Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2960
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    You could fit an awful lot of laminate flooring in the back of there...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3138
    60 miles from Swansea

https://tinyurl.com/y275r57k
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12064
    blobb said:
    60 miles from Swansea

https://tinyurl.com/y275r57k
    Tidy car, that would clean up REALLY well with a bit of polish and wax.  Put in a new modern double din media player and it'll be a great fun car.

Mid engine, rear wheel convertible...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28087
    Emp - I’m sure you’ll have considered this, but bear in mind that driving along with the wind blowing through your hair is great, as long as you used the extra strong adhesive that morning.

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24728
    Hmmm...  I’ve found a cracker...  a pristine green Veloster sport and a sensible price.  The problem is the seller is the son of the owner, who died last month.

I can’t see probate going through that quickly, so I’m not entirely sure he’s legally allowed to sell it yet.  There may be other claims on the estate, or the car could be bequeathed to another family member etc.  What say ye ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1178
    Sounds good, do you have a link ?  Nearly bought a Veloster for Mrs LedZep when we changed her Hyundai coupe.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Emp_Fab said:
    Hmmm...  I’ve found a cracker...  a pristine green Veloster sport and a sensible price.  The problem is the seller is the son of the owner, who died last month.

I can’t see probate going through that quickly, so I’m not entirely sure he’s legally allowed to sell it yet.  There may be other claims on the estate, or the car could be bequeathed to another family member etc.  What say ye ?
    There's the slim possibility that the guy could rise from the dead. That could be a legal minefield. I wouldn't touch it.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32036
    Emp_Fab said:

Maybe there's no probate. I sold my ex's car within a month of her dying as I was executor and sole beneficiary. 

If a problem had cropped up with debts from her estate after the sale it would've been my problem, not that of the buyer. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Emp_Fab said:

Arguably the cash from the sale would be of more value to the estate.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11545
    p90fool said:

If a problem had cropped up with debts from her estate after the sale it would've been my problem, not that of the buyer. 
    This
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Emp_Fab said:
    At the moment I’m sort of torn between a lovely Alfa Spider convertible in ‘Midlife Crisis Red’ and Honda Civic or Seat Ibiza, both in ‘OCD White’.
    I'd normally say that's an easy choice because only one of them is Japanese but the new Civics are painful to look at catastrophically ugly, they were one of my favourite small cars but they lost it on the 8th incarnation and have gotten slowly worse!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12534
    Emp_Fab said:
    At the moment I’m sort of torn between a lovely Alfa Spider convertible in ‘Midlife Crisis Red’ and Honda Civic or Seat Ibiza, both in ‘OCD White’.
    I'd normally say that's an easy choice because only one of them is Japanese but the new Civics are painful to look at catastrophically ugly, they were one of my favourite small cars but they lost it on the 8th incarnation and have gotten slowly worse!
    Yep, the latest Civics look like someone from the Hot Wheels factory got a job at Honda. All nasty angles and extra  tacked on bits.  :s
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Emp_Fab said:

My plan now is to get one of a few little Peugeot 206 cc convertibles going locally for under £1500.  ...and before you all reach for the keyboard fighting to be the first to point out that they are French, in conflict with me previously declared boundaries, I know...  but it’s a temporary banger.  I’d never get one as a keeper.
    Erm, not French if built before December 2006 - would have come from the Ryton factory near Coventry.  :3

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    Nitefly said:
    Emp_Fab said:

My plan now is to get one of a few little Peugeot 206 cc convertibles going locally for under £1500.  ...and before you all reach for the keyboard fighting to be the first to point out that they are French, in conflict with me previously declared boundaries, I know...  but it’s a temporary banger.  I’d never get one as a keeper.
    Erm, not French if built before December 2006 - would have come from the Ryton factory near Coventry.  :3

Ahh, as a student I lived opposite the Ryton factory. One of my fellow students won a Peugeot in a national competition and from anywhere in the UK that the winner could have come he just had to cross the road to collect it. 
    Tiny car, 105 or something. This was about 1989. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I went and had a peek at that 206.  It was only a grand but it was a bit too tatty for me.  The dash was cracked, the oil looked like it had never been changed and there was rust flaking off the top of the front strut top mounts.  So....  not sure what to do now...  (yes, I know you’re all amazed!).

My biggest question at this moment is .... “do I really prefer green to orange, white or yellow” ?

There are eligible examples in each colour, but I just can’t decide.  Each colour has its own qualities.  If I could get one in candy apple red, I would.  Failing that, polished chrome all over - or rose gold - (think wrapping).  That’s the feel that I’m after, but I can’t work out which of white, green, orange or yellow comes closest.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Anyone who chrome wraps their car is a massive, massive bellend. There’s a guy who works near me who has a chrome wrapped R8, and he’s a massive, massive bellend. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12534
    You realise that wrapping a £6k car is going to cost you 1/3rd to a 1/2 what the car is worth? And it only lasts 3-5 years before it needs redoing.

Both those ^ look like a tart’s handbag btw.  :s