Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10594
    I was looking at cars last night. Head gasket has gone on the wife's 207 plus it needs a bunch of other work. All easy enough to do but it's the most gutless 1.4 i've ever driven and it guzzles petrol round town and rarely exceeds 38mpg ish on the motorway ... mainly cos it's rev'ing it's nuts off even in fifth gear. 
    Anyhow I got bored after about 5 minutes .... I don't want an ICE car but can't afford an electric car yet so will probably just buy something like a 2010 Focus for 2K ish to tied us over until I can afford an electric
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    edited June 2019
    PC_Dave said:
    To be fair, this thread is definitely making my day go quicker. And it makes me feel really good about myself, because compared to Emps procrastination, I’m an impulsive, trigger happy purchaser.
    There is nothing wrong doing research, but this isn’t research anymore because he is still undecided whether he is getting a petrol or diesel.  You can't research the entire car market, to do research you need to have a specific car and model in mind.

I too am very impulsive purchaser, I have a lot of crap at home that I bought on impulse.  I have like 10 lego sets at home that is unbuilt…but I am getting better at it these days.

What I do now is if I see something I want, I would ask myself whether I need it.  If I actually need it, then I buy it.  If it is something I want then I would walk away.  If a week later I still want it then perhaps I will buy it. Most of the time the urge dissipates and when out of sight, out of mind and I end up saving the money instead.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27835
    Just think of the fun you could already be having in an MX5.... :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    My Mazda3 is a diesel. A 2.2 litre, mind.
    It's £20 a year to tax which I will admit was part of the appeal of it however it is also the most expensive car I've ever bought so I'm not exactly running a bargain. But - and it's a big BUT - it goes like a rocket, has a lovely interior, is super comfy, looks ace and I bloody love it.
    Money well spent!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    ICBM said:
    PC_Dave said:
    What will come first - Emps new car, Brexit, or a Trump instigated thermo-nuclear war....?

Place bets now!
    You missed out the heat death of the universe.

Hang on, are you actually Brian Cox?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73104
    cj73 said:

No... I've been asked that before, but he's younger than me, better looking, and has played in a famous band :).

Although I am a lapsed astrophysicist ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    ICBM said:
    cj73 said:

No... I've been asked that before, but he's younger than me, better looking, and has played in a famous band :).

So things can only get hotter?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    cj73 said:
    ICBM said:
    cj73 said:

So things can only get hotter?
    lol

No, the opposite - at the end of the universe, trillions of years from now, everything will tend to a uniform state of thermal equilibrium at a very low temperature, and time itself will cease to be measurable since there will be no observable activity anywhere.

Apart from a man still thinking about buying a car.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    I’m finding it extremely amusing why some of you are getting SO frustrated with my procrastination!

Some of you are on the verge of actual anger!  WTF’s wrong with you?!  It’s only one man dithering about what car to get. It doesn’t affect you at all!  It’s not like I’ve promised you all a ride in it!  :3
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1034
    Emp_Fab said:
    I’m finding it extremely amusing why some of you are getting SO frustrated with my procrastination!

Some of you are on the verge of actual anger!  WTF’s wrong with you?!  It’s only one man dithering about what car to get. It doesn’t affect you at all!  It’s not like I’ve promised you all a ride in it!  :3
    Well make ya fucking mind up before we all die of boredom :) only joking of course i enjoy 33 pages of wisdom 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11532
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm not sure I want you to buy one yet.  This thread is comedy gold.
    edited June 2019
    Emp_Fab said:

Some of you are on the verge of actual anger!  WTF’s wrong with you?!  It’s only one man dithering about what car to get. It doesn’t affect you at all!  It’s not like I’ve promised you all a ride in it!  3
    I wouldn’t call it procrastination, total utter incompetence failure would be closer to the truth.

”I MUST get a car this weekend”
    ”My job starts soon and I NEED a car”
    ”Mrs Emp says I HAVE to get a car this weekend”

Utter utter BS lies over and over, who are you trying to kid? You’ve been taking the bus for 2 months with access to a van.  You don’t need a car.  This is why you haven’t bought one.

Procrastination my ass, massive troll more like.

When people need something, they do something about it.  You don’t need a car at all, you just want one, a hairdresser one at that.  That much is clear.  It’s not going to do many miles because you don’t need a car so why the hell have you been looking at diesel is an utter mystery to me beside the fact that you can’t even see straight.

if I’m in your position I’d go buy the cheapest V8 with a MOT out there and enjoy it until it goes bang.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Short back and sides pls. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11532
    edited June 2019
    Short back and sides pls. 
    You'll be looking like hippy before the car is bought - unless your hair falls out first.
    edited June 2019
    Further from my previous comment about getting a V8

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201906219248548?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=hr11hb&radius=1501&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=sponsored&price-to=7000&model=SC 430&make=LEXUS&page=1

Within budget, Lexus reliability, retractable roof.

Yeah it has a high tax band, it is a V8!
    Yeah it won't do 50mpg, it IS a V8!
    Yes it has a scratch, after 15years!  You can polish that out.

But it is unique.
    It isn't many around, 
    It is reliable.
    It is comfortable.
    It is not chavvy, it is NOT a car people buy to dart around in. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not sure I could live with the seats though, even though I normally laugh at the idea that colour is important for the outside... truly hideous.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    ICBM said:
    I'm not sure I could live with the seats though, even though I normally laugh at the idea that colour is important for the outside... truly hideous.
    There are other colours, i just happened to pick one out of AT, it's not even the cheapest one on sale.

One one man's hideous is another man's Mona Lisa.  We are talking about Emp here, he thinks the Hyundai Volestar is the pinnacle of design.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 548
    I did wonder what happened to Judith Chalmers.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201906219248548?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=hr11hb&radius=1501&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=sponsored&price-to=7000&model=SC 430&make=LEXUS&page=1

But it is unique.
    It isn't many around, 
    It is reliable.
    It is comfortable.

Christ, they really did love their wood finishes 15 years ago, didn't they? 

I really miss my Lexus though :( The NX was the nicest car I've ever owned. So comfy and just felt like quality all over. 
    joneve said:

But it is unique.
    It isn't many around, 
    It is reliable.
    It is comfortable.

Christ, they really did love their wood finishes 15 years ago, didn't they? 

I really miss my Lexus though :( The NX was the nicest car I've ever owned. So comfy and just felt like quality all over. 
    It is so retro now I kinda love it.  There is no point looking for modern style, rather, just embrace the period that it came from.