Those Grolsch type strap washers......

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9825
    thegummy said:
    Sassafras said:
    Either those or those cheap plastic Dunlop clip locks.
    I had those and they fell apart!
    I had one fall apart whilst playing my Tele. Fortunately I was quick enough to catch the guitar before it hit the floor. Have never trusted them since.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    For all you recovering alcoholics, you can buy the washers from any home-brew outfit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73037
    Odd that some of you have had the Dunlop rotary ones fall apart. I've been using them for years and never have - I also tested one to destruction once, using a strap button screwed to a plank of wood and an old very thick leather strap... I stood on the plank and pulled up on the strap - it did eventually break, but only when I was pulling with enough force that I'm pretty sure it would have lifted my Mesa Trem-o-verb (which weighed 98lb) off the ground. Maybe they vary in quality.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Any tips for getting the Grolsch style ones on and off?

I find it quite annoying, kind of hurts the fingers slightly trying to pry them off. Using a screwdriver helps. Any better tips?
    I’ve always found they come off very easily with fingers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1398
    thegummy said:

I find it quite annoying, kind of hurts the fingers slightly trying to pry them off. Using a screwdriver helps. Any better tips?
    teeth
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19365
    Chipped my nail varnish & caused frightful chafing...
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited October 2019
    Decent buttons and strap shouldn't come off.
    My strap is quite hard to get off when I'm trying. I did put a bigger button on the front of my Gibson as the originals were tiny.

In fact there wouldn't be enough room to fit anything else. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    thegummy said:

One asks one's butler.

He even pours the beer for one beforehand, so one never has to sully one's hands on a dirty bottle.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    thegummy said:

Wait. You mean you don't employ a guitar monkey to do these jobs for you?
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    edited October 2019
    My strap is quite hard to get off when I'm trying. I did put a bigger button on the front of my Gibson as the originals were tiny.

The problem guitar is an LAG T90A acoustic with a soft leather Stagg strap. 

The buttons are quite small and the leather strap ends have frayed and enlarged a little. It's  hard to get the frayed bit to fully seat behind the button.

The strap came off the front heel button last night but luckily I don't  think there's much damage. Cant find any, despite a sickening clunk when it hit a wooden chair. 

My wife has bought me a similar (Levy's) strap for my new RG550, but that has considerably larger buttons. No way I'm risking the same thing happening with that guitar. 

The Stagg was  a Christmas present last year so I'm loath to bin it if I can find a solution.  It's  only been removed a couple of times for adjustment.

The harder leather/plastic ended straps I've used in the past have always been very secure so I'm new to this kind of thing. 

Ta for all the advice. 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19365
    I would try the simple but effective Dunlop nylon or rubber washer/pop bottle/Grolsch solution first if possible, as a purely cost effective thing, before spending any money.
    If you can't find any suitable solutions that feel right for you & you prefer a metal Schaller Straplock type thing, drop me a line & I'll see if I have some spares you can have (for free, but a donation to the FB is required). Cheers.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825

The problem guitar is an LAG T90A acoustic with a soft leather Stagg strap. 

The buttons are quite small and the leather strap ends have frayed and enlarged a little. It's  hard to get the frayed bit to fully seat behind the button.

The strap came off the front heel button last night but luckily I don't  think there's much damage. Cant find any, despite a sickening clunk when it hit a wooden chair. 

My wife has bought me a similar (Levy's) strap for my new RG550, but that has considerably larger buttons. No way I'm risking the same thing happening with that guitar. 

The Stagg was  a Christmas present last year so I'm loath to bin it if I can find a solution.  It's  only been removed a couple of times for adjustment.

The harder leather/plastic ended straps I've used in the past have always been very secure so I'm new to this kind of thing. 

Ta for all the advice. 

Ah ok.

If you can't get anything to fit you could always cut one out of a piece of rubber or soft plastic or something. 
  • @RustySpanner - I got a pack of rubber washers from Amazon; more than I have guitars for.  PM me your address and I'll pop a couple in the post.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    edited October 2019
    Kittyfrisk, once again, that's  a lovely offer, thank you. 

I'm slowly coming round to the idea that the soft leather padded straps whilst comfortable, are an inherently poor design. 

If I don't feel confident after fitting the washers, I'll bin the offending straps and go back to harder leather or plastic ended alternatives. 

Happy to make a donation to this place either way.
    Only picked up the guitar again last year after a long layoff - a friend's son had a long stay in hospital and took up the guitar as a form of therapy. Subsequently, my wife has also started learning. 

I've bought three new guitars and changed my amp in the past 18 months. Mostly your fault. 

This place has been most helpful and very friendly. 
    Turns out I know a couple of very decent  people on here from a cycling forum I frequent, which has only enhanced my appreciation of the place. 

Once again, thanks everyone. 

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I use the Grolsch strap locks on the most prized guitar in my possession, so that shows how much I trust them.

If I don't feel confident after fitting the washers, I'll bin the offending straps and go back to harder leather or plastic ended alternatives.
    That sounds like a waste of some nice straps when there is a simple solution...

Try the Dunlop rotary locks, they’re only a couple of pounds. I’ve been using them on my gigging instruments for years with Levy’s straps, including a couple of quite valuable vintage Rickenbackers with the original tiny strap buttons, and they’re completely secure.

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2425
    I use the Dunlop ones too. Good solution
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    Whether they work or not is secondary to the refreshing pleasure derived from amassing one's collection.

*burp*
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom