Would you still buy a Gibson?

What's Hot

Comments

• p90fool said:
    My boss is a dick, your boss is a dick, Gibson's boss is a dick. 

Stop being holier than thou, if you want one, buy one. 
    Actually my boss is great, but his boss can be a dick...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7126
    tFB Trader
    My boss is the worst.

I'd buy a Gibson before Eastman every time. Here's an Eastman with a split in the wood painted over. It's not untypical.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    The people making the dodgy management decisions are not the same people on the shop floor who are making the guitars - not a fan of Gibson's management or their legal team but I still love their guitars. 
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I'd still love a killer SG, but like most have already said, I'd buy used. The used prices of SGs seem to be so low compared to the new prices.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73060
    Given the sheer number of guitars there are in the world - not just Gibsons - to be honest you would need to have an aversion to used things of any description, or a desire to spend more money than necessary to get what you want, if it's any sort of traditional design.

This is probably not what guitar manufacturers want to hear...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    [Shrug]

Would I buy a Gibson just because it’s a Gibson? Absolutely not.

Would I buy a particular guitar with the Gibson branding on the headstock? Just like any other brand isn’t it,  an individual guitar stands or falls on its own merits.

Would Gibson branding carry *any* weight when I’m shopping? Ummmm... Probably some, but nothing like as much as it once would have done. This is partly because I’m more aware of alternatives than I used to be, and partly because some of the managements antics have kind of taken a bit of the shine off for me.

Have I bought a Gibson recently? Actually yes, a 2019 Les Paul Tribute. It sounds nice, it played nicely, and while I know the satin finish and stripped back vibe splits opinion I think it looks nice too... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • or just buy last years model, still new, at a reduced price from a shop 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm sure if you delved deep enough into any guitar company's staff you'd find a reason not to buy anything , Danelectro anyone? 
    Tell me more. I have two! :open_mouth: 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    or just buy last years model, still new, at a reduced price from a shop 

Gibson are saying that they have stopped the whole model year thing.  We might need to wait a year or to be certain that they are sticking to that though.
  • Yes, I absolutely would, in fact I'm more likely now to buy a Gibson that at any point in the past 10 years. The quality of the instruments I'd be interested is really great in comparison to how it was a few year ago. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14784
    tFB Trader
    Every guitar on its merits. Try many. Be selective.
    In a nut shell that is about right

Always have been good and bad examples of Gibson Guitars - Look at models from their 'golden era' and they are not all stunners - They might all be vintage and valuable 

I still see pics of some new models that can tempt you based on visual appeal - I handle examples that make you think 'I could own this'

So totally agree with your thought pattern
  • Caffeine_VampireCaffeine_Vampire Frets: 3480
    edited February 2020
    I’m waiting for the authentic 1977 pancake reissue with genuine vintage Norton quality and I won’t pay less than 6k for it. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1333
    rlw said:
    Sometimes you just have to buy new (and it saves all the hassle of buying used.............) but I always look for the best deals going - saved £400 on the last one I bought which, given it then cost less than a grand, was a big saving.
    Personally I think there's more hassle selling than buying.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    KrisGee said:
    rlw said:
    Sometimes you just have to buy new (and it saves all the hassle of buying used.............) but I always look for the best deals going - saved £400 on the last one I bought which, given it then cost less than a grand, was a big saving.
    Personally I think there's more hassle selling than buying.

Aye true, it's definitely a buyers market. As someone who can't drive though, I find it easier to sell used than buy used.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    The problem is that if I stopped buying from every company whose ethics rubbed me up the wrong way, I'd be living in a cave eating turf for dinner.

On the other had I'm a picky so-and-so when it comes to guitars.  It took me three months to find a Les Paul I liked last time around, so for the sake of keeping my friends and family sane by not dragging them to every guitar shop within a 100 mile radius, Gibson are probably safe from me for now.

Swings and roundabouts.
  • p90fool said:
    My boss is a dick, your boss is a dick, Gibson's boss is a dick. 

Stop being holier than thou, if you want one, buy one. 
    i agree 100% and im self employed :)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    Most of the lower price Gibsons are now cheaper  or at least  equal to  many Asian guitars  so is worth putting  that into the equation .You pay for what you get and while  many higher end Chinese guitars are  great ,few are perfect .Same for Gibson
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I'm more of a Fender man myself.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    I bought two in the last year. An excellent Jr that I sold because I don't play it, because I have an excellent LP Modern that I bought. I would definitely buy another one. Absolutely excellent guitar to play.