How does Andy Timmons get his sound ???

What's Hot

Comments

• Oh, and speaking of interviews, here is one  from April 2016 in Toronto, with the sweet and somewhat ditzy Lady K, during Andy's tour with Jennifer Batten and Uli Jon Roth.

Amazingly this is Andy’s first major North American tour promoting his own music !

Duration 19:19

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chet Baker Tribute Andy Timmons Tenderly/Funny Valentine,  published on Jan 30, 2016:

"Corrected video for the tribute recorded in Room 210 at the Hotel Prins Hendrik in Amsterdam where Chet Baker spent his last hours before falling to his death from the window. There was an incredible vibe in the room with the wind softly blowing through the window and then the bells began to ring. A very emotional day for me..."  Andy Timmons

Duration 4:44

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    NEWS ~ upcoming for launch late Feb 2017

http://guitarxperience.net

Not cheap, but Andy is a great educator.

As his new website says:

MORE THAN A LESSON SITE!

Much more than a guitar lesson site, Andy shares details about every aspect of his musical past, present and future. This site will appeal to the most ardent student as well as the casual fan. Insightful and entertaining, this is a unique opportunity to “hang out” with Andy and hear lots of music, personal stories, and see rare videos and photos. Learn where Andy comes from and where he’s going!

SONG OF THE MONTH

Andy will video an entire song performance and will also break down each section to thoroughly explain the techniques, harmonic structure, difficult or challenging phrases. Tabs and notation will accompany.

LICK BUILDER

Includes practice tips, ideas for broadening your knowledge of the fretboard and increasing your vocabulary. Going beyond just showing licks, these ideas will help you create your own ideas for soloing and melodic lines.

ASK ANDY

Each month, Andy will post a video answering questions sent in by GuitarXperience members. This is a great opportunity to interact with Andy!

PHOTOS & VIDEOS

Members will have access to a wide variety of rare and unseen videos of Andy in action. Also, private photos with back stories including pics with Ringo, the Rolling Stones, Kiss, etc.

One Year Special pre-order offer

PRICE: $360 USD

This is an introductory offer that will expire once the site goes live in late February 2017.

It would be interesting to gauge:

Whether the pricing seems fair, given what is on offer and Andy's experience, including his teaching, personally, at clinics and masterclasses, TrueFire lessons or at various 'Guitar Camps'.

(there is plenty of back catalogue in this thread and elsewhere should you need a refresher),

And also whether anyone on the forum would consider signing up.

It is certainly way cheaper than attending one of those Guitar Camps, and you probably cover a lot more ground too, but maybe with quite the same vibe.

Anyhow, waddya think ?

• Is the answer, to the OP, practice?  I sure that once I heard someone say that it's all in the fingers.

The exception: The Edge - it's all in the multi-effects units.
  • For Guitar Players Only interview with Andy Timmons at NAMM 2017

Talks briefly about the Guitar Experience he is launching this month, and a renewed collaboration with Xotic, along with his history and the state of the business.

Duration 15:08

• newi123newi123 Frets: 902
    edited February 2017
    JDE said:
    I've never heard Timmons before, this thread has been very educational for me, I like his playing! This is a bit of a stupid question, but what genre of music is this type of playing called? 

This style of music is professional YT demonstrating and endorsing.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I'll lol you, @newi123, but Timmons pre-dates YouTube by a large margin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    ^ Yeah ditto. I really like timmons. But I still laughed as well. :D
  • i have an Ibanez catalogue from around 1992 that i read a million times when i was a teenager and I had no idea who Andy Timmons was but i always liked his signature guitar.
    Turns out his might be my favourite tone of any video i;ve seen, i'd love to hear it in person one day

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Moltisanti Wis'd. His full-fat sig Ibanez is sexxxay.
  • Interesting with the current thread on the forum asking if you could make do with just one guitar, he is rarely seen playing anything but his Ibanez signature prototype (easily recognised for over a decade by the missing pick guard tip).

I rather like the mahogany one he used around the mid 2000s, and in the Live Resolution video in the OP.

He also uses a Tele for the country pickin' song, or occasionally a white AT sig model instead.

And recently, has used a white Strat to good effect on a couple of songs.

@Moltisanti , incredible player, he is so dynamic in his playing, more than comes across on YT etc, and so melodic too. Great guy to spend some time with too, if you ever get the chance, he is very approachable.

• I thought I would post this here, a really great version of Electric Gypsy...

Reggie's Music Joint, Chicago IL, Oct 2016

Duration 8:18

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i recently got a Lonestar, and that liquid lead sound is in there is spades, it's a fantastic sounding amp.

Those DiMarzio cruisers sound so nice too, they don;t get talked about much but he makes them sound phenomenal

Great amp the LoneStar, absolutely nails that tone, or should I say tones, as it is much more than a one trick pony IMO.

Glad you are enjoying yours @Moltisanti  :)

BTW if you want to post that Dr Guitar / Budda Guedes video on EQing the L
    oneStar into the thread here, I think it would have a natural home with what is quite a large and interested audience.  (My Googling 'Andy Timmons sound' a while back found this thread high on page one !)  It would also get Budda Guedes YT out there a bit more as well.

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    Good shout Chris, here's the Lonestar video

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2369
    I thought I would post this here, a really great version of Electric Gypsy...

That really is one of the best versions I've seen. So many great phrases in there. Thanks for posting
    edited March 2017
    It's an excellent performance, he really does have some exquisite phrasing there @hubobulous ;;

Thanks for posting the review @Moltisanti ;;

Lots more amp reviews and more on Budda Guedes YT channel for anyone interested

And, while we are on the subject of amps and tone, here is a Tim Pierce talking about getting a good amp tone, and good hand / finger tone.  Maybe something to take away from this whatever your playing level ?

Duration 12:37

• AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1702
    I thought I would post this here, a really great version of Electric Gypsy...

Wow!!!!