Ibanez RG550...utterly conflicted.....help.

What's Hot

Comments

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 452
    Interesting thread.

My first quality guitar was an RG770 bought new by me in 1991- wanted a Jem or JS, but didn't have enough money so went for the RG. Absolutely loved it and played it to death for many years til I could afford to start buying other guitars. For the last good few years it's been sat untouched in the corner of the room, but I dusted it off after reading this thread and it was still in tune, still plays brilliantly and sounds superb.

I had written of ever really using it again as I got sick of locking trems and thought it wouldn't look right playing an 80's super Strat complete with sharks tooth inlays in the local pub, but as everyone else has said, the RGs are truly wonderful and versatile guitars.

So much so I'll be using it at our next gig
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Just had a browse over to the Ibanez site. Nice looking guitars indeed. Would love to get an RG but my kids haven't left home, the house isn't paid off (almost!), and frankly I'm simply not good enough yet to justify it.

Get some pics up though! =)
    @Yearofthegoat Get an old Japanese one and you'll be "good enough" to justify anything you like in no time! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLM said:
    Just had a browse over to the Ibanez site. Nice looking guitars indeed. Would love to get an RG but my kids haven't left home, the house isn't paid off (almost!), and frankly I'm simply not good enough yet to justify it.

Get some pics up though! =)
    @Yearofthegoat Get an old Japanese one and you'll be "good enough" to justify anything you like in no time! :)
    I picked up an RG570 with DiMarzio’s and a lo pro edge trem for £350 including an Ibanez moulded hardcase. 
    There are great deals out there on s/h ibbys. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    edited October 2019
    It's arrived.  3

It's delightful.

Well packaged and excellent service from Chris at PMT Salford. 

Long day in work so only had the chance for a quick tune up and an even quicker strum. 

The colour is lovely, a flip-flop purpley blue. 
    The finish is flawless and the build quality is the best I've ever seen - don't  have any American guitars but it's up there with the wife's Japanese Paisley Tele. 

The action is spot on, low and buzz free. 
    Frets are polished and the ends are perfect. 
    Neck relief doesn't need tweaking and the satin finish on the back is very smooth indeed. 

Only played it clean,  straight into a Fender Champ 600 but I don't  think I'll be changing the pickups.  The neck pickup in particular is remarkable into the little tube amp, a very rich, complex clean tone which I can't  see myself getting bored of anytime soon. 

I'm almost scared to play it, it's  that nice.  

Shopping for a strap (pink or green?) and case tomorrow, jamming with mates on Sunday and off Monday as well, so plenty of time to find out how the bridge works!

Once again, thanks everyone. 
    I'm absolutely delighted with it. 
    Will post some pictures over the weekend. 

Regards,
    Pete. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    Brilliant.  Congrats!

:)
  • Nice one. 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2047
    don't  trust Bigsbys

Bit late to the party here but...

Pitchforks!
  • Excellent news, congratulations! Orange strap, I reckon :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Nice one. Totes jelly, as I believe the kidz were saying probably a couple of years ago.  B)

Neon yellow Dimarzio cliplock.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    edited October 2019
    Local guitar shop (the excellent Pro Solo) in Burnley had an old Ibanez hard case in for £55 - needs some feet riveting on and a good clean, but delighted with it - perfect fit. Not sure of the model but was obviously designed for an RG. 

Went for a black strap - I know, but it really suits the guitar. 

Just back from a jam with mates and very happy. 

I've avoided flatter, narrower necks until now, but I've bonded with this one. Don't  find it harder to play chords than my vintage fretted and radiused Squier and granddad blues are a cinch. 

Worked out how the  bridge works, stable considering new strings. 

I'm most surprised about the tones available.
    Obviously it does the very metal thing (In the hands of someone who knows what they're doing) but the cleans are just crazy. The switching is clever, does the Stratty thing in 2 & 4, but there is a slight volume drop. Might raise the single coil a smidge. 

I know we tend to idolise designs from 50 years ago and even this is a replica of a 30 odd year old guitar, but if this is the modern world I'm quite interested to learn more.

And as to charisma, character and authenticity, I genuinely can't  say I'm arsed. 
    I like Fender and Gibson style guitars, but  I think this has proved (to me, before the pitchforks come out!) that all  styles of guitars can have soul. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Indeed, the middle single coil on its own or “in between” covers most vintage tone applications surprisingly well.

2 downsides of this style though, as I’ve found with my Jem.

1) As alluded to in another recent thread the Floyd Rose will pull double stop bends out of tune, so not great for said vintage applications.

2) You have to have some serious chops to pull off the “look” if playing in front of people! If I was in a band I’d likely reach for my strat or tele first for that reason alone.

Great, versatile guitars though.
  • TINMAN82 said:
    Indeed, the middle single coil on its own or “in between” covers most vintage tone applications surprisingly well.

1) As alluded to in another recent thread the Floyd Rose will pull double stop bends out of tune, so not great for said vintage applications.

2) You have to have some serious chops to pull off the “look” if playing in front of people! If I was in a band I’d likely reach for my strat or tele first for that reason alone.

You dont need serious chops to pull off playing a RG.
    I used one in various indie/jazz/funk bands.

There is a lot of preconceived bullshit on here about needing guitar X to play style X. It's an instrument that responds to the players choice. If you want to strum cowboy chords it's your choice, the guitar doesnt dictate anything
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • And not all RGs make you look like a hair metal wannabe. 

Although the more understated ones may be harder to find.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    Mine looks like this - relatively understated in the RG world.....

• NelsonP said:
    Mine looks like this - relatively understated in the RG world.....

I had one similar to that. White pickups though, and possibly dot inlays rather than the sharkfin things. Was a great guitar; my friend has it now and I've tried to buy it back from him a couple of times but he won't sell it
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited October 2019
    TINMAN82 said:

There is a lot of preconceived bullshit on here about needing guitar X to play style X. It's an instrument that responds to the players choice. If you want to strum cowboy chords it's your choice, the guitar doesnt dictate anything
    Apologies to the OP if my comment came across as disparaging. I have a Jem (which I’ve recently been learning various Cream tunes on as blues-rock is my thing) so I have some insight. 

However I don’t think it’s that far off the mark to suggest that the pointy guitar/Floyd Rose aesthetic gives off a certain vibe, irrespective of the fact you can play anything on anything.
  • TINMAN82 said:

However I don’t think it’s that far off the mark to suggest that the pointy guitar/Floyd Rose aesthetic gives off a certain vibe, irrespective of the fact you can play anything on anything.
    In fairness, 'pulling off the look' is part of the reason I don't have a Jackson RR. And I generally don't care what people think about what I'm playing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82 said:
    TINMAN82 said:

Apologies to the OP if my comment came across as disparaging. I have a Jem (which I’ve recently been learning various Cream tunes on as blues-rock is my thing) so I have some insight. 

Are RG’s pointy? 
    I’ve never thought of them as such, it’s surely a more conservative shape than the V or Jaguar? 
  • Still waiting for the pics....

• Still haven't got a photo account!

What's the flavour of choice around here?