Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1750
    Emp_Fab said:
    Still car-less!  I’ve decided to change my mind again.  I fancy an automatic convertible now.  I’ve just got this craving for an auto for some reason.  The convertible bit is not so important if I can’t find one.  There is a tidy VW Eos in Cardiff with a DSG box.  Nice car but looks a bit too ‘normal’.  The Pug 307cc looks nice / odd but I’m struggling to find one that isn’t in black.  
    Those vw Eos are a nice looking car and I considered one myself. After a bit of research it seems they have a very complicated folding roof which leak and there isn’t a cure.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6276
    Emp_Fab said:
    @steveledzep ; For a moment there I thought you'd found my car.  It's lovely.  Unfortunately, it's also thirsty at 31mpg and out of my budget at 8 grand.  Because I'm not certain an auto convertible is likely to be my 'keeper' car, I've put a limit of 4K on the budget.

MPG figures are a load of nonsense mate, you know that. We've got one that's supposed to do about 70mpg. It does more like 45. Does MPG on a 1 or 2 grand car really matter? If you are doing enough mileage to make MPG matter, if the car is a cheapo, it will pack up before your notice the cost of fuel in your pocket, due to the high mileage.

In reality, I don't think differences of 10 of 15 MPG make enough difference in running costs to the average motorist. I honestly believe its a marketing ploy that we have been coerced into believing is important, by years of advertising. the difference in real world MPG between most cars is not that big in real terms IMHO

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    Snap said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    @steveledzep ; For a moment there I thought you'd found my car.  It's lovely.  Unfortunately, it's also thirsty at 31mpg and out of my budget at 8 grand.  Because I'm not certain an auto convertible is likely to be my 'keeper' car, I've put a limit of 4K on the budget.

MPG figures are a load of nonsense mate, you know that. We've got one that's supposed to do about 70mpg. It does more like 45. Does MPG on a 1 or 2 grand car really matter? If you are doing enough mileage to make MPG matter, if the car is a cheapo, it will pack up before your notice the cost of fuel in your pocket, due to the high mileage.

In reality, I don't think differences of 10 of 15 MPG make enough difference in running costs to the average motorist. I honestly believe its a marketing ploy that we have been coerced into believing is important, by years of advertising. the difference in real world MPG between most cars is not that big in real terms IMHO

It's like all these people dropped their petrol engine to get a diesel, they went from 40mpg to 50mpg and think they are saving money, not really thinking they just spent £10k to do so...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 211
    ronnyb said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Still car-less!  I’ve decided to change my mind again.  I fancy an automatic convertible now.  I’ve just got this craving for an auto for some reason.  The convertible bit is not so important if I can’t find one.  There is a tidy VW Eos in Cardiff with a DSG box.  Nice car but looks a bit too ‘normal’.  The Pug 307cc looks nice / odd but I’m struggling to find one that isn’t in black.  
    Those vw Eos are a nice looking car and I considered one myself. After a bit of research it seems they have a very complicated folding roof which leak and there isn’t a cure.
    I tried a manual EOS it was lovely, spoke to the Father-in-Law who was a VW mechanic for a long time. The leaky roof was only a problem prior to 2009 when they changed the design, other wise the rubber seal just needs treating to make sure it stay soft.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    Snap said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm talking about real mpg figures, not the nonsense claimed by the manufacturers. https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/

It does make a difference, irrespective of the value of the car.  A motor that only does 30mpg is going to cost me twice as much in go juice as one that does 60mpg. 
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3972
    Emp_Fab said:
    Kilgore said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'm afraid it's not....   Here I am on the train right now!

Not having it. You have to post a pic of you on the train, holding up a newspaper with today's date clearly visible.
    Seriously...  that really was me this morning!
    You look quite distant; understandable given the circumstances. You do suit red though.
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    That’s obviously a train in the Ukraine.  ;)
    People never look that depressed in Ukraine.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Keep it going nearly 30 pages of not buying a car.

Here's my suggestion. Annual season ticket for the train. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    That’s obviously a train in the Ukraine.  ;)
    People never look that depressed in Ukraine.
    Dunno about that. They looked quite grumpy during the recent Chernobyl series. Also an ex GF of mine was born in the Ukraine, and she was so bloody moody. Great boobs though. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    edited June 2019
    Guess no car then?

drum roll?

Ive only ever bought 2 cars in my live, both found on AT and deposit down, went to inspect and drove it home...i really don’t see what’s so hard.  It’s a car, not finding a wife.
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Interesting regarding the mpg doesn't matter conversation.

Yeah, marketing gone mad. Bloody maths, it's nonsense.
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Guess no car then?

drum roll?

Ive only ever bought 2 cars in my live, both found on AT and deposit down, went to inspect and drove it home...i really don’t see what’s so hard.  It’s a car, not finding a wife.
    Unless it’s a Thai bride, then it’s the same process?
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1178
    Guess no car then?

drum roll?

Does one do test "drives" then ?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24582
    Guess no car then?

drum roll?

Also, can you get them on PCP?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32045
    i really don’t see what’s so hard.  It’s a car, not finding a wife.
    Every car I've ever bought has been older than my first marriage. 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    Guess no car then?

drum roll?

Other drugs are available 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10446
    Guess no car then?

drum roll?

The thought of a replacement for a newer model every three years does seem rather tempting. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited June 2019
    10000 miles a year...

40mpg in a petrol car at £1.285 a ltr 
    =£1460 a year

55mpg in a diesel car at £1.33 a ltr
    =£1100

Diesel saves £30 a month.

Factor in higher purchase price, higher servicing costs, potential for spendy repairs, and the fact all 4 pot diesels are shit to drive (i drive hire cars for work quite often), they stink, rattle when cold and get your hands sticky when filling up and that £30 a month doesn't look so tempting. Certianly not to me anyway.
    Not to mention the antisocial nature of diesel emissions in urban areas.

25000+ miles on the motoway is where it starts to make sense, (and even then id pay more not to drive an oil burner.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6276
    Emp_Fab said:
    Snap said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm talking about real mpg figures, not the nonsense claimed by the manufacturers. https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/

It does make a difference, irrespective of the value of the car.  A motor that only does 30mpg is going to cost me twice as much in go juice as one that does 60mpg. 

Yes, but your real world MPG difference won't be 30mg, not between the sort of cars you are talking about. It might be 10 or so. The difference you save in your pocket could be very little depending on your mileage. Say you do 5000 miles a year. One car does 30 mpg, another does 40. One costs you 166 gallons, one cost you 125. 41 gallons difference a year. That's 3.4 gallons a month, just over 19 quid a month. Fiver a week. A pint and a bit of beer.

Really worth bothering about?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Snap said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Snap said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Yes, but your real world MPG difference won't be 30mg, not between the sort of cars you are talking about. It might be 10 or so. The difference you save in your pocket could be very little depending on your mileage. Say you do 5000 miles a year. One car does 30 mpg, another does 40. One costs you 166 gallons, one cost you 125. 41 gallons difference a year. That's 3.4 gallons a month, just over 19 quid a month. Fiver a week. A pint and a bit of beer.

Really worth bothering about?

I was being generous in my example with a 15mpg gap. I agree with you that it will be closer to 10.

Its a false economy unless mileage is sales rep high.