Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2020 Guitar Goals

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    Mine is to buy a new bass, play it a lot more and complete my recording project 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 630
    Maybe sell off most of the kit. Maybe everything. Barely play as just no time and when I do I can barely bring myself to pick up a guitar. Not too unusual for me but feels like getting worse.
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    buy a silver sky and then sell it again to buy the next guitar..... :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1 said:
    Maybe sell off most of the kit. Maybe everything. Barely play as just no time and when I do I can barely bring myself to pick up a guitar. Not too unusual for me but feels like getting worse.
    How come mate? Usually when I go through phases like that my interest completely goes...so I don't pay this place any attention. The fact that you're still here tells me that you're still keen. Chin up fella. Have a guitar on a stand ready to go, don't force it, just keep it for such a time as you do fancy it.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • My main aim is to play more cleanly. Basically, I want to get back to where I was about three or four years ago, but right now my playing is messy as hell, particularly when it comes to complex riffs, with strings ringing out all over the place. I can sort of get away with it in a full-band context, but it's irritating the snot out of me.

I know what to do, I just need to turn it back into a habit rather than having to think about it all the time.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7122
    tFB Trader
    Mine is to find the time to build my "ultimate" guitar. I have had the wood and parts for years but never had the time to make it due to working.

I plan to take on less work this year and indulge myself a bit more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Start playing along with more stuff rather than just widdling away in minor keys. 

I really like Eric Haugen's War On Drugs tutorials, have learned a couple but want to get them completely down and finish learning Pain to the point I can play it along to the record. 

Really enjoy looping still and want to explore that further with adding in some keys and drums or maybe the Boss SY-1 for synth tones.  
  • Join a band as a guitarist for the first time. Change amp to something more Fendery. Begin the long and arduous task of learning how to play Blues properly.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7022
    I'd like to get better. 

The fabulous @lukedlb sorted me out some materials to finally learn some Jimi tracks I've wanted to have down properly (instead of just widdling along in the same key) so that will form the basis. 

I can do a couple of things really well and a bunch of things terribly. 

And I'd like to be in a band.

And I'd like to play a gig. 

I've wanted the last two for a decade and it's not happened :(

Also had an agreement that I would marry my GF and could have a lovely guitar  when she got a ring but then I got ill and work turned dried up over economy uncertainty so a strategic rethink and no longer looking at a CS 335. Instead going to assemble my perfect Strat from various sources including some lovely people on here in bits and pieces over the year which will cost a lot less and mean a lot more and will mean i can sooner reward lock down ownership of my gf for putting up with my shit for too many years already :)
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • My main aim is to play more cleanly. Basically, I want to get back to where I was about three or four years ago, but right now my playing is messy as hell, particularly when it comes to complex riffs, with strings ringing out all over the place. I can sort of get away with it in a full-band context, but it's irritating the snot out of me.

I know what to do, I just need to turn it back into a habit rather than having to think about it all the time.

This. I potentially have my first 2 gigs this year and am mildly panicking already.My practice needs to get more disciplined and focussed on what's important. I'm too easily distracted by hearing stuff on the radio and thinking "I'll learn that" and forgetting to practice the set list.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12721
    • Stop buying guitars because they are 'different to what you have' and focus on the guitars I actually play
    • Play more 12 string
    • Finally build the Stereo guitar
    • Actually join a band again and play gigs
    • Stop getting annoyed by comments on forums
    • Stop making lists I won't read again...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24845
    Keep working on reading music properly.

Start trying to transpose written music in my head rather than writing it out.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9817
    Gearwise I'm actually pretty much sorted although I'm currently gassing for a 50s Strat (which I seriously don't need).

Sell the Esquire-alike and an old Katana which both rarely get a look-in these days and are surplus to requirements.

Playing goals - better phrasing and greater  variety of licks. Perform a bit more - apart from a weekly jam night I've played at a few open mics but lately seem to be having a bit of a crisis of confidence and have avoided this kind of thing. Silly really as I know my playing is OK -  I guess the step up from playing to performing brings added pressure and a feeling of scrutiny that I need to be more comfortable with.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I’ve had the same goals for years. Just play live more. It’s just that because I’m in an originals band it feels like it’s shrinking year on year. 
  • Learn more songs in a way that is useful at an open mic/jam rather than learning the "flash but useless" bits. 

I intend to get the hang of my lap steel guitar- I've messed with it, but having listened to a lot of Martin Harley recently I want to learn to play it. 
    I also want to improve on my mandolin (again with jamming in mind). 

Gear wise- buy nothing & sell nothing. I'm allowing ONE exception: if an Ibanez Fireman comes up I'll try to buy it, but only if the price is reasonable. 
  • Goals in no particular order..

Sell everything I don't use and just focus on a few bits of gear - there are a couple of pedals I want but other than that I've 'banned' myself from buying anything else.

I've selected a bunch of blues courses on Truefire and I'm going to work through them from start to finish focussing on building repertiore and language. No distractions...

Focus on ear training

Play live a little more again

Be more selective on what I spend my valuable time doing. General Internet bullshit and the like is off the menu for 2020.

Si
  • To learn how to play lead lines faster. I'm very slow and find my fingers just don't work fast
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2433
    To get my pedal steel playing to a level where it's actually capable of contributing something to a band!
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3719
    More gigs for the (covers) band.  We gigged 12 times in 2019, I’d like to get that up to  around 18 in 2020.

Continuous improvement individually and as a band.  For me that means more structure to my practice.  I’m also going to practice my vocals more (I sing backing) and maybe take a lesson or two.

Now that I have time (I took early retirement starting yesterday) I’m going to get back into writing and recording original material.  It would be good to work with others again rather than trying to do it all on my own.  
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    None, i mean realistically I could have got a Fender CS Strat this month but decided to put that for another trip instead.