Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Picked up my new car today. Went from deciding I wanted a new car to picking it up in less than a week. I guess it helped that I liked the one in the showroom, so didn’t have to wait for 46 weeks like my last car. Probably also helped that I’m not quite as fussy or indecisive as Mr OP.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24649
    gubble said:
    I'm very confused, tried having a read of this thread and got very lost.

On the surface it looks like:

1. Emp wants a car
    2. Emp has very strict criteria
    3. Emp Claims his criteria are not strict
    Does someone have a refined set of criteria so i can give my opinion? 

As a rule of thumb i'd say; 2 seater convertible = MX5, 4/5 seater sensible car Ford Focus/Mazda 3, Small supermini Fiat 500/Toyota Aygo.

All of those are great cars that are sensible to own and also put a smile on your face whilst driving.

MX5 rusts.  Ford Focus too boring.  Fiat 500 too Ugly.

The Aygo is black ?
    NOW you're getting it! LOL
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1567
    Picked up my new car today. Went from deciding I wanted a new car to picking it up in less than a week. I guess it helped that I liked the one in the showroom, so didn’t have to wait for 46 weeks like my last car. Probably also helped that I’m not quite as fussy or indecisive as Mr OP.  =)
    I loved your old car, what did you decide upon?
     @gubble When did I say my criteria weren't strict?

• celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    If you aren't interested in cars generally, have no consideration for driving dynamics or performance then why spend 7k? Just get a cheap Astra or Insignia and pocket the money for something you're more passionate about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I loved your old car, what did you decide upon?
    RR. Just need to sell my other one now, as the trade in valuation was comical. 
    edited July 2019
    celentium said:
    If you aren't interested in cars generally, have no consideration for driving dynamics or performance then why spend 7k? Just get a cheap Astra or Insignia and pocket the money for something you're more passionate about.
    Right... let's put a stop to all this nonsense !  When have I ever said I'm not interested in cars ?  Huh ?  I'm interested in driving dynamics, I love driving fast in a responsive motor.  It's nothing like the buzz you get from a big bike, but it's a shitload safer.
    My point about performance was that I'm not willing to spend the better part of my budget on a 200+PS engine.  Given that I've finally got a clean licence for the first time in decades, my focus now is on looks, comfort, gadgets etc rather than something that will do a standing quarter mile in 15s and get me banned (again) in 35s !

You can't bloody well go fast anymore anyway - there are cameras everywhere these days.  It won't be long before it's like The Fifth Element and you get banned by the computer in the car !

I'm 55 fer christsake !

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7713
    Emp_Fab said

I'm 55 fer christsake !
    For now  =)
    Red ones are better. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    55!

This is just a mid life crisis, albeit a weird one and wants a Hyundai. 

its like you can’t decide whether you want to follow your head or your heart and is compromising in a all the wrong way.

i still don’t see the attraction of a Volestar.  The people who know cars knows it’s the “crap one”, the US has the new fast one.  People who don’t know cars don’t care about a Hyundai.  So whilst it tickle your fancy, which is fine, it’s not the stand out car you’d think it is. It really isn’t. 

If you care about driving dynamics but don’t want to lose your licence then a MX-5 is perfect because it’s not a fast car.  The fun is the chassis.  You can floor it and still under the speed limit.  The Hyundai will drive like your typical slow FWD hatchback. 

I still think this colour requirement is utterly bonkers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You should buy a Mercedes SLK55, in honour of your age. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    I've had two hot hatches (215 & 300 bhp) and never had a speeding ticket, and I live on the edge of Birmingham.

Your requirements, comments about performance and preferred car selection is so completely at odds with your last post that you're just coming across as a bit.... strange. 

Sorry. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    celentium said:

Your requirements, comments about performance and preferred car selection is so completely at odds with your last post that you're just coming across as a bit.... strange. 

Look, it’s quite straightforward. He wants a four door diesel-powered automatic hatchback with a petrol engine, manual gearbox, two doors and a boot. In any colour except black, white, blue and silver...as long as it’s green. Or orange. Or red. Or purple. Except not purple. Ok? 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    boogieman said:
    celentium said:

Look, it’s quite straightforward. He wants a four door diesel-powered automatic hatchback with a petrol engine, manual gearbox, two doors and a boot. In any colour except black, white, blue and silver...as long as it’s green. Or orange. Or red. Or purple. Except not purple. Ok? 
    And yellow, must be yellow.

Also no Nissan but a Nissan Cube is good.

• LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Emp_Fab said:
    Cars are pretty much basic contraptions with the addition of a few computers.  
    That statement was true in the early to mid 80s.

It is way off the mark with pretty much anything built in the last 15 yrs. 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    celentium said:
    The only other things he’s passionate about are moaning, laminate flooring, and aviation. 

Think this thread might be here for a looooong while.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm 55 fer christsake !
    You've only got fifteen years before you have to renew your driving licence, so better get a move on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm 55 fer christsake !
    You've only got fifteen years before you have to renew your driving licence, so better get a move on.
    The LOL or Wis dilemna
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm 55 fer christsake !
    The LOL or Wis dilemna
    I’ve restored the balance in the force
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1872
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm 55 fer christsake !
    The LOL or Wis dilemna
    I’ve restored the balance in the farce
    FTFY
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Cars are pretty much basic contraptions with the addition of a few computers.  
    That statement was true in the early to mid 80s.

It is way off the mark with pretty much anything built in the last 15 yrs. 
    For you maybe.  Not for me.