Buyer wants to pay ‘by card’??

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7299
    £230 is in a comfortable range for cash only.  If he’s uncomfortable with carrying the money to your home then your could always go with him to an ATM.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Thanks for all the comments gents

In this case, ‘card reader’ is an iZettle type payment machine, not a Two Factor Authentication tool
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    So can you make payments with that too or is it one of the o es small businesses use to take payments? 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1655
    Eh? Aren't they for receiving payments?

If you're the seller just tell him how you want him to pay. It's your choice, not his.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 820
    Are they suggesting you set up an account in your name and use his reader? I don’t know anything about iZettle, but I wouldn’t be comfortable with it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7299
    Too many alarm bells.  I’d politely say cash only.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Cash cash cash all the way.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    Yeah my understanding of those card readers is that they’re for receiving payments, not sending them 
  • All card payments are reversible. Not worth the risk!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    Alex2678 said:
    Yeah my understanding of those card readers is that they’re for receiving payments, not sending them 

I have two online bank accounts which need me to put a card in a little calculator-like authenticator to add a recipient and pay them.

However, I would have never referred to it as a card payment.
    Some people are weird about payment; I once went to someone's place to pick up a guitar and they insisted I use PayPal even though I had the cash in my pocket.
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Turned out to be a dotty old lady and her teenage son. 

She did mean that she wanted to do a 2FA supported transfer, but used the wrong terminology

We went paypal in the end, so it cost me £7 in fees, but I’m the grand scheme of things, less hassle that way given the confusion and her aversion to cash
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    edited February 2020
    is it just me or am I misinformed in that if I am planning on buying something in a private sale I save up my cash so is instantly available on-hand if a deal breaks, or I go to the bank beforehand and take the cash along with me??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Accepting PayPal for goods collected in person is risky.  The transaction can be reversed with the buyer claiming they never received whatever they paid for; as PayPal only cover the seller if it’s been shipped by tracked delivery to the registered PP address you’re left without a leg to stand on.

Still, mad old lady and idiot teenager sound like unlikely scammers.
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Cols said:
    Accepting PayPal for goods collected in person is risky.  The transaction can be reversed with the buyer claiming they never received whatever they paid for; as PayPal only cover the seller if it’s been shipped by tracked delivery to the registered PP address you’re left without a leg to stand on.

Still, mad old lady and idiot teenager sound like unlikely scammers.
    This ^^^

The golden rules:

Cash on collection, or Paypal for delivery to the registered address, tracked and signed for. 
  • prowla said:
    Some people are weird about payment; I once went to someone's place to pick up a guitar and they insisted I use PayPal even though I had the cash in my pocket.
    yes ive had this several times, not a problem as im not out to scam them but i wouldnt do it the other way.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    prowla said:
    yes ive had this several times, not a problem as im not out to scam them but i wouldnt do it the other way.
    Ditto.  I think some people don't want the hassle of having to count/carry around/bank vast stacks of cash: in fact my last 'big' purchase went this way, so I was wandering around York with a Les Paul Custom and £2,000 in used banknotes about my person.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    Well it's 2020 and we barely use cash anymore. Gotta find a time inbetween my working hours of 8-6 and looking after the kids to go into town with them and their inability to stay still for 5 seconds with all that money, fight 50 people for a car parking space that costs you £100 an hour, find a bank which has probably shut down meaning you have to go to the next town and so on.

When people pay me in cash it sits on my mantlepiece for weeks slowly becoming depleted by my family.

In short cash is just a massive hassle. Transfer it to my bank, or send it via PayPal gift and it's done. No cash, I can't be arsed with it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well it's 2020 and we barely use cash anymore. Gotta find a time inbetween my working hours of 8-6 and looking after the kids to go into town with them and their inability to stay still for 5 seconds with all that money, fight 50 people for a car parking space that costs you £100 an hour, find a bank which has probably shut down meaning you have to go to the next town and so on.

When people pay me in cash it sits on my mantlepiece for weeks slowly becoming depleted by my family.

In short cash is just a massive hassle. Transfer it to my bank, or send it via PayPal gift and it's done. No cash, I can't be arsed with it. 

My dad always thinks it's hilarious that I hardly ever have cash on me. I just don't need it: using my phone or a card is just as quick or quicker. Also, when he lost his wallet on holiday he waved goodbye to £200, whereas if I lost mine it would be more like £20, if that 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

JerkMoans said:
    prowla said:
    Ditto.  I think some people don't want the hassle of having to count/carry around/bank vast stacks of cash: in fact my last 'big' purchase went this way, so I was wandering around York with a Les Paul Custom and £2,000 in used banknotes about my person.

Well, it was under £300 (an SG Special) and I was stood in his living room with his family too. He seemed worried that ebay might tell him off for not using PayPal.