South West Jam - Factory Studios (Bristol) Edition - 8th June 2019

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799
    Hi all again,  a quick question for those involved in sorting the recordings out, I think @mrkb and @vibetronic ; uploaded the songs I played on. Are they likely to be on Soundcloud permanently? Is there anyway that I can receive, or produce from Soundcloud, an mp3 of the songs I played on, to keep for prosperity?

Mine wont be on soundcloud for ever as they have set a 30 track? limit for free accounts, so as new ones go up old ones will be removed. I think mine are set to allow download, I can email MP3s directly if needed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    mrkb said:
    soundcloud ... set a 30 track limit for free accounts so, as new ones go up, old ones will be removed. 
    In the event of a 2020 Western Jam, all of the 2019 material would need to be cleared out - partly for space reasons and partly to avoid confusion between different renderings of the same songs.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mrkb said:
    Hi all again,  a quick question for those involved in sorting the recordings out, I think @mrkb and @vibetronic ; uploaded the songs I played on. Are they likely to be on Soundcloud permanently? Is there anyway that I can receive, or produce from Soundcloud, an mp3 of the songs I played on, to keep for prosperity?

Mine wont be on soundcloud for ever as they have set a 30 track? limit for free accounts, so as new ones go up old ones will be removed. I think mine are set to allow download, I can email MP3s directly if needed.
    Mark, unable to download the track, I'll PM my email, thanks
  • In the event of a 2020 Western Jam
    :smile: it would be so cool if there was :smile: 
    Well, it won't organise itself.
    • Some fool gotta drum up interest. 
    • There need to be enough committed subscribers to justify the cost of booking a venue. 
    • There need to be enough committed subscribers to justify the cost of hiring a seriously good drummer (or two).
    • There needs to be consensus amongst the subscribers about what songs will be performed.
    • There needs to be consensus about which subscribers will perform which songs.
    • One of the event organisers needs to live in the same town/city as the venue.
    That last point conveniently eliminates me from being an organiser.  :3

In my opinion, preparations for an event of this type in June, July or August need to begin RIGHT NOW.

Please do not assume that last year's organisers will reprise their roles.

• Well, it won't organise itself.
    • Some fool gotta drum up interest. 
    • There need to be enough committed subscribers to justify the cost of booking a venue. 
    • There need to be enough committed subscribers to justify the cost of hiring a seriously good drummer (or two).
    • There needs to be consensus amongst the subscribers about what songs will be performed.
    • There needs to be consensus about which subscribers will perform which songs.
    • One of the event organisers needs to live in the same town/city as the venue.
    That last point conveniently eliminates me from being an organiser.  :3

In my opinion, preparations for an event of this type in June, July or August need to begin RIGHT NOW.

Please do not assume that last year's organisers will reprise their roles.

Don’t worry I won’t assume anything. I don’t know how these events are initiated or by whom, it would be great to go to one this year, be it Bristol or elsewhere, if there is anyway I could help I would. 
    The 2019 Bristol event came about because the regular gatherings were held further away from some forumites than they were willing to travel. 

Ironically, the perennial favourite Midlands and North gathering locations are probably closer to you than Bristol, Hereford or Worcester.

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited February 2020
    The 2019 Bristol event came about because the regular gatherings were held further away from some forumites than they were willing to travel. 

Ironically, the perennial favourite Midlands and North gathering locations are probably closer to you than Bristol, Hereford or Worcester.

True they are and I would consider them, but Bristol is more convenient as I am able to stay with my brother in Cardiff. Anyway, will see if anything happens this year, I do appreciate how much time and effort it involves.. If not at least I now have my mp3’s, the only recordings of me playing with a band and something to play to the grandkids when I’m older! 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I could be involved. I know a couple of drummers too. Only thing I'm not good at is name tags
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I deeply suspect a 10 week old baby will have a mild impact on my ability to attend and help with long distance jams! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Legionreturns ;Family circumstances are no reason to apologise. 

Those who really want another South Western jam to happen will have to push for it, network behind the scenes, build some momentum/enthusiasm, sufficient to make the exercise financially viable. 

About one year ago, Jetfire suggested a South Wales forumite gathering. (More of a natter and comparing guitars over a bevvy than musical performance.) The reaction seemed to be, "Yeah, I'd attend that if somebody else organised it and I had the option to bail out at the last minute."

Insufficient commitment = no incentive to find/book a venue and rake in subscription payments = no event.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    @spark240 and I were involved in the organisation of last year's Western Jam and would both be happy to help again if we can secure a few more committed organisers including at least one local to the venue.
    I’d be happy to help out with pre and on the day organisation as well, as I have done at previous events But live 100 miles from Bristol so can’t help with venue/drummer booking etc.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I’m far from Bristol but I’d be happy to help with organisation. I know very little about studios and recording though, so non technical stuff for me. Roberty knows some drummers, and Connor from last year who was brilliant is an option.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited February 2020
    I'm local to the venue and happy to liaise with them

@legionreturns it was your recording kit we were using last time wasn't it? Your contribution was massive
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:

@legionreturns it was your recording kit we were using last time wasn't it? Your contribution was massive
    Yes @roberty ...I've subsequently upgraded to an XR18 so as well as setting up different monitor mixes as needed, I could record 18 tracks straight into Reaper and fully mic the drums. It would very much depend on dates though, and I definitely wouldn't be bringing a boat load of other kit.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    roberty said:

Yes @roberty ...I've subsequently upgraded to an XR18 so as well as setting up different monitor mixes as needed, I could record 18 tracks straight into Reaper and fully mic the drums. It would very much depend on dates though, and I definitely wouldn't be bringing a boat load of other kit.
    Depends what other kit we need...I have a few mics, cables etc, Last time my Kemper got used by a few folks, which is fine though It was primarily my personal settings...next time Ill put a more generous setup, Clean / Crunch / Lead etc

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    roberty said:

Depends what other kit we need...I have a few mics, cables etc, Last time my Kemper got used by a few folks, which is fine though It was primarily my personal settings...next time Ill put a more generous setup, Clean / Crunch / Lead etc
    Yeah I'm talking about kit for other rooms. 

Last time I brought my e drums etc 

More than happy to bring my mixer, laptop, drum mics and stands and uber bag of cables as well as my Supro Black Magick and / or Fender Bassbreaker. 

I have an xr18 as well so could record if needed. Might need help with getting enough mic cables though. Can bring breakables for a drum kit if needed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1