Classifieds

What's Hot

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    edited April 2014
    juansolo said:
    As a seller, I've got more chance of getting decent money for something on eBay than on forums. It's just a bigger audience. As has been mentioned, if an item is not being given away on the forums, people don't tend to be interested. 

It's a shame. I'll occasionally list things here, but I give it a couple of days and if there's no bites, it goes straight onto eBay.

+1 me too. I'm also not sure what possesses anyone to want to PM a seller telling them their prices are too high. Firstly, mind your own bloody business. Secondly...says who? No one has a monopoly on wisdom on this sort of thing. Someone helpfully PMd me back on MR about a rare amp I was selling, saying "you'll never get more than £400 for it". They apparently took great pleasure in it (and let's be honest, that's really why they do it). I put it on eBay and a fortnight later sold it to a rich amp collector based in Luxembourg for £1,200. The same bloke then bought my second example of the exact same amp for about £800 last autumn. This "price policing" has happened to me here too. Strikes me that the argument about saving naive forumites from themselves is as weak as they come.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4155
    I agree you get people being arseholes. Friendly advice can help though. Wasn't there a guy on here not long ago with an LP Classic for about £2000? It was suggested he look on eBay at completed listings to get an idea of prices.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Simply, there is an oversupply of guitars,
    Electric guitars have been made in vast numbers for the last 60 or so years, with the last 20 seeing a massive ramping up of production all across the world.
    Guitars don't degrade significantly over time- so pretty much all of the guitars made since the invention of the instrument are still available.

Most people here have 3 or more guitars, some of us have more than 10.
    In the 70's that would be frankly obscene- no-one had that many guitars.
    I see them now being traded like baseball cards.

Great if you are a buyer, terrible if you are a seller.
    I try to be in a position where I now only buy guitars that I expect to keep.
    My next acquisitions though will be cheap USA strats- you can get them for £500 or so, but once we go back to Oz I can sell them on for quite a bit more.

OR I can keep them. ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    JDE said:
    ... there are two eBayers (remain nameless just in case they're on here) who consistently - as in, every gear auction I list so I assume I'm on their saved sellers list - who bid stupidly lowball bids within an hour of listing and thus remove the option for another user to do the BIN option. ...
    This sounds horrendous, as well as bizarre. Isn't there an option on ebay to block certain people from bidding?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28017
    johnnyurq said:

Possibly a similar approch to someone robbing themselves could be taken as well. For me I wouldn't feel too good about buying something on here that is clearly underpriced badly, not that it happens often. Of course if it is to get fast cash to get out of schtook or raise funds for an urgent GAS event,then that is a different dynamic and I have been there and got the T Shirt etc.
    If I get a stupid deal like that (eg the G12H 55Hz that somebody sold me out of ignorance for £50-odd on MR, as opposed to the average £140-odd that they tended to sell for at the time), I'll tend to point it out and offer more. If they don't take it, I'll make sure that if I sell it on to the forum I'll pass on the same price. That seems like a fair way to do things to me.
    <space for hire>
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334

I had a low-risk, easy transaction, met a nice guy  and the amp went to a good player who appreciated it.
    And that is the strong point of this place. If you're going to be an arsehole during a sale or trade on here then you're going to be called out on it in public, the community spirit makes transactions easy and often enjoyable.

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    underdog said:

I had a low-risk, easy transaction, met a nice guy  and the amp went to a good player who appreciated it.
    And that is the strong point of this place. If you're going to be an arsehole during a sale or trade on here then you're going to be called out on it in public, the community spirit makes transactions easy and often enjoyable.

+1, I would like to feel it is a more personal kind of transaction.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    mart;221906" said:

This sounds horrendous, as well as bizarre. Isn't there an option on ebay to block certain people from bidding?
    Not to the best of my knowledge - possibly some form of large bat with a nail in it. Sadly the Fretboard rule of "don't be a dick" doesn't apply to the rest of the net!
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    JDE said:
    mart;221906" said:

Not to the best of my knowledge - possibly some form of large bat with a nail in it. Sadly the Fretboard rule of "don't be a dick" doesn't apply to the rest of the net!

Bloody right - try selling on Facebook, tyre kickers and time wasters. I spent a whole saturday waiting for a local guy who wanted to try a pedal. He never showed up, did not return any message asking if he was interested then he got upset when the pedal was sold.

This forum is a good place, sometimes peeps cross the blurry line a bit with some comments but that's life.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited April 2014
    I'm sure there's a 'blocked bidders list' option. There definitely used to be!

edit:
    Type in block bidders in search box in link below

near the bottom of results page!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    JDE said:
    All of this is true, although the Best Offer tag never seems to work well for me. I've now had to list reserves on all/most of my BIN auctions as there are two eBayers (remain nameless just in case they're on here) who consistently - as in, every gear auction I list so I assume I'm on their saved sellers list - who bid stupidly lowball bids within an hour of listing and thus remove the option for another user to do the BIN option. Not only is this annoying as the reserve fees are high, it also stops people who are happy to pay the BIN value. One of these users has a standard max bid of £2. On a pedal listed for £160 BIN. Total bastard. I halfheartedly want him (or her, but let's be honest) to win one someday purely so I can get the fucker's address.
    @JDE  ; I had a similar issue with a weirdo on the bay - started buying my stuff, then refusing to pay and leaving negative feedback -  ebay ignored my mails asking for help.  
    I sorted it by blocking him - you can go to this page and enter their username and they won't see your auctions anymore.
    http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?bidderblocklogin&amp;hc=1&amp;hm=uk`1d72f+4:g0

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    If I get a stupid deal like that (eg the G12H 55Hz that somebody sold me out of ignorance for £50-odd on MR, as opposed to the average £140-odd that they tended to sell for at the time), I'll tend to point it out and offer more. If they don't take it, I'll make sure that if I sell it on to the forum I'll pass on the same price. That seems like a fair way to do things to me.
    That's always been my approach - certainly on MR I've had some excellent deals, which I've then passed on when the inevitable happens. Or if I've sold later on ebay at a profit, surprised the original seller by splitting it with them.

I think generally on here you get out what you put in - I've had things given to me and given other stuff to people the same way, and buying and selling is the same. If you a numpty you get treated as one, what goes around and all that.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    digitalscream;221914" said:
    johnnyurq said:

Possibly a similar approch to someone robbing themselves could be taken as well. For me I wouldn't feel too good about buying something on here that is clearly underpriced badly, not that it happens often. Of course if it is to get fast cash to get out of schtook or raise funds for an urgent GAS event,then that is a different dynamic and I have been there and got the T Shirt etc.

This is pretty much my approach too. I am slightly cliched in that I still believe in good old British fair play, sad I know but I have never been money driven at all.
  • johnnyurq said:
    digitalscream;221914" said:
    johnnyurq said:

This is pretty much my approach too. I am slightly cliched in that I still believe in good old British fair play, sad I know but I have never been money driven at all.
    Gimme all your money then. :)
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I said not money driven, not absolutely mental. But it isn't a lot so it wouldn't take long to acrue again. :)

Boring things like bills etc mean I need some, and for GAS attacks natch but that is much more fun.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    It's already been said but I'll say it again.
    Folk who sell something then delete all detail from their ads are doing something that really irks me and removes from the community a source of reference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28017
    close2u said:
    Folk who sell something then delete all detail from their ads are doing something that really irks me and removes from the community a source of reference.
    Yup. Whenever I spot somebody who's done that, I tend to restore the post from the change log in the admin area. If someone requests it, I try to explain why we don't do it in the hopes that other people will get the message...
    <space for hire>
  • JeztoneJeztone Frets: 27
    edited April 2014
    I think the problem is the recession, people don't have the disposable hard currency the had 7 years ago. So prices are skewed, even dealer prices are skewed. Ive just seen a used R9 in a dealer for £3.5k & they've got a 2011 NOS one for £3.5k. This is why I don't believe the news when they tell me the recession is over. When the used guitar market recovers, then I ll believe its over. But a cynic might say this situation means that if illiquid assets are devalued, the government have more control over where you put your money. I mean if it wasn't for Pay4Later, would any new high end guitars be bought from dealers at the moment?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    Jeztone said:
    I think the problem is the recession, people don't have the disposable hard currency the had 7 years ago. So prices are skewed, even dealer prices are skewed. Ive just seen a used R9 in a dealer for £3.5k & they've got a 2011 NOS one for £3.5k. This is why I don't believe the news when they tell me the recession is over. When the used guitar market recovers, then I ll believe its over. But a cynic might say this situation means that if illiquid assets are devalued, the government have more control over where you put your money. I mean if it wasn't for Pay4Later, would any new high end guitars be bought from dealers at the moment?

you get a time lag between economic cycles, so you can't judge the economy based on people's attitude to spending

look at house prices, they shoot up over 2 years or so, crash back a bit and then do little for years (This is up north, London is crazy for houses). The stock market does the same, everyone is chicken, then when it starts going up, everyone is chicken that they will be left behind

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    close2u said:
    Yup. Whenever I spot somebody who's done that, I tend to restore the post from the change log in the admin area. If someone requests it, I try to explain why we don't do it in the hopes that other people will get the message...
    Feel bad now as I often do that, but didn't realise it were an issue. I shall in future humbly refrain.

To be fair, I usually delete the evidence so I don't cry at a later date over how stupidly low I sold something for...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom