Schadenfreude...

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sporky said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Sporky said:
    You'd instantly be suspicious of what other borderline-sociopathic tendencies they might have.
    Really?
    I would. OK, that's overstating it a bit, but I am not comfortable with that sort of public showing-off. It works for some people - it very definitely doesn't work for me!

Balls to that. When we got married it was simple; registry office, big piss up with some great food... Cost us under 4K and everyone had a really good time. No stress, no arguments about shoes or dresses or suits or flowers. No arguments about who to invite. No shite pub-rock band playing Sex On Fire for the fifth time in a night.
    Four grand? Lawks. Ours cost about £300, probably less. ;)
    Average price for a wedding these days is getting nearer the 20K mark! My friends paid closer to 6K, and our wedding was way betterer ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cricket bail?
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    Drew_fx said:
    Average price for a wedding these days is getting nearer the 20K mark! My friends paid closer to 6K, and our wedding was way betterer ;)
    Ye gods. Though a chap at work spent about £40k and my cousin's wedding was even more. Frankly I don't get it. Then again, I don't like strangers touching me or large groups of people I don't know, so it's quite possible I'm the odd one out.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I think the problem is one of self image...

You see the film star do the grand gesture type proposal - so that must work... I'll do the same thing.

The thing is, you don't have a crew of 500 people making the moment perfect and an unlimited number of takes, so it's unlikely to ever seem as great - then of course, you're copying someone else's idea, so is that really that romantic... and it's a lot of pressure - in front of these hundreds (or in the case of televised sporting events, millions) of people will you seem like a nice person and say yes, or make whole swathes of the internet call you a bitch?

Not keen on the idea... bleh.

What's wrong with nice quiet moment just the two of you being happy together then asking?
    I proposed to the wife. She said yes, but we never did anything about it. Two years later after a shag, she proposed to me. I was like "awite.." Was quite romantic.
  • Weddings can certainly be expensive but based on experience, cheap compared to my divorce....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    If you want vomit-inducing levels of vulgarity and spectacle, get a load of this proposal....  (don't give up after the initial bit - fast forward if you can't wait..)

Apparently, they're divorced now after only a couple of years.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • I have shot 50+ weddings now and the big extravagant lots a money ones have always involved the bride crying because her day is ruined and the groom having a big arguement with his parents..

I proposed outside a little vietnamese restuarant in Paris we had just eatan in and if I could go back I wouldnt change a thing, married in a registry office which was fine and with the family be in catering it was a marquee and hog roast in my sisters back garden, which I would change if I did it again, marquee and food great but I would change the setting.. again witn the weddings I have shot its country pubs surrounded by fields and the court hotels with excellent grounds that I have enjoyed and would have happily spent money for that.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited August 2013

The original clip: ye gods, why would you propose in a frigging food court? If I was the woman, I'd say no as well, just on the grounds of bad taste.

I proposed after we'd had a special cuddle. :)  The wedding and reception is in an old coaching inn, we've got family and friends coming. It won't cost a fortune and it'll be nice.The main thing is it's what we want, stuff what other people think.

On the other hand my g/f's son is getting married next year. His g/f is being a complete bridezilla about the whole thing; trying to ban children from coming to the ceremony in case they touch her dress and spoil it, changing the reception venue because she didn't think the original one was classy enough (it was the Landmark FFS, which is fricking amazing!), constantly changing the bridesmaids as they fall in and out of favour. Sheesh.

Taking a leaf out of Sporky's book, I'd never marry a woman who made a big deal about kids touching her dress.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Drew_fx said:
    Taking a leaf out of Sporky's book, I'd never marry a woman who made a big deal about me wearing her dresses.
    Fixed.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's weird, because she's normally a really easy going person, but this wedding business has really brought out a side we've never seen before. :-S The latest is, apparently, that she's said children can come to the the reception but not the ceremony. She's sending out a list of local registered childminders with the invites to the couples who have kids. If it applied to me I would be severely tempted to tell her to fuck off and you won't see me or my children at your wedding or the reception, thank you. :x
    People always have one or two things that turn them from easy going people, into complete and utter assholes. I guess for her, she's been having this wet-dream fantasy of a white wedding with loads of trimmings since she was young enough to piss in a potty - and no damn idiot children are going to spoil that for her!

If it were me, I just wouldn't go. I'd take my kids out for ice-cream instead.

I really dislike how a lot of people feel beholden to family and friends in this way. I've even seen people pull the old if you don't come to my engagement party, you cannot come to the wedding - self-interested gutbugs.
    edited August 2013
    Drew_fx said:

If it were me, I just wouldn't go. I'd take my kids out for ice-cream instead.

Quite. What's amazed me even more is the g/f's son won't stand up to bridezilla, as he doesn't mind children there. His best man's  3 y.o. son is being allowed to come along, but only under protest and only on the understanding that he's strictly a pageboy and not a regular guest. (No, I don't understand how this works either). I think the poor bastard is heading to be pussywhipped for the rest of his married life if it starts off like this.
    boogieman said:
    I think the poor bastard is heading to be pussywhipped for the rest of his married life if it starts off like this.
    You'll have to get him to register and post in the "jobs from the wife" thread!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:

It's weird, because she's normally a really easy going person, but this wedding business has really brought out a side we've never seen before. :-S The latest is, apparently, that she's said children can come to the the reception but not the ceremony. She's sending out a list of local registered childminders with the invites to the couples who have kids. If it applied to me I would be severely tempted to tell her to fuck off and you won't see me or my children at your wedding or the reception, thank you. :x

It's your duty to tell him he's marrying a succubus.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited August 2013
    boogieman said:
    It's your duty not to get involved.  I'll bet that you will not get thanked for it - at the very least.

It's your duty to tell him he's marrying a succubus.

Unfortunately he's totally smitten and nothing would put him off. I actually think he already knows he's in for a dog's life with her but perhaps he's a masochist.

And she does have a staggeringly enormous set of lungs on her, so maybe that's enough.

I didn't actually mean it !  Let the silly sod do what he wants.  Stay the fuck out of it - but video the wedding for us so we can all see the bit where her head opens up and the succubus flies out, attacking the congregation.