Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12053
    Emp_Fab said:
    Just out of curiosity, would anyone be put off by a ‘10 plate car having “5+” previous keepers?

My first reaction to that is ‘Nobody seems to want to keep it for very long’.
    What is then MOT history like?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2511
    Depends on the car. If it's a coupé or convertible (i.e. unlikely to be someone's main car, more likely something they got for the summer or weekends) then not really as these are the sort of cars people buy on impulse, get bored, then sell quite quickly.

If it's a saloon or family hatchback then yes it would raise a few questions. 2-3 is fine (often the first owner will have been the dealership)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28006
    Emp_Fab said:
    Just out of curiosity, would anyone be put off by a ‘10 plate car having “5+” previous keepers?

I'd steer (!) clear.

If no-one's kept it more than a couple of years, it's unlikely that they've been too bothered about proper maintenance or just generally looking after it.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    Emp_Fab said:

Yes.

That car is trouble.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24701
    edited May 2019
    RaymondLin said:

Stop ruling out perfectly good cars for vanity, it’s just a colour, you don’t have time to be picky.  You did 2 months ago but not when you start work next week.

That VERY specific red you want doesn’t sound like a standard free option but something very specific and expensive and likely not offered on any of the cars you are looking for.

when will you understand?
    Okay....  I appreciate your input, along with everyone’s, but at the end of the day, I’m going to do what I want.  Regarding the colour, Candy Apple red is more of a generic term for a particular type of red.  It used to be something you only got on custom cars and hot-rods but has made it onto the standard palettes of many of the main manufacturers over the past ten years or so.  I’ve seen it on several cars I’ve looked at recently, so it’s not exactly rare.  Besides, I have whatever time I wish...  as I pointed out earlier in this thread, I’ve already started the new job.  My third week commences on Tuesday. 
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's crunch time.  I HAVE TO buy something this weekend.  I've been told.
    Emp_Fab said:
    I’m outta time.  I’m probably getting this this morning...
    Emp_Fab said:
    Right, this weekend I have to get something.  

Emp_Fab said:
      Besides, I have whatever time I wish.
    .... make your mind up!

I know, I know.  Chances of that are not high.
    edited May 2019
    There are men, there are women and there is @Emp_Fab ;;;

On a £6k budget with 3 days to buy a car, you got to realise you cannot be picky.

if you have infinite time to buy it then say so, stop making up lies giving fake deadlines.  Who are you trying to kid?
    TTony said:
    Today is the finale....let’s see!
    Do you really believe that?

I'm waiting for the  bit where Emp posts "Sorry guys, it was all a dream, I've still got my old job, I don't need a new car, and I didn't kill Sue Ellen*".

* I don't remember the details!
    You are right, I’ve never met anyone so indecisive.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    FFS, no car..... Back in another few pages. I wish there was a LOL button for the whole thread.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    I think Emp's problem is choice. The internet is to blame. Most of us will remember the days of scouring the local rags and waiting for the Thursday edition of Autotrader to come out so we could jump on the best motors. Exchange and Mart too, but that wasn't as good.

I remember some long disappointing trips as well as fruitful ones back in the day but the search was so much more fun then.

Having said that, he does seem to be an indecisive bugger. I wouldn't wanna go shopping with you Emp.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2511
    Some of the mods need to close this thread until we get evidence of a car having been bought
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    Deadman said:
    I think Emp's problem is choice. The internet is to blame. Most of us will remember the days of scouring the local rags and waiting for the Thursday edition of Autotrader to come out so we could jump on the best motors. Exchange and Mart too, but that wasn't as good.

I remember some long disappointing trips as well as fruitful ones back in the day but the search was so much more fun then.

Having said that, he does seem to be an indecisive bugger. I wouldn't wanna go shopping with you Emp.
    I don’t think choice is the problem, he can’t even decide whether he wants petrol or diesel!  That’s not really a choice, that’s a decision arrived by your own lifestyle and need for the car.

i don’t even think he actually want a car or need one, if one actually need a car for work one would have bought a car for work.
    edited May 2019
    I don't remember even contemplating diesel in the 80's Ray. It's been a short lived love affair in the grand scheme of things too!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24701
    @Deadman is bang on the money.  It’s too much choice.

In any case, I have spent the day eliminating the Volvo V40 and the Honda Civic.  As the day has worn on, I’ve been swaying more towards the Veloster.  It’s bigger than the CRZ, the visibility is much better and it’s even weirder by having two doors on one side and one one door on the other!
    It’s also cheaper for a similar age and mileage.

So now, my next choice is colour.  It’s fair to say Hyundai have not been conservative with their palette!

Which is your favourite?

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Buy the colour that you want...why do you care what colour we like? We are not the one driving it.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2958
    Yellow.  

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Our Maud says the first one, yellow.  I think I prefer the blue.

How come there's so much choice of colour on such a "rare" car?

Nitefly said:
    Our Maud says the first one, yellow.  I think I prefer the blue.

How come there's so much choice of colour on such a "rare" car?

Those are just the colour the manufacturer offered, not the car that Emp have found locally for him to buy tomorrow.  That's before the spec, the mileage, the service history, all the important things when buying a car…but the first criteria he has is…what colour should I get.

For all he knows, the only ones on Autotraders now are all silver.  Or the one with the colour he wants is a CAT D.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, FFS, just go and buy whichever car is the best one (price, mileage, history, condition) within 50miles.

Next you’ll be asking which alloy wheel design is best, or whether the SEplus trim is worth the extra, or whether the matching air freshener is worth 59p.

Shit, or get off the pot.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I actually like the green, orange and yellow ones. The 'normal' colours don't work on this car for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom