Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2957
    FFS,  I have been away for a week and have come back to 150 notifications, mostly about this thread.  Just go buy a fekking car, any fekking car so we can start taking the piss out of you for your choice.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24675
    No.  It’s my mission in life to see how far I can take this thread without ever buying a car.

I wish that were true but I have to buy something before next Monday.

After a lot of searching and rejecting, I’ve come to realise what my priorities are.  In order of importance, I want a car that;
    • Is unusual.  I don’t want to be invisible in a Golf/Astra/Focus/Generic hatchback shape.  I want something that looks unusual in a sporty/sexy kind of way, not unusual as in “Jesus H, WTF is that thing!?” kind of way.  Hence my leaning towards the CRZ.
    • Has some extras... All my life I’ve driven cars with blanking panels where switches would be for kit that only comes with the higher spec models.  I want to feel a little luxury, fancy lighting, heated seats, that kind of thing.  Something that’s going to make me feel less poor, even if it’s on an older car.
    • It can’t be a gas-guzzler.  I’m not wealthy enough to not care about mpg.  A real mpg average of low 40’s is a minimum.
    • No French cars under any circumstances
    • No Vauxhalls under any circumstances 
    • Or Fiats
    • Or tiny beep-beep city cars that are used to take the kids to school and pick up a bit of shopping.
    • It must score above average in reliability surveys.
    • I actually don’t really care about fuel type, but if it has good eco credentials then all the better.  Hybrids are good.  ...and no, I don’t like the Prius - that falls easily into the “Jesus H, WTF is that thing!?” category in the looks dept!
    • Seats: 4 is better, 2+2 is ok, 2 is alright if the car scores well in other areas.
    • Performance is last on my list.  
    I know that seems like a big list, but it’s not really!

When you look at this, maybe you can see why I keep leaning towards a white CRZ or Civic.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2957
    Emp_Fab said:
    No.  It’s my mission in life to see how far I can take this thread without ever buying a car.

After a lot of searching and rejecting, I’ve come to realise what my priorities are.  In order of importance, I want a car that;
    • Is unusual.  I don’t want to be invisible in a Golf/Astra/Focus/Generic hatchback shape.  I want something that looks unusual in a sporty/sexy kind of way, not unusual as in “Jesus H, WTF is that thing!?” kind of way.  Hence my leaning towards the CRZ.
    • Has some extras... All my life I’ve driven cars with blanking panels where switches would be for kit that only comes with the higher spec models.  I want to feel a little luxury, fancy lighting, heated seats, that kind of thing.  Something that’s going to make me feel less poor, even if it’s on an older car.
    • It can’t be a gas-guzzler.  I’m not wealthy enough to not care about mpg.  A real mpg average of low 40’s is a minimum.
    • Or Fiats
    • Or tiny beep-beep city cars that are used to take the kids to school and pick up a bit of shopping.
    • I actually don’t really care about fuel type, but if it has good eco credentials then all the better.  Hybrids are good.  ...and no, I don’t like the Prius - that falls easily into the “Jesus H, WTF is that thing!?” category in the looks dept!
    • Seats: 4 is better, 2+2 is ok, 2 is alright if the car scores well in other areas.

When you look at this, maybe you can see why I keep leaning towards a white CRZ or Civic.

You keep coming back to the CRZ.  Go buy one.  

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1750
    I think i've posted this before somewhere in the depths of this thread. A friend of mine has had a used car dealership for 25 years and he avoids VAG (VW Audi) group cars like the plague, nothing but trouble. He says that if he could, he would only deal in Kia Hyundai and Toyota cars. Never gets them back for warranty claims.   
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    Emp_Fab said:

You really should have said earlier - there's a couple of Bentley Mulsannes on Autotrader for under 8k...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743

ronnyb said:
    I think i've posted this before somewhere in the depths of this thread. A friend of mine has had a used car dealership for 25 years and he avoids VAG (VW Audi) group cars like the plague, nothing but trouble. He says that if he could, he would only deal in Kia Hyundai and Toyota cars. Never gets them back for warranty claims.   
    I can understand that from a dealer's point of view, and from the position of someone who just wants something totally bombproof - that's a Toyota every single time. 

But a VW is an 80% nicer car for probably 20% worse reliability. For something you spend a significant amount of time sitting in an interacting with I'd say that's worth it every time. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    The first time I saw a cr-z I did think what the fuck is that, is someone trying to look like Straker offa that UFO?

When I first say the last but one Civic I thought oh look a space age Allegro.

I don't think the car you want exists. Do you fancy one of those Nissan Figaro things?

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31935

ronnyb said:
    I can understand that from a dealer's point of view, and from the position of someone who just wants something totally bombproof - that's a Toyota every single time. 

But a VW is an 80% nicer car for probably 20% worse reliability. For something you spend a significant amount of time sitting in an interacting with I'd say that's worth it every time. 
    Not at 2am in the pissing rain with a car full of band gear it isn't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    Just go and buy the Saab. Pretend it’s a Viggen...

It’s everything on your list *and* fast.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    Go buy the Honda Emp, anything else would be a disappointment for you.  All boxes ticked.....just get on with it now.  FWIW, I like something a wee bit different with a few toys.  Get that deposit on it before you (or someone else) changes your mind.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Everyone who is posting “just go out and buy x or y”

You do realise Emp will be back with a “that f^*%%* car you told me to buy, well the suspension/engine/steering/electrics/wheels/seats/everyotherbitis knackered and I blame you lot!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971
    Emp_Fab said:

• Or Fiats

So.

Can you now describe your ideal wife in a similar bulleted list of attributes?

And then I’m going to ask you to score your actual wife against the list.

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    Everyone who is posting “just go out and buy x or y”

You do realise Emp will be back with a “that f^*%%* car you told me to buy, well the suspension/engine/steering/electrics/wheels/seats/everyotherbitis knackered and I blame you lot!
    Thread fatigue has a lot to answer for.  :)
  • Jesus wept I hope EMP never has to buy another house 
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited May 2019
    VW Scirocco 2.0 TDI with DSG  and full VW Service history would be my choice, absolutely love mine, my last three cars -  VW  Jetta Sport, Eos Sport, Scirocco GT have all had the very reliable six speed DSG box.  The Scirocco is the car you want
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971
    Doug said:
     The Scirocco is the car you want
    Actually, a guy Emps knows, well, the next door-but-one neighbour of his stepson’s dog had a Scirocco and it was a real pos.  No way he’s going to get one of those!

The stepson’s dog’s Scirocco had a total failure in the outside lane of the M1, in the pouring rain, late at night in the middle of rush hour.  His pregnant wife was with him at the time, and her phone battery had just run out.

No warning, nothing.  Car just cut out and nothing would get it started.

Had to wait there, in the outside lane, hazards flashing, with cars & trucks racing by at 80mph until the rescue truck could get there.  Highways Agency had to close the motorway to allow recovery, and she (the pregnant wife) still gets PTSD flashbacks.

Nothing could get that car going again.  Well, not until they filled it up with fuel.

The stepson’s dog posted all about it on the other forum (no-one knows you’re a dog on the internet, right) and Emps read all about it.

At least, the dog thinks it was a Scirocco.  TBH, all cars look pretty much the same to a dog.  Could have been a CRZocco.  Or an Astrocco.  But that’s not the point.

Scirocco.  No way.

(What time is the next bus due?)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Go buy the Honda Emp, anything else would be a disappointment for you.  All boxes ticked.....just get on with it now.  FWIW, I like something a wee bit different with a few toys.  Get that deposit on it before you (or someone else) changes your mind.
    I agree, it takes all your brain requirements and most importantly, your heart.

• jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    I’m like a sex addict returning to a brothel with this thread - it keeps compelling me but ultimately leads to disappointment and an empty feeling inside...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    jaytmon said:
    I’m like a sex addict returning to a brothel with this thread - it keeps compelling me but ultimately leads to disappointment and an empty feeling inside...
    At least you get to finish in a brothel.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:

Nothing could get that car going again.  Well, not until they filled it up with fuel
    A friend in Ireland bought a new motor because his had “broken down” and was in the garage waiting to be looked at for 3 days. Turns out his fuel gauge had broke and stuck on 1/4 and it had just ran out of fuel. 

He was happy anyway he sold the older one and kept the latest acquisition  =)