Would you still buy a Gibson?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1420
edited February 2020 in Guitar
After all the negative press which seems to be ongoing, and while I love the look of a Gibson SG or Junior style, there's something stopping me from handing over $$$ to buy a new one. 
I would imagine if I dug a bit deeper with lots of stuff I own, I might find similar stories, but something in me is saying "nah, I'm not giving them my money this time".
Maybe if I bought a used one, I'd be giving my money to someone else instead...  :s
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I wouldn't buy a new one... But then again I wouldn't buy any new guitar, 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn't buy a new one... But then again I wouldn't buy any new guitar, 
    Amen to that. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73061
    I wouldn't buy a new one... But then again I wouldn't buy any new guitar, 
    Amen to that. :)
    The rest of us have little choice now...

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

21reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4792
    I wouldn't buy a new one... But then again I wouldn't buy any new guitar, 
    +1
    And certainly not the way financial markets are crashing globally right now!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2475
    I bought a Junior DC in the January sales because I wanted one and they were going about as cheap as they had been going used, so I figured I may as well get warranty for my money's worth. Certainly wouldn't pay full brand new prices regardless of their business practices, but their legal antics plus the fact that the used market is so plentiful means that much as I'd like another Les Paul, I wouldn't buy a new one.
    Tim
  • i just did :-) Thomann blow out 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Buy used. Save the planet. Save the pounds. 

The resale value will be with you... always. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23635
    I really don't like the current incarnation of Gibson very much, with their legal bullying and the "authentic" nonsense.  And I'm not convinced they've significantly improved their product line or quality control.

But as I peruse the dealers' websites, the things which have got me closest to genuinely GAS-ing recently are Custom Shop SGs and Flying Vs.  Yes, I would still buy Gibson.  I'm a hypocrite.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4766
    Sometimes you just have to buy new (and it saves all the hassle of buying used.............) but I always look for the best deals going - saved £400 on the last one I bought which, given it then cost less than a grand, was a big saving.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Sight unseen & new I'd buy their sub £1k range of tributes, SGs & juniors but above that buy Eastman. You do get some lucky used finds but it really depends on the individual guitar and your tastes.
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    For the right price, yes.
    Bought a SG Special last year when Thomann had them at a great price.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14771
    Every guitar on its merits. Try many. Be selective.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    I played a new 2019 special in PMT  a few weeks ago and it was great .no problems at all .I have a dreaded 2015 Midtown thats superb and all plays and works fine.Best guitar I have ever played
  • @rossi not to derail my own thread, but yes, I had a midtown and the neck and intonation, feel, was superb, but it didn't have the "full" hollow body sound I was looking for.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27749
    edited February 2020
    I’ve bought a couple of Gibson’s in the last 5 years absolutely would buy another. I agree a lot of the recent round of legal stuff is stupid but they also won’t win any of the lawsuits, but they’re also making really good guitars by all accounts. There are much bigger fights to worry about imo
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2475
    edited February 2020
    Sight unseen & new I'd buy their sub £1k range of tributes, SGs & juniors but above that buy Eastman. You do get some lucky used finds but it really depends on the individual guitar and your tastes.
    Having bought a Tribute Junior new in January and spent a fair bit of time in 3 shops playing various Gibsons, I'd say the sub £1k range is where you absolutely can't buy sight unseen. Nut issues, paint issues, fretwork issues all over the place, and I had to try 6 Juniors to find one that didn't have any major flaws.
    Everything Les Paul Classic sort of level and above felt lovely!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31951
    My boss is a dick, your boss is a dick, Gibson's boss is a dick. 

Stop being holier than thou, if you want one, buy one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    Bought a new Les Paul Special unseen from dv247 last year...   it's a great guitar, I set it up to my own taste but it was fine out of the box.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1420
    edited February 2020
    p90fool said:
    My boss is a dick, your boss is a dick, Gibson's boss is a dick. 

Stop being holier than thou, if you want one, buy one. 
    I wouldn't mind but every time I look at the DC junior, I want it! But but but
  • I'm sure if you delved deep enough into any guitar company's staff you'd find a reason not to buy anything , Danelectro anyone? 
    I bought a new 2018 SG Standard last spring. It's fabulous, no regrets at all. It needed some nut work, which Guitar Guitar in Epsom, the retailer, did willingly a week after purchase.