Ibanez RG550...utterly conflicted.....help.

What's Hot

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I’ve fallen for Jems over the past few months and I mainly play blues rock. The necks are awesome and HSH so versatile. Go for it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23809
    I hate the neck profile, I would never buy one in a million years.... but they're still very cool guitars.  Buy it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Prices for used superstrats are rising as dinosaurs die out and people who were teenagers in the 90s can now afford a MiJ Ibanez, Jackson USA or ESP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    edited September 2019
    Thanks again you lot.

Just spent a couple of hours bonding with a friend's son's Jem Junior, great fun. 
    A bit rough around the edges, but the same vibe and it just felt lovely to play. 

Definitely going for the RG. 
    It's a far better guitar than my ability can justify, but I know it'll make me smile and will encourage me to be a better player. 

Don't drink much, aren't  into flash cars or expensive clothes, the kids have left home and the house is paid for. 
    My only other vice is nice bicycles, but that's pretty much covered now - no desire for any more.

Once again, ta for the advice. 
    This place comes across as knowledgeable, friendly and welcoming. 
    Much appreciated.  

Pete.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just buy the frikin thing and report back!

If all else fails, prices are rising on 80’s MIJ RG’s, so even if you end up unsure, you’ll get your money back. It’s all an adventure. 
  • Actually you could go for an Ibanez S series - which would give you all the playability, equally great locking tremolo, less pointy, super light weight and 22 frets - so the neck pickup will be at the 'octave'.

Mine's up on eBay - and with the current discount voucher POUNDSOFF you'd get another £25 off...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163851004288

Jay
    edited September 2019
    Just assume I've already received it.

Don't  have a Flickr account so imagine a short fat bloke with a huge grey beard and long grey hair, holding a daft  looking purple guitar.

Imagine he can't play for toffee and you're there. 

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well mine is a lovely mahogany colour (shameless plug) but with all the functionality of an RG550 :-))
  • StuobStuob Frets: 36
    I`m seemingly a bit odd as my no1 is a 2015 Les Paul but have recently bought a Tanglewood TSB59 in black.

Liking so far, maybe something to consider at the right price.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7029
    But seriously though, if you don't post a picture after all this prick-teasing there will be blood. We played our part in enabling you. GIVE US THE PAYOFF!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73180
    Just assume I've already received it.

Don't  have a Flickr account so imagine a short fat bloke with a huge grey beard and long grey hair, holding a daft  looking purple guitar.

Imagine he can't play for toffee and you're there.
    Sounds perfectly appropriate to me!

Certainly more fun and less ridiculous than middle-aged accountants in fringed jackets with relic’ed Strats trying to be SRV...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2019
    Purple RG550 ordered. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Purple RG550 ordered.
    Wise man. 
    Can I possibly interest you in some of the fine DiMarzio pickups I have for sale in the parts section?  ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • enjoy your new rg rustyspanner  =)

now you need a bass guitar ;-) 

good to see you here btw :-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hiya! 

At least they don't  seem to change standards on guitars every five minutes.....
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    edited October 2019
    Purple RG550 ordered. 
    Congratulations - excellent choice!

...and yes, you simply have to figure out a way of posting the pics on here ;-)
    edited October 2019
    I'll try.

Tried every Ibanez, Charvel, Jackson and ESP I could find over the last week or so. 

The orange HSH Charvel was lovely, as was the Nita Strauss Ibanez, a genuinely stunning guitar, but the RG just edged it. 

Arrives tomorrow......

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    edited October 2019
    Pink.  Oh wait, that's what I chose.
    Yellow.
    For what it's worth my first RG was the same story... no interest in them whatsoever... picked one up just cos....
    And it was just obvious there and then that this was "my" guitar.
    Enjoy!
  • Just had a browse over to the Ibanez site. Nice looking guitars indeed. Would love to get an RG but my kids haven't left home, the house isn't paid off (almost!), and frankly I'm simply not good enough yet to justify it.

Get some pics up though! =)
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8164
    Grunfeld said:
    Pink.  Oh wait, that's what I chose.
    Yellow.
    For what it's worth my first RG was the same story... no interest in them whatsoever... picked one up just cos....
    And it was just obvious there and then that this was "my" guitar.
    Enjoy!
    Same here. Went into a shop (PMT Birmingham) to buy a Telecaster, player every one they had, and the only one that grabbed me was a Peavey Steve Cropper, but all that gold was far too blingy. Way too expensive too. 

Looked at the second hand section, picked up an Ibanez RG750 for a laugh, within seconds, just knew I had to have it.  It was a bit tired, had been mistreated, played hard and put away wet. But it still had a ton of life left in it, and it played like a dream.  Bought it fora smidge under £300 after an hour haggling, went home with £700 in my pocket and a happy bunny. 

Sold it for a tidy profit about ten years ago. Miss it, but looked odd amongst the Gretsches.....