Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    Emp_Fab said:
    I dithered too long on that white Civic - it was sold today.

I’m now giving serious thought to going back to that little Honda CR-Z that’s still up for sale at £6K in Peterborough with 95K on the clock.

I've never spent more than 600 quid on a car with 95k on it. 

My current band bus was £1,500 with 63k on it.

I know modern cars are good for higher miles, but nearly 100k is half fucked in anyone's language. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Deadman said:
    Going back to your original brief, this is at Cardiff Car Shop. A guy at work had one and rated it very highly:

https://www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/PEUGEOT/308/LP65SBY
    I have one (2.0 GT Line) and like it very much indeed. 

I suspect it'll get the brush off because 'French'. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Will Emp buy a car before the DFS sale ends? 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27941
    Nitefly said:
    Will Emp buy a car before the DFS sale ends? 

Do you mean;
    1. He's been looking for his next car at DFS?  To be fair, they do have big carparks.

or

2. He's decided that  the seats in DFS are more comfortable than in a CRZ, so he's now buying a sofa (on wheels, obvs).
    ?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    jaytmon said:
    Ok, time to go left field, but still within the realms of possibility. The thinking gentleman’s option if you will....

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904267343227
    That's a good shout. A friend of mine has one.

Fast, practical, stylish, and the inside of it looks more like an aircraft cockpit than any other car I've been in, which might appeal to @Emp_Fab :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Looking forward to Monday. 

First day in new job and @Emp_Fab is late for work because he missed his bus connection. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    ICBM said:
    jaytmon said:
    Ok, time to go left field, but still within the realms of possibility. The thinking gentleman’s option if you will....

Fast, practical, stylish, and the inside of it looks more like an aircraft cockpit than any other car I've been in, which might appeal to @Emp_Fab :).
    But what will is opinion be on the leather gear knob?  Might just make or break it.
    Veganic said:
    ICBM said:
    jaytmon said:

But what will is opinion be on the leather gear knob?  Might just make or break it.
    As long as it's been regularly serviced, it should be OK ...
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    ICBM said:
    jaytmon said:

My Dad had a 9-5 Aero and it was an absolutely stinking car. Comfortable to drive, plenty of space and went like the clappers. 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    ICBM said:
    jaytmon said:

Great idea. I was looking at these on eBay yesterday. They seem a lot of car for the money. I was looking at Volvo C30s too... they also seem a good amount of car for the price... I think they were mentioned earlier in the thread.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    I still think he should get a Volvo T5.  Just accept the 30mpg figure and enjoy the unique shape  and decent reliability. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24648
    @hywelg My first day was the 13th mate!  I've been farting around on the train and getting lifts all week.

I don't think £6K is expensive for a CRZ with 95K on the clock.  It's the going rate.  "Expensive" is relative TO the going rate.  Other similar ones are going for the same, more or less.

Plus 95K isn't knackered for a well looked after Honda VTEC engine.  That's only just been run-in by Honda standards!
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24648
    edited May 2019
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    edited May 2019
    So how many miles are you expecting to put on top of that 95K?
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Emp_Fab said:
    @hywelg My first day was the 13th mate!  I've been farting around on the train and getting lifts all week.

I don't think £6K is expensive for a CRZ with 95K on the clock.  It's the going rate.  "Expensive" is relative TO the going rate.  Other similar ones are going for the same, more or less.

Plus 95K isn't knackered for a well looked after Honda VTEC engine.  That's only just been run-in by Honda standards!
    Well now the deadline has passed this could go on for ever. I'll be back in 5 pages.......maybe
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    The Honda looks a nice car, wasn't there a lower mileage one too, or has that now sold ?

In the past I've had three Saab 9-5s and a couple of 9-3s, couldn't fault any of them.  My favourite was a 9-3 Aero convertible, very quick, comfortable and reasonable rear seats although access was a little tricky.  Here's one just up the road from you:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-9-3-2-0-T-Auto-2009-Vector-Sport-Convertible-74K-Miles-FSH-Immaculate/132973932290?hash=item1ef5dd2f02:g:NOAAAOSwQXxce7Oh
    (nothing to do with me btw)
    Emp_Fab said:

That's all true enough.

But you want "a car".  It appears from the last 18 pages that you're not too  fussed on exactly which make, model or spec.

£6k might not be expensive for a CRZ with 95k miles, but it's an expensive option if you just want "a car". 

There are - IMHO, and the opinion of many others here - many better options.  Yes, Honda build quality, but 95k miles on any high-revving engine is going to result in some wear & tear.  Some significant wear & tear.  Plus, expected life of many components is a factor of both age and mileage.    Stuff is going to be getting to end-of-life.  You're going to be replacing lots of bits.  Or your local Honda garage will be.

With £6k in your pocket, you've got a choice of a wide range of boring but cheap to run/maintain and relatively  young options.  The Hyundai  (et al) options.

Or you could go nutty and splash it on something fun with a V6/V8, but that's going to cost you in running costs (tax, fuel, insurance, maintenance) and has a higher risk of a big repair bill at some point.

Or, or, or, etc.  You don't seem to have decided on diesel vs petrol, large vs small, fun vs boring, etc, etc, etc.  Unless you've now determined that a CRZ the other side of the country is the choice that ticks your boxes.

We can all make suggestions, because there are many options out there that will tick all the boxes that we'd have.  You have to decide what your boxes are.

With £6k in my pocket, I'd be buying a Mk2 TT.  TFSI model. 

Look carefully and you'll get FASH, ~60k miles, younger than the CRZ, a way more relaxing drive with more poke, better kit, better reliability, lower costs and fewer rattles (whether from the car or your bones).

But those are my boxes. 
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    With 6K in my pocket I’d be buying a cheap car and a new amp!! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Golf tdi
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    Emp_Fab said:

I didn't say it was knackered, I said it was half fucked, on the basis that 200,000 miles IS fucked. 

I don't doubt it's the going rate, I just meant that I wouldn't want to spend £6k and still be looking at imminent replacements of suspension bushes, calipers, shocks and sundry other tedious bits and pieces. 

For me, £6k means you can pretty well ignore your car and get on with your life for at least a couple of years, not lying under it freeing off stuck bolts for the MOT.