Buyer wants to pay ‘by card’??

What's Hot

Comments

• Fishboy7 said:
    Hmmm, If it looks like a Casio calculator, Abort

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I took my laptop to Jesse Hoff’s house and settled the balance online before leaving with a J20.

does he mean by that? So he can pay you online with the Pin Entry reader?
    That seems like a lot of trouble for a bottle of fruity water 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowla said:
    To make an online payment from my bank I have to put my debit card into a little card reader and go through a dance of entering numbers and stuff to confirm the transaction.
    This. Sounds like someone who doesn't do this thing very often has got themselves a little confused.

The issue with electronic bank transfers is that they take a short while to show up. It would be quicker to perhaps invite him to attend the local branch of his bank with you, make the transfer at the counter and obtain a receipt, and then hand over the goods if you're satisfied.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    prowla said:
    To make an online payment from my bank I have to put my debit card into a little card reader and go through a dance of entering numbers and stuff to confirm the transaction.
    This. Sounds like someone who doesn't do this thing very often has got themselves a little confused.

The issue with electronic bank transfers is that they take a short while to show up. It would be quicker to perhaps invite him to attend the local branch of his bank with you, make the transfer at the counter and obtain a receipt, and then hand over the goods if you're satisfied.
    Or whilst in the bank, draw the cash out and pay for the dang thing. Can't beat the Queens shilling.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4767
    Might I suggest that he wants to see the goods before committing and, if satisfied, he will then make an online payment using the card reader to generate the code to confirm the payment.
    Pretty basic stuff to my mind.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4767
    A Faster Payment ought to show at your bank within minutes so don’t let him go until it does.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Cash all the way for me. Buying and selling private.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7749
    I took my laptop to Jesse Hoff’s house and settled the balance online before leaving with a J20.

does he mean by that? So he can pay you online with the Pin Entry reader?
    That seems like a lot of trouble for a bottle of fruity water 
    Haha
    Red ones are better. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    Nat West and affiliate banks use little card readers to verify internet transactions - they are Casio sized.  It's a slight pain, but mobile banking with PIN & text magic numbers has a £500 limit ISTR.

Wait to see money in your account.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5512
    rlw said:
    A Faster Payment ought to show at your bank within minutes so don’t let him go until it does.
    Ought to, yeah, but doesn’t always... I had a guy wait at my house for over an hour once when one he did just refused to show up. So just be prepared for that possibility, however remote...
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    Whitecat said:
    rlw said:
    Ought to, yeah, but doesn’t always... I had a guy wait at my house for over an hour once when one he did just refused to show up. So just be prepared for that possibility, however remote...
    Get a couple of parlour games ready, pass what could otherwise be a slightly awkward time.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 256
    There will be a confirmation that the transfer has succeeded with the to and from account numbers displayed on his phone. I don't think these transaction types are reversible.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19393
    JerkMoans said:
    Whitecat said:
    rlw said:
    Get a couple of parlour games ready, pass what could otherwise be a slightly awkward time.
    Wouldn't that involve putting down the gun?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    No way would I go for that! 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7299
    I guess you’re selling an expensive piece of kit where it would be risky to carry or receive large sacks of cash.  

In this case, bank transfer is the safest option.  Quite a lot of accounts need online transfer to be authorised by the person sending using a card reader which gives a one-time code.

Possibly best to ask the seller what they’re talking about.
    JerkMoans said:

Wouldn't that involve putting down the gun?
    ‘Armed Twister’
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited February 2020
    Cols said:
    I guess you’re selling an expensive piece of kit where it would be risky to carry or receive large sacks of cash.  

In this case, bank transfer is the safest option.  Quite a lot of accounts need online transfer to be authorised by the person sending using a card reader which gives a one-time code.

£230  :#
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • what i take from this is that no one is exactly sure what he's talking about. maybe clarification with him what he means. Just seeing we are talking about £230? id ask for cash only, i could understand someone not walking around with £5000 cash but 230 ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    SunDevil said:
    Cols said:

£230  :#
    What?! I’d anticipated something costing £2,500...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2061
    Perfectly normal if its a card reader for verifying online payments. I have one from RBS and need it to make payments online to any new payees.