Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    celentium said:
    celentium said:
    Could he afford to run that Porsche? What would be a sensible repair pot fund to run it? 
    He can take the bus if he needs to, he proved that is an option for the last 3 months.  I mean he almost bought a Mercedes SLK twice, which would carry a similarly maintenance and running cost.
    Good points, we both know Emp would never get one... But I am interested in the anticipated running costs as I could see myself in one as a weekend car. You sound like you've done your research so it would be good to hear your thoughts. 
    A Porsche comprehensive warranty can be had for £1200 which covers everything, so you can either put say £2000 as a slush fund which might never get used, or put £1200 a year into a warranty and you can run it like any other eco box.  
    Does it matter were you purchase the Porsche for it to qualify? Are there other criteria for the car to qualify for the warranty?
    No, all it needs is go through the 111points Porsche inspection check and if it passes, that’s it.  There are strict criteria for oils, and tyres mind.
    Thanks. Appreciated. 
    https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/owningyourporsche/porschewarrantyperiods/

Oldest limit is 14 years old so 2005 is the oldest it will qualify for.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 548
    The Alfa linked above didn't have an MOT when due in Sept 18. Maybe somebody forgot but maybe some other reason like it was being repaired etc. I'd be cautious on that one.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    edited June 2019
    Emp, if you like the Mazda3 then just get one! Mine is Mica Titanium, so not grey or black.
    Web pic:
    http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/111655960.jpg

Tbh, the Soul Red DOES look amazing, and that's coming from someone who doesn't like red cars!

It's a helluva car for the money. I have the 2.2D SE-L Nav, my niece has the 2.0 Sport petrol. I love the styling and the interior is clean and classy. It's not the most common car but still to this day turns a head. If memory serves it shares some DNA with the MX-5. It certainly sits low and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. 50-60 mpg too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Just buy a Focus and move on.
    Life is too short to dither over old, run of the mill cars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1872
    I think you should buy a Nissan Juke.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp, have you not ever wanted a car in your life?

like in every day life do you not see a car and go “hmmmm I’d like that”

do you?

because I do, I have a mental list of cars that I like, either from the look of, or from it’s performance, I don’t mean something like a Lambo which unless I win the lottery it will not happen (those are the cars that they say if you can’t afford to buy 2, don’t buy 1).  I’m talking about achievable cars.

Like , as you probably know, I like the Boxster and the Cayman, these cars are out of budget when new but I can afford one used.  I also like the Fiat Abarth 595.  Or the Hyundai i30N, things like that. I also have a soft spot for the BMW Z4, the coupe and the retractable hard roof.

I have a mental list of cars that I like.

Do you not have that?

What cars do you like? What turns your head? Now you can buy one.  It doesn’t sound like you are restricted to space, you don’t need to fit a baby seat, you don’t need a boot for work equipment.  You can basically get your realistic dream car.

your dream car can’t be a Mazda 3, decent that they are.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Saw 58 new posts and thought maybe he's finally bought a car.  Should have known better!
  • Electro_HamElectro_Ham Frets: 102
    Some people like cars. They take an interest in them, probably from an early age, and develop a desire for certain ones, probably through life experiences or knowledge gained. It's like a hobby and an ambition.
    Some peoples life experiences of, in this case, cars, might not be all that 'exciting' and there might not be the same desire.
    It's easy to see the people who love cars in this thread. There are people who have a knowledge and want to impart that knowledge in order to help Emp (who really doesn't sound like someone who is cut out to buy cars) is admirable - but the advice is falling on deaf ears. (Fraid so Emp).
    From all these pages, I'd say Emp really hates cars. He has no interest whatsoever. The mere thought of having to spend £XXXX and travel more than 30 miles to get one is really abhors him. I think he really would rather get the train/bus/etc. Keep the £6950 and book a cruise/holiday for you and Mrs Emp.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24649
    edited June 2019
    >Do you not have that ?

I don't actually!  I think that's part of the problem.  Having had very little or no say in what car I drive for the last quarter of a century, I've never really thought about it.  Yeah, I'd like a Lambo or a Ferrari or some other supercar, but in terms of wanting something realistic - no, because it was never an option.  Now, the world is my lobster, and I'm free to pick anything, within reason.  I'm like the proverbial kid in the sweetshop - I want everything - but I don't know what that is !

I want something unusual - something you hardly ever see, in a bright colour you hardly ever see.  [Psychoanalyst mode on] Hmmm... this seems to be a desire to be seen - to draw attention.  I wonder if it's possibly a compensatory device to counter my ego-bruising associated with losing my job and status.  A means of saying to the world "I'm still here" ? [Psychoanalyst mode off].

Yeah, so...  something that will make people look and think "He must be interesting....  I wish to shag him (wimmins) / be like him (non-wimmins)".  Something in lurid yellow or green...  not boy-racer....  not 'oldest swinger in town with a few quid'...  just 'Hmmm..... that's unusual...'.  Whatever it is, the last thing I want is for it to look like every other car on the road.  The temporary car can be anything (but I still harbour a desire for it to stand out!), but the keeper car needs to be a head-turner.  Hence my leaning towards a custard-yellow Veloster etc!  It's bright, it's rare, it's not hideous to many people....  Whatever your feelings on it, you are unlikely to be ambivalent.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    From all these pages, I'd say Emp really hates cars. He has no interest whatsoever. The mere thought of having to spend £XXXX and travel more than 30 miles to get one is really abhors him. I think he really would rather get the train/bus/etc. Keep the £6950 and book a cruise/holiday for you and Mrs Emp.
    Sorry Dude... you're miles off the mark.  The 30 mile thing is now just a necessity to get something local, quickly.  Earlier in the thread, I was looking at 7h+ train journeys.  Maybe my previous post will explain.  I'm looking forward to owning my own car for a change - having the option to modify it if I wish, getting under the bonnet with my spanners !  I've already ordered an OBD2 scanner :-)

• Electro_HamElectro_Ham Frets: 102
    Well, good luck Emp. You are an enigma. If you want to get busy with the OBD2 tool and spanners, pick up a £50 s**tbox from the scrappy:)
    edited June 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    >Do you not have that ?

I don't actually!  I think that's part of the problem.  Having had very little or no say in what car I drive for the last quarter of a century, I've never really thought about it.  Yeah, I'd like a Lambo or a Ferrari or some other supercar, but in terms of wanting something realistic - no, because it was never an option.  Now, the world is my lobster, and I'm free to pick anything, within reason.  I'm like the proverbial kid in the sweetshop - I want everything - but I don't know what that is !

I want something unusual - something you hardly ever see, in a bright colour you hardly ever see.  [Psychoanalyst mode on] Hmmm... this seems to be a desire to be seen - to draw attention.  I wonder if it's possibly a compensatory device to counter my ego-bruising associated with losing my job and status.  A means of saying to the world "I'm still here" ? [Psychoanalyst mode off].

Yeah, so...  something that will make people look and think "He must be interesting....  I wish to shag him (wimmins) / be like him (non-wimmins)".  Something in lurid yellow or green...  not boy-racer....  not 'oldest swinger in town with a few quid'...  just 'Hmmm..... that's unusual...'.  Whatever it is, the last thing I want is for it to look like every other car on the road.  The temporary car can be anything (but I still harbour a desire for it to stand out!), but the keeper car needs to be a head-turner.  Hence my leaning towards a custard-yellow Veloster etc!  It's bright, it's rare, it's not hideous to many people....  Whatever your feelings on it, you are unlikely to be ambivalent.
    I am afraid if you want "He must be interesting....  I wish to shag him (wimmins) / be like him (non-wimmins)", a Hyundai is not it.  Not even close.

Cars in this bracket just doesn't say that at all.  If you want REALLY unique, you need to get something like a Morgan but these are way over your 
    budget.  

£7k and TRUE interesting car just don't go together, true interesting car cost money.  

There are reasons why a car is £7k.

1 - it was cheap to begin with, now they are old enough, generally about 5-8 years they lose 50 to 70% of their value.  So a £20k car now becomes a £7k car.  This will be your run of the mill shopping trolleys.  Your Fiesta, your Focus, your Civic etc.

2 - Old cars that no body wants.  You can for example get an Audi S4 with a V8 inside for around your budget.  Because people don't want to run these, or can afford to when something breaks, all these cars will reflect right for their mileage and condition.   These are interesting to car people because of their performance, their engine, but you need to know your cars to get one of these.  You need to know exactly what to look out for, what is the common faults to get one of these.  These cars are not for you but unfortunately these are the cars that can make a woman shag you…..

What you are looking for unfortunately don't exist in our universe, because your criteria are just so alien to everyone else.  We have no idea what you think it is interesting, because I tried explaining to you why a Fiat 500 is interesting but you just don't get it.  So your first sentence that "He must be interesting....  I wish to shag him (wimmins) / be like him (non-wimmins)" just won't materialise because people just don't think like you do.

If you pull up to pick up a woman for a first date, I hazard a guess that most will want to shag someone turn up in a Porsche than a Hyundai.  If "should I shag him base on the car the the drive"s is a criteria getting a £7k car.

What you want is a quirky car, quirky that they are, i think a 70 old lady might comment how interesting it is at your local supermarket car park, pulling 25 year old they are not.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Somebody, please, set up a website like that Margaret Thatcher “is she dead yet?” one, only with “Has he bought it yet?”  
    The shagging reference was tongue-in-cheek.  I'm not seriously on the pull :lol: 

My budget is what it is...  I'm not increasing it just to get something that's classically "sexy".  Quirky is a good word actually, to define part of my goal.  Hence my interest in the CR-Z, Veloster, Cube etc.  The Giulietta is also a bit quirky but attractive and stylish with it.

If only it came in custard yellow.

(only joking!)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Find a red Giulietta and be done with it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Emp_Fab said: getting under the bonnet with my spanners !  I've already ordered an OBD2 scanner :-)
    Haha, so when you've googled the P0088 fault code what will you do with your spanners, line them up and pray to the car Gods?

If you want to use spanners buy an Allegro. 
    Emp, here are a few rules that people who like cars, and knows cars do when they buy cars.

1 - Distance isn't really a problem - Think about it.  What is 1 day's work to get something that you are going to use for a year, spending at like 10-20% of your daily life in?  

2 - Unless you are REALLY doing like 20k a year, do not get a Diesel.  If you want smooth driving, and want an Automatic anyway, you don't need a Diesel at all and all the problems that come with one.  It's not like you are racing someone at the lights so a petrol is perfectly suitable.

3 - STOP writing cars off due to a colour.  It's like the worst thing to do when dismissing perfectly legit cars.  Then nothing worst by getting an exotic colour in the next step when the intention is to sell the car soon.  People in general want the basic Black, White, Blue or Grey.  Boring I know, but that's what sells.  Doing what you are doing you are both limiting the number of good cars you are able to choose and limiting your audience when it comes to selling.    So the chances of you getting a good condition one in a colour that you want is low, then lower than when it comes to sell.  Your car is unlikely to be the best condition one at that market segment because for 1 of your bogey green there will be 10 black/blue/white/grey one which people will choose.  Statistically, there is a MUCH higher chance 1 of these 10 other cars will have either lower mileage, better condition, closer to that buyer etc etc.   What you are doing is trying to sell your car to someone like you.   Good luck with that.

p.s. Forget a spanner, these days you need a degree in electrical engineering to fix a car.  It's fun to look up codes and find out what they are, but that's as far as it goes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    By and large I agree with most of what you say.  I disagree about the electrical engineering degree. Cars are pretty much basic contraptions with the addition of a few computers.  Computers are my field so....

As for the rest... Yes, that's probably the most logical path to take.  But I can take any other path, and that's ok.  If I feel like getting a puce diesel automatic sports car that does 0-60 in 20s, that's ok too.  It's a free world (in this context anyway).