Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    edited May 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    Deadman said:
    This just appeared on Gumtree this morning. 16000 miles and 8 service stamps! In Kidderminster.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/hyundai/2012-hyundai-veloster-1.6-4dr/1340784860
    There is no way in hell he will get one with lower mileage.  I’d take this in a second over a colour.
    More fool you then.

A nine year old car with only 17K on the clock?  You’d have to be out of your mind to get that!
    7 years, it’s a 2012 plate.

seriously, counting isn’t really your forte is it? Lol

i got my car (5 and a half years old at the time with 16500 on the clock), 2 owners and it’s been amazing.

Out of my mind?
    Yes....  a seven year old car with only 17K on the clock is averaging just 2400 miles a year - or 6.5 miles a day.   90% of engine wear occurs in the first few minutes of starting an engine from cold.  Any engine that's only done 17K in 7 years is highly likely to have been used for a lot of very short trips.  Short trips mean the engine never really gets to warm up properly before it gets shut off again and condensation and accumulated moisture in the oil never really gets evaporated off - diminishing the efficiency of the lubrication at a time when it's needed the most.  In short, a regularly serviced engine with 70,000 on the clock made up of mostly motorway journeys is very likely to be in much better shape than a regularly serviced engine with 20,000 on the clock made up of multiple trips to the local shops.  The way in which the miles have been accumulated is more important than the actual number.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Deadman said:
    This just appeared on Gumtree this morning. 16000 miles and 8 service stamps! In Kidderminster.

There is no way in hell he will get one with lower mileage.  I’d take this in a second over a colour.
    More fool you then.

A nine year old car with only 17K on the clock?  You’d have to be out of your mind to get that!

i got my car (5 and a half years old at the time with 16500 on the clock), 2 owners and it’s been amazing.

Out of my mind?
    Yes....  a nine year old car with only 17K on the clock is averaging just 1800 miles a year - or 5 miles a day.   90% of engine wear occurs in the first few minutes of starting an engine from cold.  Any engine that's only done 17K in 9 years is highly likely to have been used for a lot of very short trips.  Short trips mean the engine never really gets to warm up properly before it gets shut off again and condensation and accumulated moisture in the oil never really gets evaporated off - diminishing the efficiency of the lubrication at a time when it's needed the most.  In short, a regularly serviced engine with 70,000 on the clock made up of mostly motorway journeys is very likely to be in much better shape than a regularly serviced engine with 20,000 on the clock made up of multiple trips to the local shops.
    If you know this much detail - how come you can’t make your mind up??!!
    Knowing a lot about engines doesn't mean I'm automatically a decisive person !

Emp_Fab said:
    Knowing a lot about engines doesn't mean I'm automatically a decisive person !
    A manual decisive person?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73104
    Emp_Fab said:

Yes....  a seven year old car with only 17K on the clock is averaging just 2400 miles a year - or 6.5 miles a day.   90% of engine wear occurs in the first few minutes of starting an engine from cold.  Any engine that's only done 17K in 7 years is highly likely to have been used for a lot of very short trips.  Short trips mean the engine never really gets to warm up properly before it gets shut off again and condensation and accumulated moisture in the oil never really gets evaporated off - diminishing the efficiency of the lubrication at a time when it's needed the most.  In short, a regularly serviced engine with 70,000 on the clock made up of mostly motorway journeys is very likely to be in much better shape than a regularly serviced engine with 20,000 on the clock made up of multiple trips to the local shops.  The way in which the miles have been accumulated is more important than the actual number.
    You have absolutely no idea of whether that's true, any more than you do whether a car with what you consider the 'right' mileage has been driven in a way you'd consider 'right'. Modern engines don't tend to suffer from initial wear anywhere near as much as older ones anyway, that's one of the reasons modern cars are so much more reliable.

This is the last comment I'm going to make because you're just being purposely obtuse about it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Deadman said:

More fool you then.

Out of my mind?
    How do you know they are all short trips?

Do you know why mine was so low? Because the previous owner travelled a lot and spent a lot of time abroad through work.  It was a trade in at a Land Rover dealer where the used car section on the lot had Lamborghinis, Porsche’s and the new V8 Mustang.  My Volvo was the cheapest car there by miles and the previous owner is a known customer to the dealer.  These kind of people often have multiple cars.

lets face it, in this thread we have you 

1 - thinking getting a Mercedes with no MOT is a good idea
    2 - getting a Diesel for low mileage
    3 - dismissing good cars with full annual service history 
    4 - asking if 5 previous owners is good or bad

Sorry to be blunt but your car buying process appears to have no logic, indecisive and irrational. Sensible choices are dismissed for a paint job but a car with no MOT and high running cost have you contemplate them for their looks.

You can at least check out the car, see if it has the typical high clutch, trolley dings, with seat bolsters, worn steering wheel for signs of short frequent drives.

and lets be real honest here, whilst the Volester isn’t a common car, it is no exotic.  For most people it’s just a Hyundai, those who knows the car knows North America just got a N version which is much improved and Europe is not getting it which is disappointing.  If true stand out from the crowd is what you are after, it’s not an Hyundai.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    edited May 2019
    I agree with what you're saying about mileage in principle Emp, however when I bought my very low mileage Civic it was because in the 4 years of it's life it had been off the road a lot because the owner had been ill. 

Edit: And I've just thought of another one! My FIL's cars were always around this type of mileage for the age because he only ever used them at weekends (sometimes they only ever saw the outside of the garage on a non-rainy Saturday!!) to take my MIL to the coast etc. They were always mint and well maintained when he got rid of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    I'd have the Kidderminster car in a heartbeat !  Modern engineering and modern oils, particularly when changed every 2,000 miles or so would have that sitting on my driveway if it was on my shopping list.
  • Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
    edited May 2019
    Simple fact is...

... on this thread there's always a reason not to buy.  Freud would have a field day.   :-)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16422
    Deadman said:
    I agree with what you're saying about mileage in principle Emp, however when I bought my very low mileage Civic it was because in the 4 years of it's life it had been off the road a lot because the owner had been ill. 
    I remember looking at a ten year old camper with only a few thousand on the clock. Those had been done in the first couple of years then it had sat on the drive due to illness and was eventually  being sold off as part of his estate. Not that there aren’t other potential problems with being sat on a drive for eight years but not the ones Emp suggests. 
    As that Hyundai in Kidderminster comes with a warranty I’d take the gamble that only problems caused by the lack of mileage would show up within the warranty period. 

As as I drive to work on Tuesday, going past Kidderminster, I’ll spare a thought for Emp. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    He is going to buy one with 80,000 miles with half the service history from a private seller now just because it’s white.

If he ever buys a car.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Dude... do me a favour and f**k off out of the thread will you ?  You're getting on my tits now with your snide little digs.

4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    Dude... do me a favour and f**k off out of the thread will you ?  You're getting on my tits now with your snide little digs.
    Nope, I’m quite enjoying this car crash of car buying.  It’s hilarious, I’ve never seen anything like this, it’s like one of those bad movies, it’s so bad it’s funny.

I’ve tried to help you for 2 months, evidently that doesn’t work, so I’m trying a different tactic to see if i can get you to buy a car, any car.

While we are talking about that red one and the math behind its low mileage and the idea that a motorway journey is preferred.  I understand the logic however the logic also would imply the said person would buy the car for the motorway miles in mind…who would get a 1.6L petrol engine if that was their intention?

The kind of car this applies to are Diesels, say 2 year old Diesels with like 80k on the clock.  like a BMW 3 or 5 series.  Business men, companies cars.

A Hyundai Volester is not a car designed for the motorway, it's design to appeal to millennials, a little quirky, a bit sporty, something different to their i30.  That's all there is.  So you can go find a 80k one with you want, it doesn't mean all its mileage is done on motorways.  I will guarantee that it wouldn't have been a company car though, it would have been a day to day commuter, shopping trolley just like all the cars in that bracket really.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Well, if you won't stop posting in my thread, I will.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28043
    edited May 2019
    Right, thread closed before it gets (any more) silly.

[edit]
    Dammit, where's my modmin superpower button gone?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That is more of an anticlimax  than the ending of GOT. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    That is more of an anticlimax  than the ending of GOT. 
    But absolutely nowhere near as rushed
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2958
    Have you bought one yet?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Deadman is bang on the money.  It’s too much choice.

In any case, I have spent the day eliminating the Volvo V40 and the Honda Civic.  As the day has worn on, I’ve been swaying more towards the Veloster.  It’s bigger than the CRZ, the visibility is much better and it’s even weirder by having two doors on one side and one one door on the other!
    It’s also cheaper for a similar age and mileage.

So now, my next choice is colour.  It’s fair to say Hyundai have not been conservative with their palette!

Which is your favourite?

None, it looks a cows khunt in any colour, imho :)