Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Stupid things you've been asked when selling a guitar

What's Hot
I thought it would be fun to start this thread, after an experience at the weekend.

A guy emails me about my 2017 R8 and asks me to measure the nut - using a tape measure or ruler would be OK.
I sent him a copy and paste from the Gibson website and he emails me and says no, he wants a photo as spec differs.
So I measure it, and it's exactly as per the website. 
Guess what - he disappears, as if in a cloud of smoke. 

I'll probably get a lecture now on how it does differ and I should get off my high horse lol :-) 
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2819
    That wasn't "bobba" was it?  He's asked me to measure nut width on different guitars and then I never hear from him again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Quite like this one in the comments section of your R0 Lemonburst pics on Imgr:   :)

"Newly made Gibsons are shite now. Never buy a post 2008 model."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    I was recently asked regarding a Les Paul Custom whether I’d take a down payment, allow the lad to take the guitar, and trust him to pay the balance in instalments.

He seemed genuinely to be both mystified and mortally offended when I declined his hire purchase proposal.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    edited February 2020

thebreeze said:
    That wasn't "bobba" was it?  He's asked me to measure nut width on different guitars and then I never hear from him again.
    Bobba’s notorious for getting his jollies from that shit.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • The classic: "is this a lead or rhythm guitar?"
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31961
    The classic: "is this a lead or rhythm guitar?"
    I'm actually very tolerant of that question, as it's almost always a parent looking for a guitar for their kid. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • @thebreeze - it bloody was. Who is he?

Sent him factory specs, no wants photo. 
    Sent photo, nothing. Emailed him to get a message asking me to do it again. Told him I'd already sent it, then he says sorry I asked someone else the same question. Then nothing lol.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    I had someone ask if I would hold a guitar for several months for him, until he returned to the uk.

At which point he would like to come and try it out, with no commitment to actually purchase. 

4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Been asked by buyer if they can keep back £10 as they wanted to get a hair cut.

Selling copy of a Rickenbaker bass, guy claimed he definitely wanted it & was going to get his "manager" & come back to pay for it.
    Would I take the name plate of the head as he wanted the "manager" to think it was a real one?
    Guess what I did & guess what he did?  I don't think he was called bobba
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    He just wanted to see if you’d actually measure your nuts because some bloke off the t’internet asked you to
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • “Will you take £X?” Where X<40% of the asking price. 

“I don’t have the full amount right now. Can I give you £100 (for a £400 guitar) as a gesture of good faith, take the guitar and come back with the rest tomorrow?” 

Erm... Naw. 

• Put a Les Paul up for sale  and got asked " Do you think it will get me more gigs ?"  ..

I thought it was a joke but he was serious ( I think ) .  .
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:

thebreeze said:
    Bobba’s notorious for getting his jollies from that shit.
    @thebreeze - it bloody was. Who is he?

Sent him factory specs, no wants photo. 
    Sent photo, nothing. Emailed him to get a message asking me to do it again. Told him I'd already sent it, then he says sorry I asked someone else the same question. Then nothing lol.
    Must have some sort of nut fetish.  It's all a bit odd, he's got (or had, I haven't bothered to look recently) a load of stuff for sale which seem to mirror the guitars he's asking about, or they were in my case.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Best so far is chap who wanted a guitar but couldn’t collect for a month. After a week I popped an ad here as I hadn’t heard anything and texted to let him know. Then got a somewhat terse message stating that he thought I was going to hold it for him? Happy to I said - here’s my PPG addy for a small deposit... never heard from him again....
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    edited February 2020
    I listed a Dean Mustaine V for a friend... I think it was up for about £600, they were about £900 new at the time. A guy messaged me and said he was a student, couldn't afford the guitar but really wanted it, would I take £100 and a Playstation for it?

Had another student when I was selling a wah last year: asked me if I'd take another pedal as a swap, when I said there was nothing I needed he asked me if he could just have the wah then, since he was a student and couldn't afford to buy himself luxuries...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    I thought it would be fun to start this thread, after an experience at the weekend.

A guy emails me about my 2017 R8 and asks me to measure the nut - using a tape measure or ruler would be OK.
    I sent him a copy and paste from the Gibson website and he emails me and says no, he wants a photo as spec differs.
    So I measure it, and it's exactly as per the website. 
    Guess what - he disappears, as if in a cloud of smoke. 

I'll probably get a lecture now on how it does differ and I should get off my high horse lol :-) 
    Boba sent me the exact same note this weekend for my R7

He’s clearly into the size of members nuts..

oh well..I’ll look out for him in future
  • Is Boba a member on here, he could explain his nut width fetish! 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    edited February 2020
    I thought of selling my old Woolies amp when I got my Session in '86, was only asking £30 for it. Guy tips up and says it sounds good - why was I selling it ? So told him, 'got a new amp'. Says 'can I see it?' So he plays it too and says it doesn't sound as good as the Woolies amp to him, so would I take £25 for it? I said no and got an aggravated lesson in how I should expect to get less than I wanted for things when selling them s/h and that I had completely wasted his time... Has stood me in good stead over time - I never sold it, or anything since!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Some on here (who shall remain nameless) offerred me £350 for a guitar that was listed at £2500 saying that he was only 15 and "not a cheapskate". 
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Once asked if I would trade my Strat for A playstation 2 and an air rifle.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom