Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2992
    tFB Trader

The Marina reminded me of a mate of a mate's Lexus LS. It's just won 'best dressed' at a hot rod show   Yes it does drive, just been from near Wales to south coast. He has several other toys inc a twin-turbo 57 Chevy we'll be watching race at Santa Pod-

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/misc/ro-lex.jpg

As you were..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12054
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I’m finding it extremely amusing why some of you are getting SO frustrated with my procrastination!

Some of you are on the verge of actual anger!  WTF’s wrong with you?!  It’s only one man dithering about what car to get. It doesn’t affect you at all!  It’s not like I’ve promised you all a ride in it!  3
    I wouldn’t call it procrastination, total utter incompetence failure would be closer to the truth.

”I MUST get a car this weekend”
    ”My job starts soon and I NEED a car”
    ”Mrs Emp says I HAVE to get a car this weekend”

Utter utter BS lies over and over, who are you trying to kid? You’ve been taking the bus for 2 months with access to a van.  You don’t need a car.  This is why you haven’t bought one.

Procrastination my ass, massive troll more like.

When people need something, they do something about it.  You don’t need a car at all, you just want one, a hairdresser one at that.  That much is clear.  It’s not going to do many miles because you don’t need a car so why the hell have you been looking at diesel is an utter mystery to me beside the fact that you can’t even see straight.

if I’m in your position I’d go buy the cheapest V8 with a MOT out there and enjoy it until it goes bang.

https://www.angermanage.co.uk
    I just dislike bullshitters.

In the interest of being honest, it seems between the 2 of us, i am the only one saying the truth.  I am not angry, not in the slightest but i do say that the overall feeling is that it is incredibly frustrating to see someone who doesn't learn, at all.  Not sure if it is intelligence, stubbornness or inability to read or all of the above.  You have not taken up a single piece of advice given in 3 months here as by the evidence you are still looking at diesel cars up until yesterday.

Why is that? 

You're funny! ..Angry and slightly strange too, but funny!
    At least I have a car.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28007
    At least I have a car.
    What is having a car got to do with this thread???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2657
    Emp_Fab said:
    I’m finding it extremely amusing why some of you are getting SO frustrated with my procrastination!

Some of you are on the verge of actual anger!  WTF’s wrong with you?!  It’s only one man dithering about what car to get. It doesn’t affect you at all!  It’s not like I’ve promised you all a ride in it!  3
    I think it's the self indulgence that winds people up. Imagine if we all shared our mental meanderings to this degree.

I'm researching a car purchase too, but I really don't think it is worth anyone's time. Might mention it on here if I have an actual question, but not use the forum as some sort of mental notepad. It's like people who share too much on social media.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    ewal said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I think it's the self indulgence that winds people up. Imagine if we all shared our mental meanderings to this degree.

I think it's very entertaining. Emp isn't forcing anyone to read the thread. It's what "off topic" is meant for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Some people seem to take themselves way too seriously. If this thread annoys you, the simplest solution is to not click on it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2657
    Doesn't annoy me. That's why I'm here. Merely hypothesising. People use the forum in different ways, just like people use social media in different ways. Some people get annoyed when people share pictures of food on FB captioned nom, nom. Not my thing but doesn't annoy me. Life's too short for that too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24702
    If I really, really needed one, I would have got one by now.  The time I'm taking to choose is proportional to my need.  I’m managing, but I would like to get something before this Monday now.  It’s been interesting on the choo-choo and getting a bit of walking in but I’m missing the ability to go where I like, when I like, without relying on Mrs Fab’s wheels.

Think of this thread as more of a blog about an indecisive man  :)

As mentioned previously, I’m finding some of the reactions hysterical!  How on Earth can you get so frothy-mouthed about someone taking their time to buy a car? @RaymondLin et al. ....and more to the point, why do you keep coming back to the thread!! LOL!  That’s like stubbing your toe, effing and blinding, then deliberately doing it again!

Anyway, back to the story....  are the rest of you sitting comfortably?

So, I emailed the guy with the white Civic and pointed out that I was very interested and a cash buyer, but that he was asking a grand over top book.  He replied with the usual “exceptional condition, blah blah”, but said they would consider any sensible offer.  I’m guessing he’s not going to consider a grand less than his asking price to be ‘sensible’, but....  it’s worth a try.

I’m leaning more towards a diesel because I prefer them.  Better mpg, nicer torque delivery, far more forgiving of shitty gear selection.  I’m not bothered about the emissions restrictions etc.  Odds are it’s highly unlikely to apply to my dark corner of the world for a while and if it does, it’s likely to start as on sales of new cars.  Either way, in the time I’ll probably have the car, it’s unlikely to affect me.  Also, as I’m down at the cheaper end of the market, resale value isn’t a major concern.  I’m not set against petrol mind - given that I already have fairly restrictive selection criteria; auto, not black, not a Jag, over 35mpg if poss, etc.  I’m just saying that I’m not going to reject a car just because it’s petrol.  The other factors are more important than fuel type.

Funnily enough, I keep thinking back to the Honda CR-Z’s I fancied in the beginning.  Having examined multiple alternatives in the intervening period, I’m reconsidering them again.  I’d like a hybrid if one came along.  The Japs have some amazing engineering but some of their interiors are just bizarre!  I’ve seen so many of their motors that you could mistake for Johnnycabs after a few pints  =)

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    The time I'm taking to choose is proportional to my need.  I’m managing, but I would like to get something before this Monday now. …
    I actually found myself laughing out loud, please stop giving yourself a deadline and us some kind of hope.  We've been fooled for 3 months…

If you didn't care about emission restriction then why did you dismiss that Volvo a few weeks ago?  Have you forgotten that already?

And you don't want a CR-Z, remember you dismissed it before because of the bad rear visibility too?

• celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Not bothered about dpf issues when running a diesel for low miles and short journeys? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28007
    1.  This
    celentium said:
    Not bothered about dpf issues when running a diesel for low miles and short journeys? 

But, 2, can you not see how these two statements are completely contradictory?
    Emp_Fab said:
     I’m leaning more towards a diesel because I prefer them.  Better mpg, nicer torque delivery, far more forgiving of shitty gear selection.  
    and
    Emp_Fab said:
    Funnily enough, I keep thinking back to the Honda CR-Z’s I fancied in the beginning.  Having examined multiple alternatives in the intervening period, I’m reconsidering them again.

You want  a diesel for the better mpg, torque delivery and forgiving of bad driving, but you're reconsidering a CR-Z with a high revving, narrow torque band, petrol engine?  They're completely different engines for completely different styles of driving.

I can only conclude that some of the different voices in your head were talking as your fingers typed each of those sentences.

In fact, that's probably a conclusions that could be applied to most of your posts.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019

Btw, we keep coming back to this thread for the same reasons that when you see a car crash, you can't help but look at it.

Like @TTony has said, you still don't know what you want, you literally changes your criteria between sentences.

There is square 1, but I don't think you are even at square one.  

To find a car that you want, you need to narrow down your choices, had you done that from Day 1 and then spent the next 3 months looking, waiting and combing AT, PH, eBay etc you would have found a nice one by now, whatever it is.  Except you haven't, therefore whatever car you buy, it will be by chance hoping it is the best one on the market at that moment.  

You can't look for a car off the entire AT, the filters that I have on AT to find that cars that I like I purposely limit and limit it to until there are about 20-30 left.  TRUST yourself that all those outside the filter you are happy to ignore and don't look at them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    You need to come to terms with the fact that you are the core demographic for a Ford Focus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4386
    celentium said:
    You need to come to terms with the fact that you are the core demographic for a Ford Focus.

To be honest, the easiest way to do this is to go and drive one and realise they're really very good.  Then once you work out that you spend 100% of the time inside it looking out, the job's done.

FWIW I'm enjoying this thread.  It's brought home every anxiety I've ever had about buying a car and made me glad it's not just me who gets the fear.

Buying a car should be fun but it isn't.  Anyone who says they enjoy it is not to be trusted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    randella said:
    celentium said:

To be honest, the easiest way to do this is to go and drive one and realise they're really very good.  Then once you work out that you spend 100% of the time inside it looking out, the job's done.

FWIW I'm enjoying this thread.  It's brought home every anxiety I've ever had about buying a car and made me glad it's not just me who gets the fear.

Buying a car should be fun but it isn't.  Anyone who says they enjoy it is not to be trusted.
    People who enjoy it probably knows what they are looking for, what to look out for and good at getting a good car.

Those are scared don't know, so they are scared.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    This thread is all round scary. Comedy gold but scary.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4386
    randella said:
    celentium said:

People who enjoy it probably knows what they are looking for, what to look out for and good at getting a good car.

Those are scared don't know, so they are scared.
    I didn't say 'scared', I said 'not fun'.  I'm not 'scared' of buying a car in the same way I'm not 'scared' of commercial aviation but I can think of many, many things I'd rather be doing than either of those.

The fun bit is looking at cars and picking one.  That's where it ends for me.  If there's any enjoyment to be derived from schlepping around dealerships, plenty of whom espouse standards of customer service that haven't been tolerated in any other retail sector since the late 1980's, then fair play.  Everyone needs a hobby I guess, but I've never seen the attraction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12515

Btw, we keep coming back to this thread for the same reasons that when you see a car crash, you can't help but look at it.

Like @TTony has said, you still don't know what you want, you literally changes your criteria between sentences.

There is square 1, but I don't think you are even at square one.  

To find a car that you want, you need to narrow down your choices, had you done that from Day 1 and then spent the next 3 months looking, waiting and combing AT, PH, eBay etc you would have found a nice one by now, whatever it is.  Except you haven't, therefore whatever car you buy, it will be by chance hoping it is the best one on the market at that moment.  

You can't look for a car off the entire AT, the filters that I have on AT to find that cars that I like I purposely limit and limit it to until there are about 20-30 left.  TRUST yourself that all those outside the filter you are happy to ignore and don't look at them.

Ray, Ray.......your first mistake is thinking Emp thinks about anything logically. The second is that he’s ever going to buy a car.  ;)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11523
    edited June 2019

That comment gave me a vision of Emp finally, one day, in the fulness of time, buying a car, and then crashing it!
    crunchman said:

That comment gave me a vision of Emp finally, one day, in the fulness of time, buying a car, and then crashing it!
    Doubt it, because that actually requires a car. 

Even if he does buy a car, the choice of turning left or right in the first junction would cause his head to explode and the car will forever stay there due to indecision.