Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1750
    And if i didn't fancy using the Volvo i took the Triumph GT6. Those were the days, running around in a 16 year old Golf now.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12515
    Emp_Fab said:
    @RaymondLin I didn’t know the Veloster existed until I drove past one parked in my local pub - so to answer your question, yes, I at least have seen one  =)

Re the Volvo C30...  it’s close but no cigar.  The arse of it is pretty ugly.  I think the V40 is much better styled.
    But, but......the arse is the best looking bit of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    edited May 2019
    boogieman said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    @RaymondLin I didn’t know the Veloster existed until I drove past one parked in my local pub - so to answer your question, yes, I at least have seen one 

Re the Volvo C30...  it’s close but no cigar.  The arse of it is pretty ugly.  I think the V40 is much better styled.
    You cannot mistaken it for anything else.  Even in the dark it looks like nothing else on the road, you can spot one in the motorway day or night.  It looks like a smilie face (ignore the break light at the top, which won't be on)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16399
    boogieman said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    @RaymondLin I didn’t know the Veloster existed until I drove past one parked in my local pub - so to answer your question, yes, I at least have seen one  =)

Yeh, I think from the front it’s very generic but side and rear on it has individuality. Which seemed to be the kind of combination that...oh well...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Tricky decision, so while your making your mind up get a leon mk1 130 6, and give it a fresh cambelt (despite what the vendor said its just had) even with me driving one at 160k+ they'l do 60?65 mpg on a long run and 44 mpg in traffic.Unlike the golf mk 4 it will fit a couple of guitar cases in the boot and go round corners sideways (if required for general road safety) good speakers too. A great motor to use to see which one you really ought to buy.
    When logic and proportion
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12515
    boogieman said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    @RaymondLin I didn’t know the Veloster existed until I drove past one parked in my local pub - so to answer your question, yes, I at least have seen one 

You cannot mistaken it for anything else.  Even in the dark it looks like nothing else on the road, you can spot one in the motorway day or night.  It looks like a smilie face (ignore the break light at the top, which won't be on)

Looks like a happy frog.  :)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Come on, Emp - here's a Maserati for you!

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/157010/selling-my-car

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24700
    edited May 2019
    I’ve already clocked that thread!   I can’t see him selling it for £7K and can you imagine the mpg?!!  Sorry...the gpm!

ronnyb said:
    And if i didn't fancy using the Volvo i took the Triumph GT6. Those were the days, running around in a 16 year old Golf now.
    See, now those are good looking motors.  I was watching the traffic go by as I walked to the train station yesterday and it’s depressing how 99.9% of all cars these days are almost identical.  Everything looks the bloody same.  Gone are the days when you could identify a car from a distance because of its shape and styling.  Today you have to get close enough to read the badges so you can tell it from all the other homogeneous identikit cars.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Right, this weekend I have to get something.  My plan this morning is to scour the usual sites for my ‘keeper’ car - which will be one of; Honda CRZ, Honda Civic, Hyundai Veloster or Volvo V40.  If I can’t find what I’m looking for this morning (price, service history, colour, spec etc) then I will just grab a little Hyundai i10 toot-toot or similar locally to use as a ‘hire car’ until the right example of the aforementioned three appears.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    Emp_Fab said:
    Right, this weekend I have to get something.  My plan this morning is to scour the usual sites for my ‘keeper’ car - which will be one of; Honda CRZ, Honda Civic, Hyundai Veloster or Volvo V40.  If I can’t find what I’m looking for this morning (price, service history, colour, spec etc) then I will just grab a little Hyundai i10 toot-toot or similar locally to use as a ‘hire car’ until the right example of the aforementioned three appears.
    I counted four.  Which one have you gone off in the seconds it took you to complete the post ?  Good luck with your search  :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28006
    Emp_Fab said:
    Right, this weekend I have to get something.  My plan this morning is to scour the usual sites for my ‘keeper’ car - which will be one of; Honda CRZ, Honda Civic, Hyundai Veloster or Volvo V40.  If I can’t find what I’m looking for this morning (price, service history, colour, spec etc) then I will just grab a little Hyundai i10 toot-toot or similar 
    1.  Honda CRZ
    2. Honda Civic
    3. Hyundai Veloster
    4. Volvo V40

Emp_Fab said:
    then I will just grab a little Hyundai i10 toot-toot or similar locally to use as a ‘hire car’ until the right example of the aforementioned three appears.

errrr ....
    :D

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2511
    edited May 2019

(Alloys on the second one are slightly questionable I'll admit, but there are others for a similar price)

V40s are nice but the oldest looking of the cars Volvo make. Since changing their design language the V40 looks like a 12 year old design that someone stuck new headlights on, which is essentially what it is

The Honda on the other hand looks like a Honda and the Hyundai looks like a current Hyundai
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    Hahaha....  I edited it to include the V40 but forgot to increment the number!

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1779
    This thread is better than last season of GoT.
    This thread is better than last season of GoT.
    Today is the finale....let’s see!
  • Brexit will be done... sorted... and a distant memory... before @Emp_Fab actually makes a purchase!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28006
    edited May 2019
    Today is the finale....let’s see!
    Do you really believe that?

I'm waiting for the  bit where Emp posts "Sorry guys, it was all a dream, I've still got my old job, I don't need a new car, and I didn't kill Sue Ellen*".

* I don't remember the details!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    strtdv said:

(Alloys on the second one are slightly questionable I'll admit, but there are others for a similar price)

V40s are nice but the oldest looking of the cars Volvo make. Since changing their design language the V40 looks like a 12 year old design that someone stuck new headlights on, which is essentially what it is

The Honda on the other hand looks like a Honda and the Hyundai looks like a current Hyundai
    Yeah, I’ve looked at both of those thanks.  I don’t want a red car unless it’s a candy apple metallic / pearlescent, so that particular Veloster is out.  That CRZ keeps popping back on my radar but there are three things that put me off...  the seller refers to it being his son’s car (younger driver=more likelihood of being thrashed), those alloys are hideous and the Darth Vader air freshener does nothing to assuage my concerns about his maturity.

edited May 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    strtdv said:

Yeah, I’ve looked at both of those thanks.  I don’t want a red car unless it’s a candy apple metallic / pearlescent, so that particular Veloster is out.  That CRZ keeps popping back on my radar but there are three things that put me off...  the seller refers to it being his son’s car (younger driver=more likelihood of being thrashed), those alloys are hideous and the Darth Vader air freshener does nothing to assuage my concerns about his maturity.
    Stop ruling out perfectly good cars for vanity, it’s just a colour, you don’t have time to be picky.  You did 2 months ago but not when you start work next week.

That VERY specific red you want doesn’t sound like a standard free option but something very specific and expensive and likely not offered on any of the cars you are looking for.

when will you understand?
    Just out of curiosity, would anyone be put off by a ‘10 plate car having “5+” previous keepers?

My first reaction to that is ‘Nobody seems to want to keep it for very long’.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom