Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Stupid things you've been asked when selling a guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4381
    edited February 2020
    Stupid might be a bit strong but I’ve always considered “why are you selling?” to be one of the daftest questions. What are you realistically hoping to learn?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Lewy said:
    Stupid might be a bit strong but I’ve always considered “why are you selling?” to be one of the daftest questions. What are you realistically hoping to learn?
    Always easy to answer that one: “Money’.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5459
    I don't turn invert enough stuff to attract the real heroes. Best I've had was for a pedal. Agreed a price and shipping etc then they requested a video of it being used as "proof of life", not a demo. Sorted it all out, sent video, a fortnight later got "Thanks" and never heard from them again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The classic: "is this a lead or rhythm guitar?"
    Nothing will beat that one posted on here a while ago where some comment on the Argos website or somewhere like that for a guitar - "does this run on batteries? we can't see how to switch it on"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19393
    merlin said:
    Some on here (who shall remain nameless) offerred me £350 for a guitar that was listed at £2500 saying that he was only 15 and "not a cheapskate". 
    To be fair, it was an opening offer :-(
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7216
    57Deluxe said:
    I thought of selling my old Woolies amp when I got my Session in '86, was only asking £30 for it. Guy tips up and says it sounds good - why was I selling it ? So told him, 'got a new amp'. Says 'can I see it?' So he plays it too and says it doesn't sound as good as the Woolies amp to him, so would I take £25 for it? I said no and got an aggravated lesson in how I should expect to get less than I wanted for things when selling them s/h and that I had completely wasted his time... Has stood me in good stead over time - I never sold it, or anything since!
    Ha ha I got some knob telling me "people don't always get what they want" when I wouldn't move more on price.

He was so right, he wanted my guitar, but he didn't get it.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I had someone accusing me of selling a fake epiphone because of the amount of screws on the truss rod cover and therefore it was Chinese, it was actually a seventies Epiphone just like the one Kurt  used.  He didn't like the answer or clearly read the links I sent him and was very rude. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2061
    edited February 2020
    I once had a guy via gumtree and who is also a member on here asking about my Gibson J200 but pleading poverty. Me being a good guy dropped my price to the £1900 he claims he could only afford and I also agree to take a deposit and allow him a few weeks to get the money together which he does and we do the deal. So far all good. Few months later same guy enquires about a trade deal for one of 2 vintage acoustics I have for sale on Fretboard. He produces a list of guitars worth £10k... or more accurately valued around £10k by him and on that list is my J200. For fun I ask him his best price on the J200 and he says and a I quote “I can’t do for less than £2400”   
    2reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6832
    merlin said:
    Some on here (who shall remain nameless) offerred me £350 for a guitar that was listed at £2500 saying that he was only 15 and "not a cheapskate". 
    To be fair, it was an opening offer :-(
    Nah, it wasn't. He was a chancer, and said, and I quote;

"Wow, just read the comments and it left me more tearful than watching up.
    If you wanted it off your hands, I could probably do £300, I'm 15 not a cheapskate..! Worth a shot eh"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    "Does it have all the case candy?"

With the implication that he would either not be interested or would want money off if it didn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    tony99 said:
    57Deluxe said:
    I thought of selling my old Woolies amp when I got my Session in '86, was only asking £30 for it. Guy tips up and says it sounds good - why was I selling it ? So told him, 'got a new amp'. Says 'can I see it?' So he plays it too and says it doesn't sound as good as the Woolies amp to him, so would I take £25 for it? I said no and got an aggravated lesson in how I should expect to get less than I wanted for things when selling them s/h and that I had completely wasted his time... Has stood me in good stead over time - I never sold it, or anything since!
    Ha ha I got some knob telling me "people don't always get what they want" when I wouldn't move more on price.

He was so right, he wanted my guitar, but he didn't get it.
    You should have said, "Who the fuck are you - Mick Jagger?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2061
    Also had a few asking what guage are the strings.... hmm well whatever guage you want when you buy them surely?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9607
    I sold a 73 telecaster deluxe in delightful mocha brown for a steal on eBay - £1300 from memory and only a couple of years ago (made the mistake of a £1 no reserve action on it).
    The guy gets the guitar and a month later he wants to return the guitar as it’s got a neck shim. Yes mate, it’s a 3 bolt 70s fender. It’s called a set up. He wanted a refund of £500. Luckily eBay told him to get bent.

My stupidest though was selling a Japanese 57 reissue strat in shell pink and clearly advertised as such. Someone contacted me asked the colour - “shell pink, mate.” The tries to tell me Fender had never made Guitars in pink and I was selling a fake. Of course, he’d take it off my hands for x
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Someone accused me of trying to sell a fake Gibson a few years back, because the back of my LPJ had the USA MODEL 2013 etc stamped into the back of the headstock, and he was certain all Gibsons only have the serial number and nothing else.

Best thing about it was, it was after numerous questions where he was quite happy with the answers...
  • Not guitar-related, but I've listed a few bits on the Freecycle pages on facebook... without fail, someone has messaged me every time asking how much I want for it
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The worst was "does it have the certificate of authenticity" when it was listed and described as a Chinese-made Aiersi Les Paul copy.

Yes, this is genuinely counterfeited goods mate.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Once asked if I would trade my Strat for A playstation 2 and an air rifle.
    Love it... =)
  • I once advertised a Fender ‘Tele’ for sale and a young lad phoned up asking what size the screen was and did I have the remote control!
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Surprised he didn't ask the weight too, chortle.
  • I once advertised a Fender ‘Tele’ for sale and a young lad phoned up asking what size the screen was and did I have the remote control!
    Pmsl