Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Most versatile guitar for pub rock covers band?

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    A Nashville Tele ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    Thank you all for the helpful replies - So far i'm getting the gist that it will be:

A Tele (particular model tbc, but i'm looking at Bluesy Dave's Roadworn)
    A Yammie 611
    Some form of Charvel (not massively keen, tbh)

This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    TTBZ said:
    Schecter PT would do the job and look much cooler than a Fender
    I’ve never seen a Schecter that looks cooler than a Telecaster made by Fender. Or any guitar for that matter. ;)
    Is a Fender headstock label cool?? I guess that’s a matter of opinion.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2225
    edited October 2019
    PC_Dave said:
    Thank you all for the helpful replies - So far i'm getting the gist that it will be:

A Yammie 611

If you're thinking of using fairy high gain tones then humbuckers (or noise cancelling single coil pickups) might be a good idea. I've had occasional problems in some venues with noise from single coil the pickups. At least with my HSS Stat I've got an S1 switch that puts the neck pickup in series humbucking mode with the middle pickup, in the event that I get problems with the single coil neck pickup alone.

But this is possibly not a problem if you don't plan on using high gain tones or a compressor.

It's not a competition.
    PC_Dave said:

A Yammie 611

If you're thinking of using fairy high gain tones then humbuckers might be a good idea. I've had occasional problems in some venues with noise from single coil the pickups. At least with my HSS Stat I've got an S1 switch that puts the neck pickup in humbucking mode with the middle pickup, in the event that I get problems with the single coil neck pickup alone.

But this is possibly not a problem if you don't plan on using high gain tones or a compressor.

I would say heavy overdrive, but not Teh Metalz tonez - AC/DC being the most heavy.
  • Have you tried looking for a different band? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3427
    Shiflett Tele 
    Tele Custom
    Baja Tele
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    What about a EBMM Luke (the older 2) - you might be able to get one within budget if you are OK with the standard Luke Blue affair.

HSS, EMG, Trem, insanely good neck - what more do you need?
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited October 2019
    First of all - nobody determines what I play for a gig!
    You can get a lot of sounds out of a strat - especially HSS!

Anyway - I do Elvis and Beatles thru to Bon Jovi and ACDC, 2 teles, one with TV Jones and one with Thornbuckers - can use either for a full gig - it's more about controlling the vol/tone pickup selection and then a few decent pedals (I use Helix but still in a fairly simple set up)

Also, maybe do a rehearsal with a strat and see if you can change his mind - like others have said, he maybe had a guy who used one badly or had a weedy sound and he just has a bias towards them now

• In my professional session days I used a Gibson SG with P90's and a Telecaster. That covered all the bases I was likely to need. It's good to be flexible and to be in a position to offer your client a variety of different tonal colours. 

But this is some arsehole telling you what to do and unless he's paying session prices then there is a clear, if nuanced, distinction.

Frankly no one in the audience is going to care if you play Get Lucky on a PRS or Summer of 69 on a Parker Fly. Buy a guitar that you like. 
    In my professional session days I used a Gibson SG with P90's and a Telecaster. That covered all the bases I was likely to need. It's good to be flexible and to be in a position to offer your client a variety of different tonal colours. 

But this is some arsehole telling you what to do and unless he's paying session prices then there is a clear, if nuanced, distinction.

Frankly no one in the audience is going to care if you play Get Lucky on a PRS or Summer of 69 on a Parker Fly. Buy a guitar that you like. 

Ok, maybe some clarification is required on this.... What I should have asked is "What is the most versatile guitar for a pub rock band that isn't a Strat" and left it at that.

Yes, they guy is a dick. No, i'm not taking his demands seriously - If I want to play a strat, i'll play my strat (makes no odds really, I make all guitars sound shit). Yes, I will jump ship as soon as I establish myself as a gigging musician round here.

I was asking for advice and opinions on what guitars to look at that I might like. I have to sell an amazing guitar, and I need to replace it with something that isn't as expensive, but can be as versatile.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I can understand someone saying don't turn up with a dayglo pink Ibanez, but to rule out all strats is mental. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3611
    Just to aggravate him get an Epiphone 335.

Otherwise get a Tele thats been 'Nashvilled' with the third PU. A minbucker in the neck would be nice.
    axisus said:
    I can understand someone saying don't turn up with a dayglo pink Ibanez, but to rule out all strats is mental. 
    Please read the post literally one above yours:
    PC_Dave said:

Ok, maybe some clarification is required on this.... What I should have asked is "What is the most versatile guitar for a pub rock band that isn't a Strat" and left it at that.

Yes, they guy is a dick. No, i'm not taking his demands seriously - If I want to play a strat, i'll play my strat (makes no odds really, I make all guitars sound shit). Yes, I will jump ship as soon as I establish myself as a gigging musician round here.

I was asking for advice and opinions on what guitars to look at that I might like. I have to sell an amazing guitar, and I need to replace it with something that isn't as expensive, but can be as versatile.

How about an HSS strat ;-)
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    Jimbro66 said:
    TTBZ said:
    I’ve never seen a Schecter that looks cooler than a Telecaster made by Fender. Or any guitar for that matter. ;)
    Yea it is. As is the shape of the headstock, the body, the bridge. 

Play authentic. Anything else is pure imitation. ;)
  • Jimbro66 said:
    TTBZ said:
    Yea it is. As is the shape of the headstock, the body, the bridge. 

Play authentic. Anything else is pure imitation. ;)
    Teles with Strat headstocks are the coolest ;)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    There's a used PRS CE22 on e-Bay for £750.
  • The new eve 5150 has 22 frets ,di e only trem
    edited October 2019
    Just take one of these along to rehearsal.
    Open the case, let him see it, quickly close it again, then say "oops, wrong one". Then get the strat out.

That should shut him up.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom