• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11532

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7129
    tFB Trader
    Just get a Focus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73105
    PC_Dave said:
    What will come first - Emps new car, Brexit, or a Trump instigated thermo-nuclear war....?

Place bets now!
    You missed out the heat death of the universe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1034
    Is this post a wind up ?
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    Is this post a wind up ?
    Oo, I don't think he's looked at wind-up cars yet. Cue another 30 pages!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Another convertable classic to consider
             Free tax again ;)
               Might go better with a supercharger (Rootes)
    httpspicsimcdborg290schoolscoundrels38jpg

When logic and proportion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just get some Focus.
    FTFY
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    ICBM said:
    PC_Dave said:
    What will come first - Emps new car, Brexit, or a Trump instigated thermo-nuclear war....?

Place bets now!
    You missed out the heat death of the universe.
    I was trying to keep it light and cheery. 

Plus I don’t trust that Brian Cox fellow. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    PC_Dave said:

Plus I don’t trust that Brian Cox fellow. 
    Nor do I. He blamed some chap called Newton for an accident he had in his first car, but he's been dead for nearly 300 years!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28043
    You will NEVER find a car.

So far I've heard you dismiss a car because of the following, some are just absurd.

Oooh, great car, no MOT
    Oooh, great car, high emission.
    Oooh, great car, too many owners.
    Oooh, great car, too ugly.
    Oooh, great car, mileage too low.
    Oooh, great car, mileage too high.
    Oooh, great car, 2mpg higher than I wanted.
    Oooh, great car, wrong colour.
    Oooh, great car, tax is too high.
    Oooh, great car, wrong kind of automatic gear box.

I think you will dismiss one because it has 4 wheels next.

Remind us what your budget is again? £10 million?

Are you sure you are in the position to bargain with a few thousand? You are probably going to say i am being mean and a dick to you but I am trying to get some sense into your thick skull.  It's been 3 fricking months now, 3 months!!! Not only you haven't found a car, you haven't even settled on a model.  Not even made a decision on whether you want a petrol or Diesel.  You are STILL in Square fricking One.

Honestly, read it back, can you REALLY say, hand on heart that you are being reasonable and realistic? 
    Why can I only give this *one* wisdom??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2658
    Options paralysis. Life's too short to seek perfection in every decision we make. Learn to prioritise. Is it really that important? It's only a car.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    edited June 2019
    ewal said:
    Options paralysis. Life's too short to seek perfection in every decision we make. Learn to prioritise. Is it really that important? It's only a car.
    It's only options paralysis when you are looking at the whole market.

It's like buying guitars, it's rather easy once you have decided to get a Guitar instead of a Bass.  Then you decide whether you want a Single Cut or Double Cut, single coil or Humbuckers.

You narrow down your choices by doing research, once you narrowed it down have the conviction to stick with your decision, knowing that decision is the right one.  What you don't do is go out to find a used PRS SE at lunchtime and then decides a Musicman Bass is the way to go by afternoon tea.

And most of all, be realistic.  You won't get a Vintage 59 Les Paul for Epiphone money so no point even wasting a breath looking for it.

Know your budget and what kind of car your budget in that market segment gets you.  Know that used cars will have some wear and tear but any car you buy will be made in the thousands so it is hardly a collector's item.  It is a consumerable goods.  Buy the one that is right for the price for that market segment.  

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    edited June 2019
    @Emp_Fab. You're beginning to make yourself look foolish now. Before you post another car suggestion for our consideration please do your research. You keep posting ideas then a few posts later dismissing the idea. Frankly I'd be embarrassed. And so should you be. 
    hywelg said:
    @Emp_Fab. You're beginning to make yourself look foolish now. Before you post another car suggestion for our consideration please do your research. You keep posting ideas then a few posts later dismissing the idea. Frankly I'd be embarrassed. And so should you be. 
    That Merc or the Alpha are great.  £300 tax is hardly the end of the world.  My Volvo cost the same to tax, my old Yaris was in the £200 tax band!  That is the territory for some petrol engines (at least they didn't cheat the emission tests :open_mouth: ) 

Whats £300 more + £200 extra for fuel for a car that you actually like getting into twice a day, spending 10% of your waking hours in?  These things don't come free, you need to pay for them.

To dismiss the Merc because it is £300 tax band is absurd, I presume that he would be happy to get it if it is £100 tax, so basically he is rejecting the car over £200 spent over the entire year.   

And then rejecting a car because of DSG, he has probably read some internet stuff about them blowing up or something, again.   Weirdly he believes everything he reads on the internet except here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    hywelg said:
    That Merc or the Alpha are great.  £300 tax is hardly the end of the world.  My Volvo cost the same to tax, my old Yaris was in the £200 tax band!  That is the territory for some petrol engines (at least they didn't cheat the emission tests :open_mouth: ) 

Whats £300 more + £200 extra for fuel for a car that you actually like getting into twice a day, spending 10% of your waking hours in?  These things don't come free, you need to pay for them.

To dismiss the Merc because it is £300 tax band is absurd, I presume that he would be happy to get it if it is £100 tax, so basically he is rejecting the car over £200 spent over the entire year.   

And then rejecting a car because of DSG, he has probably read some internet stuff about them blowing up or something, again.   Weirdly he believes everything he reads on the internet except here.

highlighted for truth. 

"I want a sports car"
    "Here's a really nice, reliable german one - looks great, performs well and is fun to drive. Oh and it's within your budget"
    "GREAT! Where do I sign???"
    "Just on this line, we'll tax it for the first year, and it's £300 a year after that. Less than £1 a day for an enjoyable drive, what a bargain!"
    "£300?? No, sorry, I'm out. I want a sports car, but I want to pay small hatchback road tax, don't you understand?!?!?"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    This is what I never understood about people switching to diesel because of the tax incentive. It was always peanuts compared to the running costs of any car.

But people's minds seem to be easily swayed by tiny benefits when they contain the word 'tax'... or even do something that doesn't benefit them at all, as long as they think they're putting one over on the government.

joneve said:
    hywelg said:

highlighted for truth. 

"I want a sports car"
    "Here's a really nice, reliable german one - looks great, performs well and is fun to drive. Oh and it's within your budget"
    "GREAT! Where do I sign???"
    "Just on this line, we'll tax it for the first year, and it's £300 a year after that. Less than £1 a day for an enjoyable drive, what a bargain!"
    "£300?? No, sorry, I'm out. I want a sports car, but I want to pay small hatchback road tax, don't you understand?!?!?"

Unicorn.  He will never find one, thus he will never buy a car.

What he is looking for does not exist.
    ICBM said:
    This is what I never understood about people switching to diesel because of the tax incentive. It was always peanuts compared to the running costs of any car.

But people's minds seem to be easily swayed by tiny benefits when they contain the word 'tax'... or even do something that doesn't benefit them at all, as long as they think they're putting one over on the government.
    I’ve heard “my car is only £30 to tax”

Yeah but you drive a 1.4L 4 pot diesel Astra...I would pay someone not having to drive they every day.  So I am.

It makes me smile when I start the car in the morning, the little rumble in the exhaust, how smooth the engine is at cruising.

Worth every penny.
    RaymondLin said:

It makes me smile when I start the car in the morning, the little rumble in the exhaust, how smooth the engine is at cruising.
    My Renault Scenic has developed a little rumble in the exhaust too, but sadly I think it's probably because the silencer is on the way out... :)

It's also very nice and smooth when cruising, but what's more surprising is how much fun it is to drive on country roads, for such a large car with only a 1.6 petrol engine, and which was clearly not designed for performance.

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    To be fair, this thread is definitely making my day go quicker. And it makes me feel really good about myself, because compared to Emps procrastination, I’m an impulsive, trigger happy purchaser.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.