Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Most versatile guitar for pub rock covers band?

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    Jalapeno said:
    I agreed with the Yamaha 611 idea as it was a means to an end without spending silly money (personally I get the HB/P90 version).

But any of the £500 or so suggestions would be good alternatives.
    Ibanez RG/S5/AS (AS73 for semiacoustic goodness)
    PRS SE (singlecut or ordinary)
    Tele
    Jaguar/Jazzmaster/Offset Tele

Any of these. Use it for rehearsals. The turn up at the first gig with a Strat as backup, and play the backup all evening. I hate bullying behaviour.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    munckee said:
    I sold this to Andy, its got great quality bits and is versatile for this sort of thing.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/164384/fs-ft-partscaster-telecaster-usa-body-price-drop-500#latest
    This +1  - looks awesome. Depends how hot you want the bridge
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    munckee said:
    I sold this to Andy, its got great quality bits and is versatile for this sort of thing.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/164384/fs-ft-partscaster-telecaster-usa-body-price-drop-500#latest
    This +1  - looks awesome. Depends how hot you want the bridge
  • ColsCols Frets: 7273
    Red Special - amazingly versatile, not just a Queen covers guitar.

But yeah - I’ve never had any band mates dictating guitar choice to me, even if they might express a preference.  I’d establish yourself in the area and make a break for it as soon as an alternative comes up.  Sounds like the kind of ultra-controlling band leader that gives no-one else any kind of say.
  • Buy a guitar you like playing and is comfortable stood up with for 2+ hours

Humbuckers, single coils and all that really doesnt matter at all in a pub cover band
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Bear in mind that the Yamahas often have a notoriously narrow neck. It doesn't agree with everyone. 

Have you considered a shiflett Tele or a blacktop strat? Either would have the familiar fender scale, but a bit more "oomph" than single coils. 

If you want to go REALLY cheap a Trohman Tele is HSH & had a wonderful neck. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16373
    Oh FFS buy this and take temptation out of my way: humbucker at neck, single at bridge, built in boost...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/164491/price-drop-sterling-by-music-man-jv60-valentine-450#latest
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    Definitely a telecaster so you can twat the cunt round the head with it when the time is right.  =)
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Sassafras said:
    I can understand what the bassist means. I mean we all remember how rubbish Hendrix sounded in a 3 piece band with his puny, weak arse Stratocaster.
    And how Blackmore completely failed to be heard against the bass and overdriven Hammond with his...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I used to play in a band where the other guitarist would make these funny faces if I played anything other than my Les Paul and kept going on about the guitars ‘working together’ oddly this only seemed to apply to me playing other guitars, as he kept chopping and changing all over the place. 

Leaving that band was one of my better decisions. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23582
    Oh FFS buy this and take temptation out of my way: humbucker at neck, single at bridge, built in boost...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/164491/price-drop-sterling-by-music-man-jv60-valentine-450#latest
    Off topic, but blimey isn't that nice for the "budget" version of the infinitely more expensive US model?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bit of an odd rule! Bassists are weird.

Anyway, in order of preference given the requirements and apparent style of the band

- SG with lowish output PAFs, but preferably P90s, with good 500k pots. Should cover  everything from relatively sparkly clean to all-out rock. Will look proper rawk too.

- telecaster with single in the neck, higher output bridge

- assuming a strat shape is OK - Charvel all day. SoCal or San Dimas, especially as the newer ones have splits.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 916
    To be honest, I can't believe you're contemplating buying a guitar, just to get into this guy's good books.
    Fair enough if he expresses a preference for one of the guitars you already own, but if he wants Les Paul sounds he should bloody well stump up and buy one for you to play! Then he can pass it on to the next victim once you've left for better things...
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Something with both single coils and a humbucker you can split so you can explore all tonal options.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    PC_Dave said:
    Nikc said:
    I think I'd go PRS 22 custom - Or a tele in fact I'd just use my tele ;)
    Quite considerably out of my budget, the first one....

Tele-wise, what would you suggest I look at?

Opps I did mean an SE ;))

As far as a tele goes I've got a MIM standard with SD quarter pounder at the bridge - it really is a great guitar and a joy to play. It had a decent setup and has been my main electric ever since I was received it, no GAS in my household at all ;)

I've played plenty of other tele's baja reissued 52's and the like I rate mine up with them all if not above.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7203
    I haven't read all the replies.

But I'd choose aTelecaster everyday. It is my go to pub rock guitar and it doubles up as a weapon.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    This reminds me of a band I joined in the early ‘90s. At that particular time I had a Musicman HD130 amp but the band leader (singer) decided I should use a Fender amp “coz they’re the best”. He just happened to have a Fender Twin with JBLs at home (heaven knows why as he didn’t play guitar). The Musicman was banned and I had to use the Twin. Admittedly a nice amp but heavier than fucking Jupiter. I didn’t see the bastard offering to carry it up flights of stairs at any time. I didn’t stay long. 
  • I'd tell the bass player to go shag himself in the arse and play the Strat.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16373
    Philly_Q said:

Off topic, but blimey isn't that nice for the "budget" version of the infinitely more expensive US model?
    The one I played was really nice and the one for sale here is the better looking finish. For my money more comfortable than a traditional Tele shape and better upper fret access. For the purposes of the OP here I’d treat the boost as Rock and Not Rock...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.