Ibanez RG550...utterly conflicted.....help.

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• DavusPG said:
    Interesting thread.

My first quality guitar was an RG770 bought new by me in 1991- wanted a Jem or JS, but didn't have enough money so went for the RG. Absolutely loved it and played it to death for many years til I could afford to start buying other guitars. For the last good few years it's been sat untouched in the corner of the room, but I dusted it off after reading this thread and it was still in tune, still plays brilliantly and sounds superb.

I had written of ever really using it again as I got sick of locking trems and thought it wouldn't look right playing an 80's super Strat complete with sharks tooth inlays in the local pub, but as everyone else has said, the RGs are truly wonderful and versatile guitars.

So much so I'll be using it at our next gig
    Totally get this post.. my second quality guitar was my RG570EX and I got it for the same reason - I couldn't afford a Jem or JS then (GAS meant I still ended up getting them later when I could...).

I really needed the Edge bridge to attempt playing their material with the pull ups on the bar etc. The Ibanez RG is a real work horse though and I was still playing it the most for many years. It wasn't bad stock but I eventually upgraded the bridge pickup to an Evolution and got a sustainer installed. It still plays great and is in good condition except for the plating wearing off on the bridge. I know they don't fetch much used but I'd never really sell it anyway.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xDaigaijinxDaigaijin Frets: 61
    Buy it, have a complex love/hate/guilt/regret relationship, the sell it to me! The RGs were revolutionary and their descendants are just amazing some are works of art all are superbly playable and can be whatever you need them to be. I'm a fan BTW
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited June 2020
    Due to unforseen circumstances, I may be in the position to buy a new guitar. 
    Only ever owned cheapies, so time to scratch an itch.
    Self imposed  limit of a grand. 

Love my  Squier Tele Custom II and Vintage SG copy.
    Have a nice acoustic and Mrs Spanner  has a cracking  Japanese Paisley Tele and a stunning Faith electro so most bases covered there.
    Not my fault she didn't  read the vows properly. 

Trip to Salford to pay for the new kitchen. 
    PMT just round the corner, be rude not to pop in........

I'd convinced myself I needed something 335 ish. 
    Love listening to other people play them,  but every one I tried including an achingly beautiful blue  Ibanez AS83 just left me cold. 
    Nowt happening at all. Not even a twitch. 
    Ah, well, I'll try something different. 

G&L Legacy sounded like I'd left my earplugs in. 
    Gretsch? Didn't like the finish and don't  trust Bigsbys.
    Only Fender that gives me the shivers is the Player HSH Strat in Buttercream, which they didn't  have in.

Love a Firebird but £1500 is a bit salty. 

Ooh, Ibanez. Might as well see what all the fuss is about, even though I spent most of the 80's laughing at people in Spandex. 

Tried a Japanese RG550  Genesis. Oh god, it's wonderful.
    The neck was a revelation, the Edge trem was so much fun and despite not being a fan of 80's rock it sounded wonderful through an Orange Crush. 
    Versatile, but intriguingly different.
    Flawless build.

However, I have a prejudice against Basswood, hate pointy guitars and shredding is something I do to lettuce. 

I'm 50. 
    Only 2 guitars have made me feel like this and I bought both of them. 

Some questions.

1. Anything else ugly, tasteless but fun you'd recommend for under a grand?
    2. I'm doomed, aren't  I?
    2. Purple or Yellow?

Thanks in advance.
    Yellow or red IMO, purple just doesn't say '80s to me. I just turned 51 and was lusting after an RG550. I ended up with one of the new Charvel DK24 tele-types, but it was a close call.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Feck it, too late. :) The flip-flop does look good in photos, it was my wife's choice of colour when I asked. Daughter preferred something day-glo.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 237
    After reading this post last year i took a punt on a 1997 Japanese made RG507 on ebay. Paid £220 for the guitar and it was in great condition. Did a good few gigs with it without issue but at home i was always checking my tuner and it could be a bit flat/sharp. As i dont pull up on the trem i fitted new springs and a trem stopper. It now stays in tune 100%

Its def the odd one out in my collection but its a keeper
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7434
    I bought a ridiculous RG the other year. I'll go take a photo...
  • Joe123Joe123 Frets: 8
    I know this is a bit late ..but I also want to say: RG genesis rock!! I have the purple one...Don't know what they do with their V pickups, but they are somehow better than the old V pickups ,which had a pretty bad reputation back then..but the newer ones are just great..a bit glassy like a strat, even with their humbuckers.. although I couldn't get it thicker than the Iron Label series (bareknuckles pickups etc). But I never intended this guitar for Modern heavy metal anyway...mostly for classic rocks and shred-type musics.
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    Hiya.  
    Nice to read about all the RG love out there.  :)

Just a quick update:

Still playing the RG550 as much as possible and it continues to amaze me. 
    I don't think I'm going to find anything as versatile at any price -  I'm still getting new tones out of it, just crazy. 

It's remains wonderfully comfortable and easy to play, even for a klutz like me. 

One issue.
    I think it might have ruined other guitars for me.  
    I fancy something Stratty and pre lockdown tried lots of options. The only things that came close quality wise were a Gordon Smith S type,  a Fender 60's model and a G&L Deluxe, all considerably pricier than the Ibanez. 
    Not tried a Prestige AZ yet, but again, twice the price. 

If you have the slightest inclination to try something different and possess an open mind, I cannot recommend this guitar highly enough. 

Love to all. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom