Junior style guitar, what to buy, Take 2

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1420
edited February 2020 in Guitar
Recently got an LP Junior kit made after I bought the parts and had a luthier put it together, and not really bonded with it, so I have sold it, for a loss, but that's the way it goes. Lesson learned and an expensive indulgence.
While I didn't bond with that one, I did love the sound. So I've been looking around at getting another junior style guitar. I'm not sure I ever bonded with Les Pauls, so may rule them out of the running based on my experience with the kit.
Valuable advice given to me on another thread is "try before you buy". Trying to keep the cost below €1,000, so guessing that's about £800 or so.

I'm in Ireland, and currently options within driving distance of me would be:

2019 Gibson DC tribute junior. I think it looks good despite what I've read online about the pickguard, though have read it's a slim neck, so won't really know until I try it.

2015 Gibson LP Junior. I'll audition it, but might not like it based on the kit experience.

2011 Gibson SG Junior. Again, I'll have a look and see, looks a little odd to me at times..

1980s Greco LP Junior. A bit of wear but could be interesting...

New Hamer Junior Special. I picked this up very briefly in a shop before and it could be a runner as well, though not sure on the bridge (I can't remember it being in the way when I tried it a while back). Going relatively cheap as well, and I could git a Bigsby vibramate in theory...

Vintage V130. The lower end of the scale, but have heard good things. it has a thick neck right?

New Epiphone LP Junior. Again, it's an LP, but would audition it...

Not sure how different the DC juniors are to LP juniors in feel, as I've never laid hands on a DC junior.

Anything else, I'd probably have to jump on a cheap flight to the UK and go to the likes of Andertons , or head to Glasgow.

Last option, and one I might try and avoid is to find some kind of a custom tele partscaster body with a P90 in the bridge, or P90 route and have a t style bolt on junior. Also would be appealing in a way.
e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZRjGKajyKs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments