Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    I'm going to buy a Skoda Kodiaq soon.

Just thought you'd all like to know. 

It'll most likely be before the end of the year, so before Emp makes a decision. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24728
    I'm planning on travelling on the train tomorrow to buy a Hyundai i30 Auto - DIESEL!  I'm still planning on getting a Veloster though, when one comes up, but it has to be green and automatic.  Until then, the i30 will suffice.

My next question to you all is this:  How many of you have bought a used car recently from a dealer / used car lot ?  What's the deal with haggling ?  I've dipped a toe in this with a couple of cars I've seen recently but they all seem shocked that I am attempting to haggle - it's almost as if it's not done these days !

"It's priced to sell" is a phrase that keeps coming up.....  whatever the fuck that means !!

Have you had any success getting the price of a motor lowered at a second hand car dealers ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    WOW..... Is this thread still going?? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'm planning on travelling on the train tomorrow to buy a Hyundai i30 Auto - DIESEL!  I'm still planning on getting a Veloster though, when one comes up, but it has to be green and automatic.  Until then, the i30 will suffice.

My next question to you all is this:  How many of you have bought a used car recently from a dealer / used car lot ?  What's the deal with haggling ?  I've dipped a toe in this with a couple of cars I've seen recently but they all seem shocked that I am attempting to haggle - it's almost as if it's not done these days !

"It's priced to sell" is a phrase that keeps coming up.....  whatever the fuck that means !!

Have you had any success getting the price of a motor lowered at a second hand car dealers ?
    Yes, but not much - £250 on a £6K car, and he agreed to take our old one (which was probably worthless in reality) as a trade for another £250. I couldn't even get a penny off the £4K one, although the price ticket on the car in the yard was £200 less than the price online.

I think the reason is that the old strategy used to be to start high, then be able to drop to the price the dealer really wanted and make the buyer think they'd got money off, whereas really it was just the dealer's bottom line price anyway.

But now, given that they all advertise online, starting high just means no-one bothers to come and look at it at all, so they have to start at the bottom line price or very close to it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I tried haggling on my £25k 1 year old , got £400.  They pointed out (reasonably) that it was already the cheapest in the country on that plate/miles/spec.  If you have already found one priced well then expect less room to move I guess. 

Man, it’s like an end of an era. (Perhaps) 
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    I’ll believe it when I see it.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27142
    Emp_Fab said:

Yeah - got my Celica knocked down from a grand to £890 by listing the stuff that I needed to do to it, then put £60 back on for a year's MOT (which is all I was angling for in the first place, so I was still £50 up).
    <space for hire>
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12534
    If you don’t get far with haggling on the ticket price then try for extras like 6 or 12 months road tax, full tank of fuel, extra warranty etc. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5612
    I didn't get them down on price for the car, but they did give me £950 trade in on my old car when it was really only worth £500 tops.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32036
    boogieman said:
    If you don’t get far with haggling on the ticket price then try for extras like 6 or 12 months road tax, full tank of fuel, extra warranty etc. 
    This. The last £3k car I bought they wouldn't shift on the price, but I got a fresh MOT and the cambelt done even though it was 20,000 miles early. 
    p90fool said:
    boogieman said:
    This. The last £3k car I bought they wouldn't shift on the price, but I got a fresh MOT and they told me they'd done the cambelt even though it was 20,000 miles early. 
    FTFY :-)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12064
    I got a new set of tyres with mine and got a cracking deal for my trade in car with a broken exhaust and a cracked bumper.
    ....and........  I'm not going to get that car.  I discovered at the last minute that it wasn't the low-emissions low-tax high mpg version I thought it was and it only does high 30's on the mpg front.  

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2960
    31 pages....31.......

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12064
    I was going to warn you not to get a diesel as we have been through that saga twice already...
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3692
    ICBM said:
    Get a 911, it stands out in a crowded car park.
    So does a brown Renault Grand Scenic! It's quite tall, and... brown. Can't miss it.

And unlike the Porsche, it will definitely be where you left it when you come back :).
    Ant it will have a working cooling system that wont fry the engine.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1796
    Emp_Fab said:
    Believe it or not, I've actually been giving some thought to this:-

It's rather lovely in 'fugly' kind of way ! :-)
    Hotpoint? 

Looks like a fridge on wheels. Yikes...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12534
    Emp_Fab said:
    Believe it or not, I've actually been giving some thought to this:-

It's rather lovely in 'fugly' kind of way ! :-)
    Hotpoint? 

Looks like a fridge on wheels. Yikes...
    I’m thinking more...... Smeg. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    I've realised the mistake I've been making in my most recent approach.  I've pretty much settled on a lime green or yellow Veloster Sport Automatic.  However, they are rarer than diesel helicopters, so I may have to wait a while before one appears on the market.  As previously mentioned, I therefore need to get something in the interim.  My failing has been to try to apply too many conditions to the choice of interim car.  I've basically been doing the same with the interim car as I did with the choosing of the 'keeper' car, and ending up trying to find perfection in what, really, should be just a means of getting from A to B until a green (or yellow) Veloster comes along.  I'm so fixated on getting an auto though, I don't think I can wait for the Veloster for that, so I'm going to have to settle for any small auto....  that isn't black.

I'm heading back into the maze that is Autotrader, Ebay & Gumtree.....   I'll be back.....

Probably without a car.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7138
    tFB Trader
    Get the black Molester and have @lamf68 refinish it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom