Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    I pointed Emp towards a Lexus IS250C a little while ago (I used to have one).  It's the 2.5 litre V6 Convertible, younger and more economical than the V8.  Comes with all the Lexus refinement and reliability, but it wasn't a patch on a Hyundai diesel apparently (or some other set of reasons).  I drive a Lexus RX now, best vehicle I've ever had.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1570
    Here’s something for sale, within budget and very unique....although you might want to make sure you’re up on your inoculations before getting in!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1971-MORRIS-MARINA-1-8-TC-FREAK-NUMBER-PLATE-TOTALLY-UNIQUE-CLASSIC-CAR/143309673311?hash=item215dec135f:g:KU4AAOSwHUVdE5zB
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited June 2019
    joneve said:
    Further from my previous comment about getting a V8

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201906219248548?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=hr11hb&radius=1501&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=sponsored&price-to=7000&model=SC 430&make=LEXUS&page=1

Within budget, Lexus reliability, retractable roof.

Yeah it has a high tax band, it is a V8!
    Yeah it won't do 50mpg, it IS a V8!
    Yes it has a scratch, after 15years!  You can polish that out.

But it is unique.
    It isn't many around, 
    It is reliable.
    It is comfortable.
    It is not chavvy, it is NOT a car people buy to dart around in. 

Christ, they really did love their wood finishes 15 years ago, didn't they? 

I really miss my Lexus though The NX was the nicest car I've ever owned. So comfy and just felt like quality all over. 
    Even the seats appear to have a wood finish o ... that or someone's bowel exploded while driving it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Here’s something for sale, within budget and very unique....although you might want to make sure you’re up on your inoculations before getting in!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1971-MORRIS-MARINA-1-8-TC-FREAK-NUMBER-PLATE-TOTALLY-UNIQUE-CLASSIC-CAR/143309673311?hash=item215dec135f:g:KU4AAOSwHUVdE5zB
    That is truly epic on so many levels, front end looks to be off a Vauxhall Ventora, AutoSpeed sticker in the rear window that reads 'AutoPeed', rear screen slat blind thing, pedestrian friendly chain bumpers, spore laden sex-worker's boudoir interior that you can smell through your computer screen and I thought it wasn't possible to make a Marina look worse!

In all seriousness that's quite an amazing time-piece. Would be great if someone could restore it and keep it in the same guise rather than return it yet another boring spec-Marina. Funny to think it was almost four years younger than that Lexus when it was taken off the road :o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Yesterday I went to a car dealership to take a look. Today I bought a new car. Yay me! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    I pointed Emp towards a Lexus IS250C a little while ago (I used to have one).  It's the 2.5 litre V6 Convertible, younger and more economical than the V8.  Comes with all the Lexus refinement and reliability, but it wasn't a patch on a Hyundai diesel apparently (or some other set of reasons).  I drive a Lexus RX now, best vehicle I've ever had.
    Just a bit jealous! I sit in the showroom display model every time I go and see my dad at work. 

We are going to have to settle for a Skoda Kodiaq instead :( Although having said that, for the money, it's a VERY nice car. Just not Lexus nice. And I keep telling myself that the Lexus in-car technology is shite and dated (Which it is, generally), to try and make myself feel better :D 
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    ICBM said:
    To dismiss the Merc because it is £300 tax band is absurd, I presume that he would be happy to get it if it is £100 tax, so basically he is rejecting the car over £200 spent over the entire year.
    This is what I never understood about people switching to diesel because of the tax incentive. It was always peanuts compared to the running costs of any car.

But people's minds seem to be easily swayed by tiny benefits when they contain the word 'tax'... or even do something that doesn't benefit them at all, as long as they think they're putting one over on the government.
    My old boss would happily pay his accountant £1000 to save paying the tax office £10!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7127
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader

"CAN JUST BE TRANSPORTED TO SHOWS AS IT IS" or more likely, the scrap yard.

If only it were yellow or green :)
  • I bet I buy a car before Emperor Trumpulous does.

Bye!

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    edited June 2019
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28007
    I bet I buy a car before Emperor Trumpulous does.
    There's a fair chance your kid will buy a car before Emp does.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24702
    Emp_Fab said:
    I’m finding it extremely amusing why some of you are getting SO frustrated with my procrastination!

Some of you are on the verge of actual anger!  WTF’s wrong with you?!  It’s only one man dithering about what car to get. It doesn’t affect you at all!  It’s not like I’ve promised you all a ride in it!  3
    I wouldn’t call it procrastination, total utter incompetence failure would be closer to the truth.

”I MUST get a car this weekend”
    ”My job starts soon and I NEED a car”
    ”Mrs Emp says I HAVE to get a car this weekend”

Utter utter BS lies over and over, who are you trying to kid? You’ve been taking the bus for 2 months with access to a van.  You don’t need a car.  This is why you haven’t bought one.

Procrastination my ass, massive troll more like.

When people need something, they do something about it.  You don’t need a car at all, you just want one, a hairdresser one at that.  That much is clear.  It’s not going to do many miles because you don’t need a car so why the hell have you been looking at diesel is an utter mystery to me beside the fact that you can’t even see straight.

if I’m in your position I’d go buy the cheapest V8 with a MOT out there and enjoy it until it goes bang.

https://www.angermanage.co.uk
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5459
    Every time I read this thread, and see new suggestions pop up, I can't help but think of how an old, bad, joke has become a salutary tale and exemplar:

A hunter goes into the forest, looking to hunt some bear. 

He sees the bear 100 yards out, takes aim, and fires. The bear disappears in a cloud of dust and the hunter feels a tap on his shoulder. He turns around and sees the bear. The bear says, "We don't take kindly to hunters around here. Now you have two options: suck my big bear dick or I rip you apart."

The hunter doesn't think twice, blows him, and the bear lets him go. 

The next day, the hunter returns, furious and determined to get the bear. He sees it 75 yards out, fires, and again misses and feels a tap on his shoulder. "Well, this is your second offence, so you have two options: take it up the ass or I disembowel you."

Wanting to live, the hunter takes the sodomy and drives home pissed off. 

He comes back yet again, sees the bear napping 50 yards out, fires and misses. The bear disappears and the hunter feels that tap on his shoulder again. 

"You're not here for the hunting, are you?"

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12054
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I’m finding it extremely amusing why some of you are getting SO frustrated with my procrastination!

Some of you are on the verge of actual anger!  WTF’s wrong with you?!  It’s only one man dithering about what car to get. It doesn’t affect you at all!  It’s not like I’ve promised you all a ride in it!  3
    I wouldn’t call it procrastination, total utter incompetence failure would be closer to the truth.

Utter utter BS lies over and over, who are you trying to kid? You’ve been taking the bus for 2 months with access to a van.  You don’t need a car.  This is why you haven’t bought one.

When people need something, they do something about it.  You don’t need a car at all, you just want one, a hairdresser one at that.  That much is clear.  It’s not going to do many miles because you don’t need a car so why the hell have you been looking at diesel is an utter mystery to me beside the fact that you can’t even see straight.

if I’m in your position I’d go buy the cheapest V8 with a MOT out there and enjoy it until it goes bang.

I just dislike bullshitters.

In the interest of being honest, it seems between the 2 of us, i am the only one saying the truth.  I am not angry, not in the slightest but i do say that the overall feeling is that it is incredibly frustrating to see someone who doesn't learn, at all.  Not sure if it is intelligence, stubbornness or inability to read or all of the above.  You have not taken up a single piece of advice given in 3 months here as by the evidence you are still looking at diesel cars up until yesterday.

Why is that? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27087
    edited June 2019
    @RaymondLin - could you cool it down a bit, please? You're starting to get awfully close to a rule break, and I'm sure we'd all rather it didn't get that far

(almost as many of us as who'd wish Emp would just buy something...)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    @RaymondLin - could you cool it down a bit, please? You're starting to get awfully close to a rule break, and I'm sure we'd all rather it didn't get that far

(almost as many of us as who'd wish Emp would just buy something...)
    Me too, buy anything!

I actually want him to buy a diesel, watch it break and then learn the lesson the hard way while I eat popcorn.

(I wonder if the counter psychology works to get him getting a petrol)
  • TTony said:
    I bet I buy a car before Emperor Trumpulous does.
    There's a fair chance your kid will buy a car before Emp does.
    lmao!

Bye!

• Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

In the interest of being honest, it seems between the 2 of us, i am the only one saying the truth.  I am not angry, not in the slightest but i do say that the overall feeling is that it is incredibly frustrating to see someone who doesn't learn, at all.  Not sure if it is intelligence, stubbornness or inability to read or all of the above.  You have not taken up a single piece of advice given in 3 months here as by the evidence you are still looking at diesel cars up until yesterday.

Why is that? 

Can I talk to you about our lord and saviour, the God of Laminate Flooring?

Bye!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Why is that? 

Can I talk to you about our lord and saviour, the God of Laminate Flooring?
    Only if you dress in rainbow.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24702
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Why is that? 

You're funny! ..Angry and slightly strange too, but funny!
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom