What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27697
    They don't make diesel MX5s... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    They don't make diesel MX5s... 
    They don’t make threads like this very often either..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Thinking of trading in your car? Come to us first.
    EmpDoesn'tBuyAnyCarDotCom.

We'll tell you to fuck right off with that heap of shit.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24648
    Ooooh!  I've just seen this SLK200 convertible in metallic purple with cream leather interior!  Oh yes!

Only low thirties mpg though but still!
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    edited May 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    Ooooh!  I've just seen this SLK200 convertible in metallic purple with cream leather interior!  Oh yes!

Only low thirties mpg though but still!
    That car has no MOT, it ran out 2 months ago, and make sure it has one before you drive it away, and cost up how much to replace the front brake pipe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    It’s ironic that a thread about buying a car has become a car crash.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    As much as I love the look of the SLK, I think it screams 'mid life crisis too loudly plus 31mpg is the killer when I can get double that elsewhere.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Emp_Fab said:
    As much as I love the look of the SLK, I think it screams 'mid life crisis too loudly plus 31mpg is the killer when I can get double that elsewhere.
    Possibly fun to drive...but pretty sad imo tbh.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think you should be more concerned about a 12 year old Merc with no MOT and high VED screaming financial crisis.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    edited May 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    In the space of 20mins you just done a complete 180 U-turn between following your heart or your head.

You still don't know what you want or what you need.

Decide whether you want fun or boring now before looking for the car as you still have not narrowed it down one bit.  Otherwise you are just wasting time aimlessly looking on Autotrader.

I knew exactly the cars that i wanted, down to 3 and essentially just created a Saved Search on AT and checked it once a day and see what's new popped up.  The more you investigate into a particular car the more you know about its specs, what is rare, what is common and narrow your search further.  In the end I have like a dozen cars within my search criteria.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    I think this thread is stopping you  buying a car.  Too much pressure to get an excellent deal and something that will impress us all. It is a distraction.

Stop looking at cars and just buy a car. It is very hard to buy a completely shit car these days.  My car is knackered and probably only worth a couple of hundred if that but do I expect it to make it to the next MOT in 6 months? More than likely.  I have an emergency car fund if I need to be towed/rescued/replace it.  I regularly do 200 mile round trips in it.

As far as I can tell you want a car for a short commute not driving around the country all day.   Get something unfashionable. Get something you don't care about.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905017499982
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    I don't like that SLK at all.

If I had 6-7 grand now I'd still be looking at a 6 cylinder BMW 3 series. Diesel too, regardless of mileage (I do 7000 per year and have had no DPF issues at all as it gets at least a weekly thrash to keep it all clear). I get immense power, great MPG,style, refinement, comfort, handling and crucially, (insisting on FBMWSH) reliability.

Auctions????
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27941
    Coincidentally, there’s a *really* funny thread going on over at the CDoSW* forum.  Check it out - it’s funnier than anything on here.  Almost.

They’ve got a competition going on at the moment (first prize; a set of tailored car mats!) that’s been running longer than any competition they’ve ever run before.  Weeks and weeks and weeks.

The challenge is to sell X when a customer comes in wanting to buy Y, where X is as completely different to Y as its possible to get.

So far they’ve had a guy wanting to buy a “sensible” (ie cheap to run & maintain) shopping trolley, who almost left with a Mercedes convertible (that didn’t even have an MOT!).

Another one went in to buy a Volvo hatchback and was tempted by a motorbike.  But he wouldn’t swap his hat for a helmet.

There was the guy going to buy a Fiesta who then took a Tranny for a test drive (that’s a van BTW).

An eco-warrior who’d been persuaded that the devil drinks diesel, whose eye was taken by the shapely (if hardly curvaceous) body of a Honda diesel.  Yup, a *Honda* diesel!

Another mark customer just wanted a nice reliable runabout, until he was shown an Alfa Romeo that almost seduced him with its sexy red undercoat (probably rust).

I reckon that they’re making it all up.  No buyer would be so easily swayed, surely??

*Car Dealers of South Wales.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Are you sure all of those people weren't one person who shall remain nameless?

Makes you wonder who is playing who.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2504
    Just decide whether you want low cost motoring or whether you want something fun/frivolous/good to drive/whatever.

If you want low cost reliable motoring then get a 2014 Kia Ceed and enjoy the 2 years warranty it still has.

If you want fun etc then get something fun, just remember the running costs on a £7k car that was £38k new will be much more than on a £7k car that was £16k new.
    An enthusiast won't mind VANOS work needing done on a BMW, you probably will.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    I dithered too long on that white Civic - it was sold today.

I’m now giving serious thought to going back to that little Honda CR-Z that’s still up for sale at £6K in Peterborough with 95K on the clock.

I know I looked at the one in Cardiff and was surprised at how small it was and wasn’t keen on the visibility, but... I do like shape and the 80’s sci-fi dash.  I could just go and get it and if I really can’t get on with it then I can sell it on and get something else.  I mean, I’ve got to get something - and bloody quickly too.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27941
    Emp_Fab said:
    in Peterborough
    Is there a Car Dealers of East Midlands forum too???

£6k for a CRZ with 95k miles?

”saw you coming”
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Ok, time to go left field, but still within the realms of possibility. The thinking gentleman’s option if you will....

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904267343227
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3117
    Buy an MR2 MKIII and enjoy the summer sun without losing your license. Then you get 6 months to think about what you really want. Get a facelift one, no issues, toyota reliability, mid engine F.U.N! Best cars I ever owned. 

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    Going back to your original brief, this is at Cardiff Car Shop. A guy at work had one and rated it very highly:

https://www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/PEUGEOT/308/LP65SBY
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom