Beer drinkers! Is Murphy's Stout still available near you?

What's Hot
I used to love this stout back in the day, but nowhere seems to sell it now. Does anyone have it on tap in their local?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Now you come to mention it, it used to be quite popular around here, but I can't remember the last time I saw any.

Our Maud used to enjoy a pint of it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Was trying to remember the name of that a few weeks ago .. apart from Guinness there used to be three great  Irish stouts you could find in London: Beamish, Murphys.. and one that started with the letter 'C' I think.
    Not seen any of them for years now.
  • Haven't seen it for ages
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    edited January 2019
    I know they do it in cans, but to me they taste nothing like the real thing. Heineken make them, so that's no great shock that they taste crap.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3029
    edited January 2019
    Last remember seeing Murphys on tap when travelling round the southern counties of Ireland about 8 years ago, it was everywhere, more than Guiness possibly. 
    @shrinkwrap - not thinking of Caffreys, are you?  It wasn't a stout but was an Irish ale.

I thought it, too, had gone the way of all flesh, and then it suddenly turned up on tap in a local gin palace!

• Nitefly said:
    @shrinkwrap - not thinking of Caffreys, are you?  It wasn't a stout but was an Irish ale.

I thought it, too, had gone the way of all flesh, and then it suddenly turned up on tap in a local gin palace!

Caffrey's or Murphy's?
    Nitefly said:

Caffrey's or Murphy's?
    Caffrey's.  Not seen Murphy's this century.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    I’d say the lack of any pub locater on their web site speaks volumes. It’s normally a main feature. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Caffreys.. doesn't sound like what I'm thinking of. It's a blur, back when mobiles were the size of house bricks.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    At least you’re not bitter about it
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Used to like Murphys.  Haven't seen it for ages though.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24331
    edited January 2019
    I used to drink Murphy’s by the gallon.  There’s nothing quite like a morning-after session on the bog, shitting out a mountain of Doner Kebab scented tarmacadam.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gillespie's?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    edited January 2019
    Gillespie's?
    Gillespies was brewed in Edinburgh and I did drink it quite a bit when I lived there in the 90s. A friend worked for Scottish and Newcastle and had an allowance of several cans per month. I still have a Gillespies pint glass!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    No Murphy’s on draft in any of my locals (NW London), just Guinness & crap like Camden Hells Lager.
  • It seems to me that it's only available in Ireland now. Shame.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Not draught but they had it in Tesco when I was in there at lunchtime.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    I was in Cork working at the Cork Opera House on tour as MD with the RNT a few years back. 
    The trio played opening music and then had a 45 minute break, so as ritual we used to go out and find a pub for a pint. Our local was right outside the stage door so in we went. 

I ordered three pints of Murphys (being in Cork, what else?), and as a real slow pour, at least a three stage pour....the barman had a line of pints on the go. 

He got us three and we sat at the bar chatting with him and everyone else. He asked if we were in the Opera House and we told him what we were playing and that we were in Cork for a week. After our delicious pint, we left and said goodbye. The next night we went in again and there were three pints waiting for us where we were sitting at the bar. 

Hospitality or what? We went there all week! 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50 said:
    Not draught but they had it in Tesco when I was in there at lunchtime.
    Last time I bought a can it was rank. Nothing like what i remember the real thing to be