Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2020 Guitar Goals

What's Hot

Comments

• Acquire a Kemper amp.

Join new band (covers or originals)

Improve on my lead playing a little bit particularly soloing over my key changes.

Sight reading could be better too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1111
    edited January 2020
    - Jam with other people
    - Play a live gig
    - Build up my locker of killer blues fills and turnarounds
    - Not feel any shame for the set up I've built (I have some top gear, but don't feel worthy of it, or at least not worthy enough of it to play it in front of people)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3344
    edited January 2020
    To gig more (at least a couple of times a month) and as my main gig for the last 6 years has been playing bass, I want to be  playing guitar in a band on a more regular basis than I've done. I do have a project that just needs a bit of a kickstart and it's a great bunch of guys/friends and musicians and I need to drive that.

Gear-wise, I'm very happy but wouldn't say no to a nice Tele and an acoustic bass or fretless one.

Oh, I want to attend more gigs and that was my goal in 2019 and I did rather well on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    edited January 2020
    impmann said:
    • Stop buying guitars because they are 'different to what you have' and focus on the guitars I actually play
    Yep I fall into this trap! Always feel like I need a singlecoil Fender to contrast my humbucker Gibson. But there’s a reason I’ve sold every Fender style I’ve owned - just don’t like how they feel or even look really! Decided the closest I’ll get to that style for my singlecoil fix is a P90 PRS or LP Special.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited January 2020
    I just play for fun, I don't have lots of unnecessary gear and I'm more than happy with my tonez, so I don't really have "goals" other than to just keep on enjoying playing guitar...or not.

Might try and join in with the riff of the week type stuff on here...maybe. 

Guitars is AWESOME!!
  • JasonJason Frets: 1106
    tFB Trader
    Finish the recording project I started this year, 2 songs down, 8 to go, and then to get them on to a CD, whilst I know that this is an almost redundant media, I like them and I like artwork to look at (albeit small artwork)
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • westfordwestford Frets: 599
    Record some more songs and maybe finally decide whether to get a new electric guitar or get some new pickups for my old Pacifica.
  • To keep getting better at...er...everything as far as guitar is concerned. Especially learn to play some lead, and get cleaner at picking. Strings, not noses. I want to have an EPs worth of songs by the end of the year too. Basically I want to be good enough to not worry if more guitarists are going to show up at the jam sessions...
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2243
    - Do my first acoustic open mic. 
    - Find a new band since leaving London. 
    - Get back in to regular lessons. 
    - Focus more on theory in my practice. 
    - Get better than my brother. (this is the year I'll overtake him)
    - Buy my son his first guitar.
    - Learn Little Wing
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Gear goal is hopefully on it's way to coda...

One of my main goals this year is to write my own solo material which includes those confounded lyrics...

Other goals include:
    gaining more confidence singing and playing at the same time.
    Playing with alt tunings (acoustic currently set up to open G).
    Then there is finally getting round to learning scales and theory... Not too much eh! 
  • Learn more theory ie the different modes, I have like zero theory knowledge

Learn/practice/play a list of easy-intermediate songs I have, part of this list is Eric Clapton's single discography on Wikipedia

Finish my new partsJEM project(paint and wiring new pickups)

Not buy anymore guitars, maybe sell one or repaint it
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    I think its time for me to go out and gig (rather than just open mic) - add too/write a couple of more songs and record more of my own stuff. 
  • MagicBusMagicBus Frets: 104
    To keep learning, play more gigs and keep doing what I love. 
    Less is more
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    Acquire nice Jazzmaster. Acquire a few newer pedals. Get better at guitar. Put EP out with band. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    A nice acoustic and possibly a bass guitar. I do toy with the idea of selling all my guitars and having one really nice one.  I know i would regret it though.

It's my 40th at the end of the year, I did buy myself a nice jap tokai for my 30th (sold that last year).  So possibly something to commemorate that nonsense 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Nikc said:
    I think its time for me to go out and gig (rather than just open mic) - add too/write a couple of more songs and record more of my own stuff. 
    I think to gig is better than open mic’s as if it’s done in the way that you each learn the songs then get together to rehearse , you can get an idea roughly of how to set up your gear for best access, get tight playing together by rehearsing regularly  and face the punters as a unit . Open mics can feel a bit rushed even if you’re a regular . If you have to sing and play too plus juggling hitting the pedal for the solo and hitting it again back for rhythm can be a bit daunting , then there’s the can you hear yourself playing/singing thing .
  • DrJazzTap said:
    A nice acoustic and possibly a bass guitar. I do toy with the idea of selling all my guitars and having one really nice one.  I know i would regret it though.

It's my 40th at the end of the year, I did buy myself a nice jap tokai for my 30th (sold that last year).  So possibly something to commemorate that nonsense 
    Famous last words of ‘gas’ you get the nice one , then think ahh I need another nice one now, with humbuckers/single coils/24 frets/soli/hollow etc 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    My band is ready so goal is to get out there

Playing-wise I've been learning jazz with the specific aim of tracking changes better when soloing in general. Just starting to see the pieces come together so I'd like to be quite proficient by 2021

Gear wise I don't need anything so I hope to forget about gear and quietly (noisily) get on with my life. Will keep building pedals (that doesn't count, does it?)
  • Just bought an hx effects and maybe planning to get down to one amp, the hx and one guitar. And spend the year just playing.
    No GAS for 12 months! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12337
    No GAS for 12 months! 
    I'm thinking this might need to be a rule for me as well.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom