Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    boogieman said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Believe it or not, I've actually been giving some thought to this:-

It's rather lovely in 'fugly' kind of way ! :-)
    Hotpoint? 

Looks like a fridge on wheels. Yikes...
    I’m thinking more...... Smeg. 
    These have been trundling about our streets for a while, i have never driven one but like the look.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11532
    WOW..... Is this thread still going?? 
    Did you think Emp would have bought a car?
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've realised the mistake I've been making in my most recent approach.  I've pretty much settled on a lime green or yellow Veloster Sport Automatic.  
    Sorry, I just wanted to bring your attention to that statement. 

You have actually seen a Veloster, right?

This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28043
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've realised the mistake I've been making in my most recent approach.  I've pretty much settled on a lime green or yellow Veloster Sport Automatic.  However, they are rarer than diesel helicopters, so I may have to wait a while before one appears on the market.  As previously mentioned, I therefore need to get something in the interim.  My failing has been to try to apply too many conditions to the choice of interim car.  I've basically been doing the same with the interim car as I did with the choosing of the 'keeper' car, and ending up trying to find perfection in what, really, should be just a means of getting from A to B until a green (or yellow) Veloster comes along.  I'm so fixated on getting an auto though, I don't think I can wait for the Veloster for that, so I'm going to have to settle for any small auto....  that isn't black.

I'm heading back into the maze that is Autotrader, Ebay & Gumtree.....   I'll be back.....

Probably without a car.

So, so, so many “FTFY” options.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24710
    Bugger.  They seem surprisingly difficult to find.  Most autos seem to be big buggers and/or Mercs & Jags.  I stumbled across a local beauty though....  a '13 plate Auto White Civic (new shape) with FSH, 1 owner, 1.8 VVTI petrol motor, great nick....  but the greedy buggers are asking a grand over top book for it.  Oh well.....  plod on......
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    What will come first - Emps new car, Brexit, or a Trump instigated thermo-nuclear war....?

Place bets now!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    edited June 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    Bugger.  They seem surprisingly difficult to find.  Most autos seem to be big buggers and/or Mercs & Jags.  I stumbled across a local beauty though....  a '13 plate Auto White Civic (new shape) with FSH, 1 owner, 1.8 VVTI petrol motor, great nick....  but the greedy buggers are asking a grand over top book for it.  Oh well.....  plod on......
    Yes, because most small cars autos in general are CVT and until recently, they are all turd.  There is a good reason why most autos are in bigger cars with bigger engines.  They are suited to these cars so they are in these cars.

Also, auto box is typically an option extra on spec, so cost more to buy in the first place than a manual.  In my car it was a £2500 option weirdly enough when most people prefer a manual box in it.

Also, auto boxes tends to be less fuel efficient than a manual box, it takes energy to change gears, so before your next post come in and complain about MPG for X, Y, Z car having bad MPG and dismissing it and it is an auto....this is why.  

It really feels like you are looking for a unicorn.  It doesn't exist without a price tag.

• celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    It just seems like you haven't got the budget for the car you want. Keep saving if you can, or just get a banger to keep you going while you save.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited June 2019
    ROOG said:
    boogieman said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Believe it or not, I've actually been giving some thought to this:-

It's rather lovely in 'fugly' kind of way ! :-)
    Hotpoint? 

Looks like a fridge on wheels. Yikes...
    I’m thinking more...... Smeg. 
    These have been trundling about our streets for a while, i have never driven one but like the look.
    If you buy a red one it comes with a black and white cat.....

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’m going off on a tangent now....   all this time I’ve been automatically dismissing Merc’s as being too unreliable, too thirsty and too expensive to insure.  After a bit of research, I’ve discovered that the SLK Kompressor convertible is no more or less reliable than the average car (reliability index of 101), gets very good reviews in general, looks gorgeous and is no more expensive to insure than any of the others I’ve looked at - it comes in around £230 fully comp.

The only slight bugbear is the fuel consumption.  The SLK200 Auto petrol gets about 31mpg average.  That’s not horrific, but it’s not bad.  Doing, say 5,000 miles p.a., the difference between that and something averaging 40mpg is only about £240 p.a.

I’m thinking that’s not too high a hit to take for such a lovely looking car...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    I’m going off on a tangent now....   all this time I’ve been automatically dismissing Merc’s as being too unreliable, too thirsty and too expensive to insure.  After a bit of research, I’ve discovered that the SLK Kompressor convertible is no more or less reliable than the average car (reliability index of 101), gets very good reviews in general, looks gorgeous and is no more expensive to insure than any of the others I’ve looked at - it comes in around £230 fully comp.

The only slight bugbear is the fuel consumption.  The SLK200 Auto petrol gets about 31mpg average.  That’s not horrific, but it’s not bad.  Doing, say 5,000 miles p.a., the difference between that and something averaging 40mpg is only about £240 p.a.

I’m thinking that’s not too high a hit to take for such a lovely looking car...

I’d buy it.  Like you said, £240 a year on petrol is a small price to pay to drive the car that you actually love vs a car that only a mother can love.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27095
    Or, alternatively, an Alfa Romeo Giulietta - which will be able to fit your band gear in too.
    <space for hire>
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1750
    Or, alternatively, an Alfa Romeo Giulietta - which will be able to fit your band gear in too.
    But with one of those you'll need to fork out for the 'optional' extras. Haynes workshop manual, a good set of overalls and a comprehensive tool set.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ronnyb said:
    But with one of those you'll need to fork out for the 'optional' extras. Haynes workshop manual, a good set of overalls and a comprehensive tool set.
    I was under the impression that the Giulietta onwards were actually pretty reliable...?
    <space for hire>
    Naah... I've just seen the tax on the Merc.  Over £300.  There's a lovely looking Giulietta nearby though....

91K on the odo though.  .....and it's got one of those dual-clutch auto/flappy paddle boxes (DSG / TCT / pick your acronym).

I'd prefer a proper torque-converter box.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, I nearly pulled the trigger on a Giulietta before the lure of the project-Celica reeled me in. Lovely-looking cars.
    <space for hire>
    edited June 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    Naah... I've just seen the tax on the Merc.  Over £300.  There's a lovely looking Giulietta nearby though....

91K on the odo though.  .....and it's got one of those dual-clutch auto/flappy paddle boxes (DSG / TCT / pick your acronym).

Again....unicorn syndrome.  You are splitting hairs again.  Granted on the mileage but a DSG is not a negative that you should dismiss a car on, not on a used car at your price range.
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Rover BRM - Gas Turbine Heritage Motor Centre Gaydon 1jpg
                 How about a Rover gas turbine?
                    Free tax classic insurance etc.

When logic and proportion
    Emp_Fab said:

Again....unicorn syndrome.  You are splitting hairs again.  Granted on the mileage but a DSG is not a negative that you should dismiss a car on, not on a used car at your price range.
    It is.

edited June 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

It is.
    You will NEVER find a car.

So far I've heard you dismiss a car because of the following, some are just absurd.

Oooh, great car, no MOT
    Oooh, great car, high emission.
    Oooh, great car, too many owners.
    Oooh, great car, too ugly.
    Oooh, great car, mileage too low.
    Oooh, great car, mileage too high.
    Oooh, great car, 2mpg higher than I wanted.
    Oooh, great car, wrong colour.
    Oooh, great car, tax is too high.
    Oooh, great car, wrong kind of automatic gear box.

I think you will dismiss one because it has 4 wheels next.

Remind us what your budget is again? £10 million?

Are you sure you are in the position to bargain with a few thousand? You are probably going to say i am being mean and a dick to you but I am trying to get some sense into your thick skull.  It's been 3 fricking months now, 3 months!!! Not only you haven't found a car, you haven't even settled on a model.  Not even made a decision on whether you want a petrol or Diesel.  You are STILL in Square fricking One.

Honestly, read it back, can you REALLY say, hand on heart that you are being reasonable and realistic? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom