Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28006
    boogieman said:

. Unless it’s a moped.  ;)
    There you go, throwing in more options that he hadn't thought about.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1034
    Buy a cheap car and spend the rest on a new guitar... tell her in doors you spent 7k on a car :) 
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 841
    Buy a cheap car and spend the rest on a new guitar... tell her in doors you spent 7k on a car :) 

But then that would start a 'what guitar do I want?' thread and no-one needs that.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16399
    Somewhere near the start I suggested a Volvo C30. I still think that's as close to ticking the Emp's boxes as anything else and you could get one in nice condition for this money. 

Or 

Emp for PM. He'll just get driven everywhere then and the inability to make a decision seems to be a prerequisite for the job. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2511
    30hertz said:

Picking my new baby up on Saturday. Skoda Octavia SE L in metallic Moon White, with the 2.0 190PS petrol engine and 7-speed DSG 'box -- it's the dealership's ex-demonstrator, so it's loaded with expensive extras like the range-topping satnav, big sound system, full leather, reversing camera, etc etc.  5 months old and 4k on the clock, and 10 grand cheaper than it would have been new.

My missus had a weekend test-drive of the new BMW Z4 M40i earlier this month. What an absolute hooligan of a car. Put it in Sport+ mode and nail the throttle, and all hell breaks loose. 0-60 in four and a half seconds, and a fabulous noise. Absolutely intoxicating.

The Octavia should be great, the new 7 speed DSG is a big improvement on the old 6 speed one. I almost bought a Superb with the 270bph petrol and 4x4, but it had the old 6 speed unit. In the end I ended up with another GTD estate, just mk 7.5 rather than my old Mk7.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Somewhere near the start I suggested a Volvo C30. I still think that's as close to ticking the Emp's boxes as anything else and you could get one in nice condition for this money. 

Or 

Emp for PM. He'll just get driven everywhere then and the inability to make a decision seems to be a prerequisite for the job. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Or 

That's the one. Volvo build, a few toys, decent performance and a bit quirky ( depends a bit on the angle but it's not a straightforward box). 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492

Or 

That's the one. Volvo build, a few toys, decent performance and a bit quirky ( depends a bit on the angle but it's not a straightforward box). 
    only downside I found to them, is that their turning circle is larger than a cruise ship (which seems to be a Volvo thing in general) 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31964
    joneve said:

Or 

only downside I found to them, is that their turning circle is larger than a cruise ship (which seems to be a Volvo thing in general) 
    My old 850 had an amazing turning circle, the front wheels almost tucked in at right angles to the body. 

My much smaller Vauxhall is awful in comparison, I often bottle out of perfectly adequate parking spaces if there are too many people around, I'm 54 for God's sake...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7127
    tFB Trader

That's just the old Ford Focus in drag.

You'd be better off buying a Ford Focus.
    edited May 2019

But Emp doesn't want something common looking.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    Another vote for the C30, nice looking motors.

But Emp doesn't want something common looking.  
    Precisely. Trying to tick his  boxes ( not a euphemism). 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    TTony said:
    Nitefly said:
    Will Emp buy a car before the DFS sale ends? 

Do you mean;
    1. He's been looking for his next car at DFS?  To be fair, they do have big carparks.

or

2. He's decided that  the seats in DFS are more comfortable than in a CRZ, so he's now buying a sofa (on wheels, obvs).
    ?
    Definitely 2.

I think.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24700
    @RaymondLin I didn’t know the Veloster existed until I drove past one parked in my local pub - so to answer your question, yes, I at least have seen one  =)

Re the Volvo C30...  it’s close but no cigar.  The arse of it is pretty ugly.  I think the V40 is much better styled.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Emp_Fab said:
     I didn’t know the Veloster existed until I drove past one parked in my local pub
    Yup - they like a drink,
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    @RaymondLin I didn’t know the Veloster existed until I drove past one parked in my local pub - so to answer your question, yes, I at least have seen one  =)

Re the Volvo C30...  it’s close but no cigar.  The arse of it is pretty ugly.  I think the V40 is much better styled.
    Re the C30's arse.  The C30 is a homage to the classic P1800ES.  The V40 has evolved past that and lost the glass rear to be able to relate to the P1800ES.

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1750
    I had the saloon version of the P1800ES, the P1800. Excuse the quality of the picture it was taken 40 years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I like the C30.  Dared to be different.  And yours must be a nice little mover @RaymondLin ;
    TTony said:
    I like the C30.  Dared to be different.  And yours must be a nice little mover @RaymondLin ;
    It moves faster than I need :)