Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    strtdv said:

Lols, golf R is a 320 bhp car. The diesel gt makes nearly half that power. Hardly a fair comparison when it comes to fuel consumption is it?
    Show me another nicely specced Golf estate for around £20k used. Post WLTP the R makes 290. There's no denying it's quicker, but in terms of spec and interior the cars are virtually identical.

Plenty of other similar comparisons you could make. Do you want an S4 doing real world 28mpg or an A6 biturbo diesel doing 47mpg. Do you want a 440i or a faster 435d for the same money and much lower running costs?

Basically anyone who wants a "nice" car but doesn't want high running costs should probably consider a diesel.

Ok, if you're shopping for a bargain basement car and doing less than 10k miles a year it doesn't make sense to buy a more expensive brand new diesel and hope to claw back your expenses in fuel costs, but then any new car doesn't make sense in that situation.

Diesels continue to outsell petrols and likely will continue to do so for the next 5-7 years, by which stage electric will probably have replaced internal combustion anyway.
    There's still plenty of new diesels being developed by manufacturers (Audi in particular) so I don't see them going anywhere in the near future
    Hi, this isn't a thread about your high spec car choices and false comparisons.

This is about a chap (not) spending £5k on an old second or third hand car to do 5 to 10k miles a year where diesel / petrol choice isnt as financially clear cut as many people assume.

But to answer your question, of all the cars you've listed i wouldn't want any regardless of engine choice.

Overpowered diesel German barges, with dead behind the eyes handling that propell you on a narrow band wave of torque though a short ratio 8 speed gearbox do absolutely nothing for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    If I were Emp, with his budget and requirements, I'd be getting a sporty petrol effort, stuff the MPG, and focus on enjoying the drive. So, maybe an old 350 or 370Z, something like that. Old and Japanese usually means reliable. Like I said earlier, my main concern in this price bracket would be repair costs. Something is likely to bust, and something possibly expensive. MPG goes out the window really.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11545
    Just on the radio about the reduction in new car sales. Diesels down 18%, although that seems to suggest people are still buying new diesels. For better or for worse.

Diesels are still 28% of the market for 2019 to date.

For all the talk of hybrids, diesel and petrol still account for around 94% of cars sold.

Diesel was close to half the market a few years ago, so the air will probably be getting a little cleaner, but the government needs to do something to stop people buying them.  I live in London, and I still see a large number of diesels on 18, 68, and 19 plates.  It's not right given all air pollution problems we have here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    I have a superb 280 which has the same engine and AWD as the R (slight de-tuned) and is heavier - I’m getting 37mpg.  The performance of the petrol 280 isn’t comparable to any diesel from VAG imho - closest is the BiTD which doesn’t do anymore more mpg in the real world (and is still slower)

Not sure any of this helps EMP but as far as this thread goes I think he is beyond help. 

My proper Golf R averaged 29mpg.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    Orange Veloster, 60,000 miles, in budget, in Wales.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/hyundai/2012-hyundai-veloster-1.6-gdi-4dr/1336494310
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5612
    Deadman said:
    Burnt orange too!
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Wrong end of Wales?
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Deadman said:
    Do it. 
  • I was speaking to a chap in the local Audi dealership a few days ago, and he said that all of the Audi “S” cars are going to be switching to diesel. So far it has been confirmed for the S4, S5 and S6, and the SQ5 is also going back to diesel, having been petrol for a couple of years. Only a few years ago these cars were running NA 4.2 V8s, and the S6 even had a 5.0 V10 which was a detuned version of the Lambo Gallardo engine. 

Diesel has its place. Mrs SPM’s RR is an oil burner, and that’s fine, but diesel in a performance car is plain wrong (yes I know Audi won Le Mans numerous times with diesel cars). Cars that redline at 5,000 rpm aren’t sporty.

Tin hat put on.
    Plus, 22nd in JDPower survey, Hence why, for me, Audi can take a flying fuck at a rolling donut now. Diseasel is smelly, unrefined, noisy and pointless like most of the middle managers and reps who drive the rattly fucking tractors at 85mph right up people’s arses on the M4. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Veganic said:
    Wrong end of Wales?
    Best part of 4 hours. Each way. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12064
    edited June 2019
    jaytmon said:
    Veganic said:
    Wrong end of Wales?
    Best part of 4 hours. Each way. 
    The length this thread is going, he could get there and back on foot by now.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Phew, made it to 30 pages, you can buy a car now @Emp_Fab or are you going  for the 50pages?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    hywelg said:
    Phew, made it to 30 pages, you can buy a car now @Emp_Fab or are you going  for the 50pages?
    It’s mpg all over again. 30ppc or 50ppc (pages per car)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24729
    I’m not getting the Veloster... do keep up!  I’m getting an automatic something or other.  Possibly a convertible but my desire for that wavers with the weather.

I’ve seen a few motors that have caught my eye;

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905037579325

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905107800887

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201906068736147

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905188091906

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    Here you go,2009 VW Eos 2.0 TFSI DSG (Golf GTI 200 BHP Convertible )Black pearl metallic,  62,220miles Full VW Service History + Roof Service, 12 months MOT, Oxblood leather, Satnav head unit Very clean, looking for £3500. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24729
    No black. Can’t stand it as a car colour. Sorry!
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1178
    Had a black Saab once, would never have another black car.  A white car is easier to keep clean.
    Not keen on any of the cars that have "caught your eye".
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2960
    The Hyundai i30 and be done with this malarky.  

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5612
    The Hyundai i30 and be done with this malarky.  
    This, or the Mazda3.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    When I changed my motorbike last year, I had little idea what I wanted so I made a shortlist (well quite a long list actually) and arranged to go and test ride as many bikes on the list as I could, plus some that weren’t. Bikes that I’d been convinced were the one for me turned out to not be quite what I wanted once I’d ridden them.

So here’s an invitation - if you really do want to buy a car, go and drive as many as you can. It can be the next level of this game. You will then have a much better idea if you like them or not. Plus you get to drive loads of different cars. 

If you don’t really want to buy a car, let’s carry on and I’ll be back in another 5 pages or so ;)