Classifieds

What's Hot

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4155
    I've had some pretty funny offers on eBay, one guy offered me £275 for a Gibson LP Studio, it happens. I have my Esquire listed on here at the moment, its around £1000 less than the new equivalent, so I think it's a very fair price, but i'd still listen to people's opinions on here, because between us all, we are 'the current market'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You can/could (not used it in a while) stop lowball offers via the ebay best offer system by setting a minimum offer limit.

I don't see the advantage though, if you have a bottom line price you can just reply to their lowball offer with your bottom line.  Some people want the item and would be willing to pay a price you'd be happy with but still ask for a huge reduction anyway just because it might work.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    To be honest I don't usually know how to price things on here, it feels too much like a community to try to scrape every last penny in.

I happily sold a Pro Junior on here for a low-ish price as they are a working musician's item with a quantifiable value to me in relation to comparable amps.

On the other hand I sold an '81 Tubescreamer on eBay on Sunday for a price I would have been too embarrassed to put on here amongst friends and peers. Because it's "collectable" I'm happy to sting whichever victim puts himself in my path, but I won't do that here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited April 2014
    The pricing of second hand Les Pauls seems to be problematic.

2013 models can be bought new for 1500 quid, so paying 1200 for a second-hand 200x model isn't particularly tempting. Similarly for Studios.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    guitarfishbay;221265" said:
    You can/could (not used it in a while) stop lowball offers via the ebay best offer system by setting a minimum offer limit.

I don't see the advantage though, if you have a bottom line price you can just reply to their lowball offer with your bottom line.  Some people want the item and would be willing to pay a price you'd be happy with but still ask for a huge reduction anyway just because it might work.
    All of this is true, although the Best Offer tag never seems to work well for me. I've now had to list reserves on all/most of my BIN auctions as there are two eBayers (remain nameless just in case they're on here) who consistently - as in, every gear auction I list so I assume I'm on their saved sellers list - who bid stupidly lowball bids within an hour of listing and thus remove the option for another user to do the BIN option. Not only is this annoying as the reserve fees are high, it also stops people who are happy to pay the BIN value. One of these users has a standard max bid of £2. On a pedal listed for £160 BIN. Total bastard. I halfheartedly want him (or her, but let's be honest) to win one someday purely so I can get the fucker's address.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7412
    on the plus side though, Its possible to trade on here, and in my recent experience, with minimum of fuss. I've ended up being able to get exactly the guitar I wanted without having to go through the ballache of selling, then finding, then purchasing. A few PMs sorted it all.  
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5222

Personally I disagree with the rule about not commenting on prices that are over the odds - a member might be daft enough to pay too much and I believe I should be able to help prevent that happening, with a polite and apposite comment on a for sale thread. To me that would be in the right community spirit. But I'm a team player and I think this forum overall is fab, so I keep schtum and play by the rules.
    I have my Esquire listed on here at the moment, its around £1000 less than the new equivalent, so I think it's a very fair price, but i'd still listen to people's opinions on here, because between us all, we are 'the current market'.
    Trying not to break the aforementioned rule... I'm not sure whether the 'new' price is any more relevant, particularly in the current market, than what things actually sell for. Ebay completed auctions is one reasonable guide, as are the classifieds here, except where people do that really annoying thing and delete their asking price after the item is sold - why??!!
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • JDE said:
    guitarfishbay;221265" said:
    You can/could (not used it in a while) stop lowball offers via the ebay best offer system by setting a minimum offer limit.

All of this is true, although the Best Offer tag never seems to work well for me. I've now had to list reserves on all/most of my BIN auctions as there are two eBayers (remain nameless just in case they're on here) who consistently - as in, every gear auction I list so I assume I'm on their saved sellers list - who bid stupidly lowball bids within an hour of listing and thus remove the option for another user to do the BIN option. Not only is this annoying as the reserve fees are high, it also stops people who are happy to pay the BIN value. One of these users has a standard max bid of £2. On a pedal listed for £160 BIN. Total bastard. I halfheartedly want him (or her, but let's be honest) to win one someday purely so I can get the fucker's address.

I wasn't aware of this.

I've never used the auction option on Ebay, I've always just listed the price I want or listed at a higher price and enabled best offer.  Interesting to know, I think I will stick with my strategy of avoiding auctions.

1. Personally I disagree with the rule about not commenting on prices that are over the odds - a member might be daft enough to pay too much and I believe I should be able to help prevent that happening, with a polite and apposite comment on a for sale thread. To me that would be in the right community spirit. But I'm a team player and I think this forum overall is fab, so I keep schtum and play by the rules.
    I have my Esquire listed on here at the moment, its around £1000 less than the new equivalent, so I think it's a very fair price, but i'd still listen to people's opinions on here, because between us all, we are 'the current market'.
    2. Trying not to break the aforementioned rule... I'm not sure whether the 'new' price is any more relevant, particularly in the current market, than what things actually sell for. Ebay completed auctions is one reasonable guide, as are the classifieds here, except where people do that really annoying thing and delete their asking price after the item is sold - why??!!

I don't know how to break up quotes on this forum so I'll address this as point 1 and point 2.

1.  The problem with that approach though is it places an expectation on people to do that every time.  That just isn't possible unless we have people who are formally in charge of monitoring prices.  I still disagree that the community should set the prices but I understand you are more arguing about preventing 'rip offs' so I do see your point at a community level.  Ignoring whether it is right or wrong I just think it is an unworkable concept.

2.  I agree the new price is not relevant - a lot of people use this as a tactic (not using anyone as a specific example here) to make an above average price seem reasonable by relating their asking price to the new price.  It is just a sales tactic, and doesn't tend to work on informed buyers.

The only thing I'd add here is that the asking price isn't necessarily the selling price.  Also the seller might have traded for something rather than selling for cash, so it is pretty tough to know if the asking price was relevant or not.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28017
    Parker said:
    Its sometimes difficult to gauge what is the 'right' price. I have listed stuff here, but no one has as much as sniffed at it. Listed on Ebay with a hefty mark-up to allow for fee's and Best Offers and it sells for full price quickly. My Vox AC30 Brian May amp is an example - I got £200 more on Ebay in the end. I know it's niche, but someone could have bought it just to flip at that price!
    That's one of the reasons we get a little hacked off with people wiping out their "For Sale" posts when they've sold the item. It makes it pretty much impossible for other people selling a similar item to work out what an appropriate price might be, even if they do use the search function (which, obviously, is recommended).

Life is too short etc but I am just puzzled. I cant question a price on a public forum thread but if I exercise the gentlemens code of conduct via PM I am free to be abused with no issue because its not in public view?

On the plus side I can message mdphillips aka sausage fingers however I like then?
    No, you aren't free to be abused. If you get abuse from somebody via PM, then you tell us (the modmins) and we'll sort it out.

It's nothing to do with keeping abuse out of public view. It's everything to do with stopping trolls preventing somebody making a sale or damaging their reputation by derailing their FS threads. It's already happened a few times - somebody decides to appoint themselves the Pricing Police, manages to wind somebody up on their own FS thread, then other people see the argument going on and steer well clear. That's the sort of crap that we don't want, because it puts people off using the classifieds in the first place.

It strikes me that if somebody is happy calling somebody out in public but not with sending a PM saying "'ere, mate, you might want to consider dropping the price on that 'cos it probably won't sell otherwise", then they're probably in it more for the audience and to show everyone else how great they are at being the Pricing Police in the first place.

For the record, I've suggested a price reduction in this way to a number of people on several forums over the last few years, and not once have I ever had any abuse (in fact, more often than not I've been thanked for the advice). Contrast that with the public way of doing things, which almost always ends in people getting upset/angry/abusive.

To be clear, though: we're not going to change the rules because a minority like to complain about other people's prices. If you don't like a price and can't negotiate, don't post. If you genuinely think somebody's out to con people, flag it. Simples.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    As a seller, if I'm a little flexible I'll put the maximum amount of cash that I would want and if someone offers my lower, I will certainly consider it.

Some stuff has a higher value, is rare, or has a high demand for; like my EVH5150III for instance. I wanted £600. I got £600. I said in the thread no offers. And that disuaded you all from making offers on it!! ;)

I agree to an extent that people shouldn't bitch about prices. Sometimes though there is a genuine need to not see people on here screwed over by others just coming here to ply their secondhand sales. It's a tricky balancing act.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3074
    Pricing is an issue. I also wonder whether it's stage of life thing for the forum. After the initial flow of classifieds on opening of the website, there's maybe a tailing off of both stuff for sale and interest in buying (at least run of the mill stuff). Wanted - new blood! There's a paradox...if the forum markets itself as THE place to trade guitars, traders may lose the confidence of knowing they are dealing within an intimate circle. 
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    It is sad that things clearly worth more are being ignored until they hit rock bottom, conversely there are some whacky prices at the other end too.

Thing is it is not exclusive to here as most forums/fora have the same or similar issues. MR had more then here and other hysterical behaviour too.

On the higher prices that are a bit OTT a friendly PM with some kind of evidence to back up the claim, i.e. finished auctions and actual prices they went for and not what they are listed for.

Possibly a similar approch to someone robbing themselves could be taken as well. For me I wouldn't feel too good about buying something on here that is clearly underpriced badly, not that it happens often. Of course if it is to get fast cash to get out of schtook or raise funds for an urgent GAS event,then that is a different dynamic and I have been there and got the T Shirt etc.

Thing is being a bit of a GAS fiend I would feel bad taking advantage, with the above caveats of course.

The one thing that does make me roll my eyes is when some folk (not many her TBF more used to MR and others) want as must as possible on a sale and the lowest possible for a purchase. If we all took that approach there would be even less movement of gear as there is now.

To me if you expect a keen deal then offering keen deals when you sell is best.

Then things that have been firum items having been through a few members hands where it is expected to be sold for £50 (and more in some cases) or so less than the week before when it was bought, maybe a modest decrease but any more is getting into the lowballing zone.

Not that this has happened to me here but I have observed it and it did male me chortle a bit.

But to be honest I am nitpicking because it is pretty good here apart from the fact nowt is moving, but it is the same elsewhere other than eBay it seems.

Recently I have made considerably more for things I sold on eBay even after all fees etc. Which is an odd thing in itself because with fees only ever going up it seems crazy as the opposite was true not that long ago.

An example was a Juno G I had listed here and oter places which I was looking to get £300 in my hand for and despite discoutntg  it and offering trades not a sniff. OK so it is a guitar forum and has a lesser membership/shop front but after fees and deliverty etc was factored in I got nearly £400 in my hand, quite a difference.

The same is true of a fair few guitar and related items i have sold in recent months. Not bitching BTW as it well get what it gets just bemused as to why eBay is a better prospect nowadays and how off kilter the whole gear/GAS scene is these days.

Sorry not meant to be a rant when I started typing LOL.

:-O
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5222
    edited April 2014
    johnnyurq said:
    It is sad that things clearly worth more are being ignored until they hit rock bottom.
    But if they don't sell until they hit 'rock bottom' then they're clearly not 'worth more' are they?

My ex-R8 is a case in point. I put it on here for £1800 then £1700 then £1600 and still didn't get any cash buyers. In the end I went for a PRS plus cash trade deal that both sides were happy with. I thought £1800 wasn't a bad price but clearly it was too high as it didn't shift.  
    :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • horsehorse Frets: 1646
    johnnyurq said:
    It is sad that things clearly worth more are being ignored until they hit rock bottom.
    But if they don't sell until they hit 'rock bottom' then they're clearly not 'worth more' are they?

My ex-R8 is a case in point. I put it on here for £1800 then £1700 then £1600 and still didn't get any cash buyers. In the end I went for a PRS plus cash trade deal that both sides were happy with. I thought £1800 wasn't a bad price but clearly it was too high as it didn't shift.  
    The small pool of buyers here means that chance plays a big part in things though, so maybe £1800 was an ok price. For all you know, somebody might have been willing to pay nearer £1800, but just didn't have the money at the time. Or somebody new might have come along and paid £1800 for it. With a bigger pool of potential buyers I think there's a greater probability that somebody will pay a higher price (within reason).
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28424

jellyroll said:
    if the forum markets itself as THE place to trade guitars, 
    We don't.

Yet.

Wonder if we should set up "theFBay".

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3074
    What I intended to say was "if the forum WERE TO market itself as the place to trade"
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    johnnyurq said:

You know what I meant in the context of my other points, you naughty monkey you.  :D

Certainly things are worth what someone is willing to pay high or low. But on classifieds like the one here sometimes looking for a keen deal is taken to a different level.

So I don't think the prices paid/offered her and other similar places are indicative of the wider value overall.

But some will not use eBay and the like where by virtue of a bigger shop window a better price is gotten. So you pays your money and takes your choice.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited April 2014
    The best thing about MR was the classifieds and probably here. Though I'll be honest and say the only sub forums I visit are the classifieds sections and guitar and amps section.

I must've made a good hundred or so deals on MR and here, atleast! and it's a big reason why this is one of only two forums I frequent. I like it, there's a no bullshit ethos that I think in most cases means that we largely have each others backs and aren't easily going to see a member get ripped off.

There have been times that I've recieved pedals in trades for example thats value has been a fair bit more than the pedal I've sent for trade but conversly I've often sent pedals worth more out than what I'm gonna recieve because it's something I want. It's swings and roundabouts and I'd rather for the sake of a few quid trade here than give eBay and Paypal the money.

I've also bought items here that I know have been bought elsewhere for less but thats the way it works. It's still been a good deal and everyones happy.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    horse said:
    The small pool of buyers here means that chance plays a big part in things though, so maybe £1800 was an ok price. For all you know, somebody might have been willing to pay nearer £1800, but just didn't have the money at the time.
    This is very true, how many times have we all metaphorically looked at each other and said "Damn, I wish I had the cash for that right now, it's a steal", so the item has not reached the real potential price it may have in the outside world.

That's not always a problem though, I sold an amp on here for £200 which I may have got another 20 or 30 quid for on eBay, or it may have topped out at £180 on a bad day, but so what.
    I had a low-risk, easy transaction, met a nice guy  and the amp went to a good player who appreciated it.

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1778
    As a seller, I've got more chance of getting decent money for something on eBay than on forums. It's just a bigger audience. As has been mentioned, if an item is not being given away on the forums, people don't tend to be interested. 

It's a shame. I'll occasionally list things here, but I give it a couple of days and if there's no bites, it goes straight onto eBay.