Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's the worst film you ever paid to see at the cinema, and did you walk out?

What's Hot

Comments

• Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Can't remember the name of it but it was an arthousr Japanese film, the most violent and brutal film I've ever seen. The opening scene was of a woman getting raped and slapped about. I left within 15 mins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28356
    Sassafras said:
    axisus said:
    beed84 said:
    To be honest, I’m surprised you walked in. Having said that I could say the same about Batman vs Superman. Absolutely abysmal.
    I haven't seen Batman vs Superman but it seems like the most pointless one sided match up ever. 
    Unless Batman's wearing kryptonite knuckledusters.
    er ..... but you know that Superman has super speed, and can move so fast that batman is effectively a statue, and one flick of a finger would kill any human instantly? he could also just fly overhead and destroy Batman with laser vision. Batman's superpower is the ability to pull on a latex suit and drive a fancy car.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is funny, watching people argue about a film they haven't seen.

Supes didn't want to kill Batman. But Batman did want to kill Supes. And he had ways of trying to do that thanks to research into Kyrptonite. 

If you've ever read Frank Miller's The Dark Knight it's pretty much the same sequence. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I find it difficult to believe that you've all sat happily in rapt attention whilst watching "Last Year in Marienbad" ;)
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Still not a clue what it’s about, perhaps it was just too clever for me. Didn’t walk out but some others did...we should have too. Utter tosh.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3093
    Am I the only one who looks up movies in advance to see if they're any good? 

I tend to go by what Mark Kermode says.... if he says it’s good, then it almost certainly is.    I have found that if he says a movie is rubbish, it doesn’t necessarily mean it is, though. 
    RobDavies said:
    Am I the only one who looks up movies in advance to see if they're any good? 

I tend to go by what Mark Kermode says.... if he says it’s good, then it almost certainly is.    I have found that if he says a movie is rubbish, it doesn’t necessarily mean it is, though. 
    I love Mark Kermode, he's such a funny guy when he hates something!

The trouble with all reviewers though, is that they insist on remaining po faced over certain types of film. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73456
    axisus said:
    RobDavies said:

The trouble with all reviewers though, is that they insist on remaining po faced over certain types of film. 
    He does generally seem to be pretty accurate - and very funny when he's demolishing some utter tripe - although he likes a fair bit of stuff I wouldn't as well... some types of horror especially. Which isn't to say it's bad, just not for me. I've also liked a few that he dismissed, but not many.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The unbearable shiteness of being, it really was unbearable, but partner at the time liked it so I stayed. It was like a pseuds version of confessions of a window cleaner.
    Wild at heart, I suspect if this had been made by a different director it would be on the all time shitty list. Same partner & I walked.
    Also seen & walked out of some pretentious cak at the film festival, I don't remember the names or anything much else about them. Though I probably paid over the odds for the privilege so the joke's on me.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2957
    Really? Bladerunner 2049? Requiem For a Dream? Interstellar? You might not like them but they're definitely far from shit.

Saying that, I nearly walked out of The Revenant. I was enjoying it but it was at least an hour and a half too long. I was relieved to see the credits.
  • Stuckfast said:
    I can't remember what it was called but it starred Jeremy Irons, who started a steamy affair with Juliette Binoche, who was supposed to be his son's partner. It was utterly shit, to the point where everyone in the cinema was howling with laughter at the bits that were supposed to smoulder with sexual tension.
    “Damage”, and I seem remember having a similar reaction. The only thing I liked about it was her beautiful apartment at the beginning.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    markr76 said:
    Natural born killers was the closest I’ve ever been to walking out the cinema. I stayed, but more than half the cinema got up and left. 
    The only thing I’ve ever walked out of was Joe Bonamassa at the arena in Nottingham. It was terrible!!
    NBK is one of my all time favourites. There must've been a bad smell permeating around the cinema or those people were lily livered fannies.

Never left a movie but the closest I came was when I watched Get Smart (Steve Carell, Ann Hathaway, The Rock etc).
    Also saw Jackass the movie when I was in my very late teens. It's a bucket of shite but me and my mate were off our heads on god-knows-what so found it hilarious. Probably the best way.
  • ICBM said:
    axisus said:
    RobDavies said:

He does generally seem to be pretty accurate - and very funny when he's demolishing some utter tripe - although he likes a fair bit of stuff I wouldn't as well... some types of horror especially. Which isn't to say it's bad, just not for me. I've also liked a few that he dismissed, but not many.
    I like Kermode, he usually has an interesting take on a film rather than just good/bad. My take on professional critics ( of anything really) is that they are so over saturated with what they see that they are only really interested in things that are outside the norm or are exceptional in some way whereas us non film buffs just want something 'safe.' They can find it difficult to reset their critical facilities for what 'normal' people might like, although Kermode gives this some sort of a go.   

I was trying to think of other unhappy cinema going experiences. I think Avatar is up there - not only is it overly long and very silly but the amazing 3D element seemed to bring in a family audience so the showing I went to was essentially several large groups of people trying to manage children's picnics in a cinema with the film really just as background. Much as I'm usually annoyed by behaviour in the cinema that's anything other than quiet and reverential in this case the screaming kids made a useful distraction from the awfulness of the film. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    My take on professional critics ( of anything really) is that they are so over saturated with what they see that they are only really interested in things that are outside the norm or are exceptional in some way whereas us non film buffs just want something 'safe.' They can find it difficult to reset their critical facilities for what 'normal' people might like, although Kermode gives this some sort of a go.   

That's pretty much what I meant to say! You managed to apply intelligence and I didn't!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12676
    Walked out of the recent power rangers movie, my autistic son was a massive fan of the series but the film was much darker, I could see he was terrified after a couple of minutes. 

I asked if we should come back when we braver and he agreed so we left after about 15 minutes.

Worst cinema experience was watching Blair Witch when a bloke at the front pulled out a baton he had hidden in a trench coat and tw4tted a random stranger round the head.

Watched Ravenous with Guy Pearce while really drunk and had no idea what was going on.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24102
    I find it difficult to believe that you've all sat happily in rapt attention whilst watching "Last Year in Marienbad" ;)
    I have, it's a wonderful film.  However, I do find watching it with subtitles distracting - although subs never bother me in anything else - but my French isn't good enough to understand the dialogue without subs.
    EricTheWeary said:

I like Kermode, he usually has an interesting take on a film rather than just good/bad. My take on professional critics ( of anything really) is that they are so over saturated with what they see that they are only really interested in things that are outside the norm or are exceptional in some way whereas us non film buffs just want something 'safe.' They can find it difficult to reset their critical facilities for what 'normal' people might like, although Kermode gives this some sort of a go.
    This is what I particularly like about Kermode - he isn't afraid to watch mass-market stuff and put as much thought into reviewing it as he would for something arty - even if it means finding hilariously accurate ways of describing *why* something is shit. He's unafraid to go against the grain of more 'intellectual' reviewers either - if he thinks something is pretentious, he says so.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• What I mostly like about Kermode is that he used to present Buzzcocks and I member him from that

Bye!

What I mostly like about Kermode is that he used to present Buzzcocks and I member him from that
    He's a completely bonkers double bass player too - I originally thought his 50s-style haircut was a tribute to the golden age of cinema, but it turns out it's more to do with his band :).

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9904
    Bidley said:
    Saying that, I nearly walked out of The Revenant. I was enjoying it but it was at least an hour and a half too long. I was relieved to see the credits.
    Yup. I seem to recall wishing that the grizzly had finished the job.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it