What is similar to DSL40 but higher quality?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    p90fool said:
    Funnily enough, someone offered me a fully working DSL401 yesterday for £120, so I looked at the schematic online and turned him down. 

I don't need that nonsense in my life, no wonder they keep breaking!
    They’re actually not that unreliable once you take care of the overheating filament rectifier, master volume pot breaking the bias supply path, overly hot bias, inadequate ventilation and flimsy speaker connections...

;)

... but I do understand entirely where you’re coming from :). And I’ve still seen a couple of issues with the complex channel switching routing. You’re right that it’s not likely to be an easily long-term repairable amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Lebarque said:
    @Lebarque ;
    Pah, I wev rrrudly in the jeneral derection of yore 16 watts .
    Is that English?

Possibly some reference to Monty Python???

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:
    Funnily enough, someone offered me a fully working DSL401 yesterday for £120, so I looked at the schematic online and turned him down. 

I don't need that nonsense in my life, no wonder they keep breaking!
    They’re actually not that unreliable once you take care of the overheating filament rectifier, master volume pot breaking the bias supply path, overly hot bias, inadequate ventilation and flimsy speaker connections...

;)

... but I do understand entirely where you’re coming from :). And I’ve still seen a couple of issues with the complex channel switching routing. You’re right that it’s not likely to be an easily long-term repairable amp.
    I was actually going to take it on as a project by curing some of those issues before they arise, but because of where I live I would've probably spent a week researching and fixing it, then only get £140 at the end. 
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    TTBZ said:
    The silver jubilee night gave that good awful sloppy slash tone. 

This was exactly my point, it does way more than just that nasal fizzy sort of tone the premier guitar demo shows off some nice tones from the combo. I use it for a thick mid gain rock tone on the lead channel, best tone I’ve ever had from an amp.
    Has Slash ever recorded with a Jubilee? Appetite was pre-Jubilee, Use Your Illusions weren't Jubilees in the studio, just on tour. 

Point is, if you don't like the tones on GnR albums, fine, but that's not a Jubilee!
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The dsl40cr does it all in paper.  Multiple voicing,  cleans,  crunch,  filthy,  reverb,  decent eq, dual master volume,  fx loop,  etc Good price.  Great tone especially with a neo creamback.  Nothing really wrong with mine.  Makes me sound great.   Just wondering what the next level up was. 
    Surprised no-ones mentioned a JVM, a 1x12 215c or a 2x12 205c.  Very similar to a DSL, but a step up in quality
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    John_A said:

Surprised no-ones mentioned a JVM, a 1x12 215c or a 2x12 205c.  Very similar to a DSL, but a step up in quality
    2nd post :).

And yes, they are a significant step up in both build and sound quality.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    The prs archon 50w combo look and sound tasty. 
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1334
    Another vote for the JVM215c. Not much more expensive than the DSL used, either.
    ICBM said:
    John_A said:

2nd post :).

And yes, they are a significant step up in both build and sound quality.
    Better late than never :)

Archon is VERY different, great amp, but I know, for me a Marshall is ‘home’ and nothing else, no matter how good really works as well.

JVMs are great amps
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    The Mesa Express is a great sounding compact amp, well worth a try. 
    And whoever said Rivera amps are sterile needs to clean his ears out!
    The Pubster / Clubster / Chubster amps blow marshalls out of the water, different league to the crappy dsl
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited May 2021
    Friedman Runt 50? Maybe just upgrade the speaker of your DSL to a creamback or v30?

Edit: just realised this thread was started in 2019!
    Yes, think there was a bit of a necro bump back there. 
    Yes, think there was a bit of a necro bump back there. 
    So did you get a new amp?
    Mine has a neo creamback in it and when combined with  v30 extension sounds mint live.  I still use it more,  with lock down there were no gigs and no need to change.  Still thinking about upgrade path though.  Combo options shortlisted include

Freedman smallbox 50
    Prs archon 50
    Marshal jvm 215c
    Tough choice, PRS is a bit more metal compared to the other 2.  I’d still go JVM for great tone and superb versatility 
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    Kalimna said:
    Lebarque said:
    @Lebarque ;
    Pah, I wev rrrudly in the jeneral derection of yore 16 watts .
    Is that English?

Possibly some reference to Monty Python???

I'd say definitely.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom