Beer drinkers! Is Murphy's Stout still available near you?

What's Hot

Comments

• DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    discovered in my local Coop just before Christmas a limited edition stout produced by Frederic Robinson in Manchester - very nice indeed 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    Snap said:
    never a fan of Murphy's.
    Guinness Foreign Extra is good.
    I too like Belhaven Black and Blackheart.

Thornbridge do a few good stouts too. There is always one on in the tap room at their brewery in Bakewell - this place is well worth a visit as well, superb ales, and pizzas, often live bands on. A good afternoon/evening out. 

Who is going to be bold and admit to liking Mackeson?????
    Death By Caribbean Chocolate Cake by Siren would be my favourite hybrid stout...gets the job done very quickly.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My local has Sierra Nevada Knightro on, which is wonderful too, but I think hes (HOP on Wirral) the only seller in UK currently. Had to buy about 20 kegs, but its worth it
  • exocet said:
    Snap said:
    never a fan of Murphy's.

Thornbridge do a few good stouts too. There is always one on in the tap room at their brewery in Bakewell - this place is well worth a visit as well, superb ales, and pizzas, often live bands on. A good afternoon/evening out. 

Death By Caribbean Chocolate Cake by Siren would be my favourite hybrid stout...gets the job done very quickly.

That sounds like the stout equivalent of a Triple, Venti, Half Sweet, Non-Fat, Caramel Macchiato type coffee thingy.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Not had a pint of stout in over a decade, really want one now.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Joseph Holts pubs in the Manchester area don't have draught Guinness (or indeed any branded lagers).  What they do have is their own Trailblazer Stout, which seems popular enough among those who like stout.

They also have a tie-in with the Bootleg Brewery in Chorlton (behind the Horse and Jockey pub), which provides them with an American-style Pale Ale called (I think) West Coast - again very popular.

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    I used to grab an occasional 4-pack of Murphy’s at a local hoity-toity grocer here in the States, but I haven’t had a beer in a couple years (discounting what I use to make bratwursts) and haven’t really looked lately.  I’ll check next time I’m in there.

It was by far my favorite stout back when I cared.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    exocet said:
    Snap said:
    never a fan of Murphy's.

That sounds like the stout equivalent of a Triple, Venti, Half Sweet, Non-Fat, Caramel Macchiato type coffee thingy.
    It sort of is, but it's not cloyingly sweet like most in that category.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    Well I finally made it to The Hope near Goodge St, but I was very disappointed. It's probably just that my memory of Murphy's is unreliable, but I have to say that the pint I drank today was crap. It had a metallic, tangy taste, and nothing like what I think I remember. I'd love to hear what others think, as I'm gutted it wasn't what I was hoping for.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3468
    Cans arnt great for stout , kegs might be better though.

Stout - Murphys Irish Stout, keg 50 lt x 1 | Matthew Clark
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16691
    robgilmo said:

Cans and kegs are the same material.

Neither impart any metallic flavours these days.... that comes from cheap hops
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    The best stout I’ve ever tasted was home brewed.
    We used to buy a kit from Boots or the local home brew shop in the early 90s and brew around 30/40 pints at a time.
    It was loverly creamy stout .
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3468
    WezV said:
    robgilmo said:

Cans and kegs are the same material.

Neither impart any metallic flavours these days.... that comes from cheap hops
    Ive always found beer or stout to be way superior from a bottle, Guinness from a bottle is way better than from a can, draught I have found can be hit and miss though.
    I have also found than canned Guinness only tastes and drinks nicely if it has been chilled in the fridge overnight. So it could be how and for how long its been chilled that makes the difference.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Since Guinness redesigned the Nitrosurge widget inside their draught Guinness cans I've found that it pours superbly well and is delightful to drink.

I went off Guinness for years but it has returned to being my favourite canned beer/stout. Bottled Guinness is awful IMHO.

Wrt the OP ... I haven't seen Murphy's or Beamish around for years but I'm off to Cork & Kerry in a fortnight, for a 5-day road trip with my big bruv, so I shall get healthily reacquainted with both I'm sure :+1: 

• LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    My first ever gig was paid in Murphy’s, wish I still had the video of it - there’s a marked difference in our performance in the second set lol. 

Black Death stout from Whitby Brewery is lovely but not a session drink at 6.66%. 

Usually have Guinness if the pub doesn’t have any decent ales on. Not sure if it’s just luck but it seems to be more consistent these days, can only recall one bad pint in the last few years from a pub in Portland, Dorset but everything was awful there (the pub, not Portland). 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 639
    I drink Murphy's, on tap, at the Empire Tavern, Auckland, New Zealand.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    My first ever gig was paid in Murphy’s, wish I still had the video of it - there’s a marked difference in our performance in the second set lol. 

Black Death stout from Whitby Brewery is lovely but not a session drink at 6.66%. 

Usually have Guinness if the pub doesn’t have any decent ales on. Not sure if it’s just luck but it seems to be more consistent these days, can only recall one bad pint in the last few years from a pub in Portland, Dorset but everything was awful there (the pub, not Portland). 
    @Longtallronnie ;
    In London I've definitely noticed that the draught Guinness is more consistent. But of course, there are better places than others. I wouldn't advise getting a draught Guinness in Wetherspoons for example.

Anyone seen this in their local? Skip to 7:20mins
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18801
    Interesting listen about increasing popularity in stouts and porters like Guinness .  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001xly5
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 289
    duotone said:
    Anyone seen this in their local? Skip to 7:20mins
    How do they do that and is it only special taps? Worth going somewhere to see!
    Had my first Guinness for ages last week and it was great. Dunno why but low strength lager seems to be all I can consume more than one of these days. I know, hang my head in shame.

• swillerswiller Frets: 1229
    Can vouch for these.. Pretty much pub quality pint. Need special cans and available in bigger tescos.

Dont worry, be silly.