Junior style guitar, what to buy, Take 2

What's Hot

Comments

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited March 2020
    Yes. Gibson seem to have aligned the Gibson USA and Epiphone ranges in the way that Fender and Squier have done for several years. 
    I think it's a very clever business decision to allow folk who aspire to a Gibson to by something similar at a lower price point. 
    Having investigated the range I REALLY like:

The Firebird
    The SG special in worn Pelham blue
    The LP jr

the change in headstock shape is a good step too- again following the Fender/Squier example. If the old headstock put off 1% of potential buyers that’s a LOT of extra guitars they could sell now. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    Does anyone think or know if there will be new editions of dc tributes later this year? CME are doing a limited run of tv yellow in the DC tribute, but the shipping and tax costs are pretty high. 

Might just plump for a worn cherry or an ebony, but just wondering if there might be more finish options coming later this year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 860
    TTony said:

This one is definitely special

I like that open pore, brutally basic! 

Is it simply nitro sprayed on without primer/filler/undercoat?

I'm guessing it will wear quickly!?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    don't forget the Vintage VR130 Double Cut (Satin Cherry)

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Is it simply nitro sprayed on without primer/filler/undercoat?

I'm guessing it will wear quickly!?
    Yes @SlopeSoarer ;

I asked the brilliant @rexter to finish it with the thinnest finish possible.  No grain filler (etc) and leave it all as open as he could.  And it’ll wear naturally - not something you see much of nowadays!  But there’s enough colour over the neck tenon to avoid the need for a scratchplate, which all helps keep it “brutally basic”!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3429
    LPManic said:
    Does anyone think or know if there will be new editions of dc tributes later this year? CME are doing a limited run of tv yellow in the DC tribute, but the shipping and tax costs are pretty high. 

Might just plump for a worn cherry or an ebony, but just wondering if there might be more finish options coming later this year.
    They've done a white one too...
    https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/listing/gibson-usa-les-paul-junior-tribute-dc-worn-white-wtortoise-pickguard-cme-exclusive-pre-order/29536500
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9825
    Last option, and one I might try and avoid is to find some kind of a custom tele partscaster body with a P90 in the bridge, or P90 route and have a t style bolt on junior. Also would be appealing in a way
    I'm sure @TTony has built a few like that. 
    My main guitar is an Esquire partscaster with an OilCity Alligator 90 in the bridge. It scratches the itch quite nicely. It's on the right. 

https://i.imgur.com/vKVZJui.jpg

Though I still borrow my daughter's guitar when I REALLY want to make a statement. 

https://i.imgur.com/DP63APW.jpg
    I've also got an Esquire'd Tele with an Alligator 90 in it. I can vouch for the Alligator pickup. Tele like until the volume pot is up around 7, then becomes a snarling rock monster. However if I was doing it again I'd probably get the Kayman 90 instead which is supposed to be a bit warmer.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14759
    dogload said:
    … 1994 Epi … headstock/ neck join looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
    TBH, the scarfed on headstock is probably less likely to snap than a one-piece. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2475
    Just to add my voice to the noise and add another vote for the 2019 Les Paul Junior DC Tribute. Took me a while to find a good one but I adore mine.
    Tim
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    +1 for the PRS SE One - I actually had (and still own and play) a PRS SE Single Cut Soapbar, which was pretty much the Special to the One’s Junior and it’s a gem.

For that matter also +1 on the Gordon Smith GS1 - well worth tracking one down (there seem to be a reasonably number of stockists now) to trying you’re not keen on the mail order option, although if you do want to order from GS there’s a Custome build configurator which gives enough of a choice of options (wood, body thickness, neck profile, fingerboard wood, etc, etc) that it should be possible to satisfy anyone...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 556
    edited March 2020
    Picked up a Vintage V120 last week and after swapping the ugly tailpiece for a 'Gibson' style one. Polishing the frets & wiring it to 50's spec with CTS pots & a PIO cap, It sounds pretty 'Authentic' Mr Agnesi

• LPManic said:
    I really want a LP Junior tribute DC. But then I saw the new 58 Custom Shops. And I want one of those as well. 

Is there a middle ground one P90 type guitar? Say for £1000-1500?
    Left-field suggestion, but if I had that sort of budget for a single P90 DC I'd be sorely tempted by one of these...

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170201306960008-2295595--le-pape-l-steel-paul-junior-red-18170

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/181108334671001-2295598--le-pape-l-steel-junior-black-18167

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1420
    One of these also showed up for sale near me. Weird place for the jack input though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLvO0CRoi5s
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    LPManic said:
    I really want a LP Junior tribute DC. But then I saw the new 58 Custom Shops. And I want one of those as well. 

Is there a middle ground one P90 type guitar? Say for £1000-1500?
    Left-field suggestion, but if I had that sort of budget for a single P90 DC I'd be sorely tempted by one of these...

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170201306960008-2295595--le-pape-l-steel-paul-junior-red-18170

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/181108334671001-2295598--le-pape-l-steel-junior-black-18167

My goodness they are lovely
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4762
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • NyquistNyquist Frets: 2
    NelsonP said:
    I have a 2019 Gibson DC tribute junior.

Paid just over £500 for it and it's a cool guitar. Proper rock machine. Basic but good. No-one worries about pickguard mounted pickups on a strat so no issue for me.

Only thing about it is that the G string won't stay in tune.  The nut needs sorting, but that's an easy fix. 
    I've got the same guitar and the tuning same problem. Not sure what I need to do about it so any advice would be helpful.
    thanks
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2475
    Nyquist said:
    NelsonP said:

Paid just over £500 for it and it's a cool guitar. Proper rock machine. Basic but good. No-one worries about pickguard mounted pickups on a strat so no issue for me.

Only thing about it is that the G string won't stay in tune.  The nut needs sorting, but that's an easy fix. 
    I've got the same guitar and the tuning same problem. Not sure what I need to do about it so any advice would be helpful.
    thanks
    Most of the ones I tried before getting the one I bought had awfully cut nuts, so I would bet on that. Take it to a tech and get them to see if they can improve the cut of the nut grooves, or more likely just stick a new nut on, either bone or TUSQ.
    Tim
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3429
    timmypix said:
    Nyquist said:
    NelsonP said:

thanks
    Most of the ones I tried before getting the one I bought had awfully cut nuts, so I would bet on that. Take it to a tech and get them to see if they can improve the cut of the nut grooves, or more likely just stick a new nut on, either bone or TUSQ.
    This exactly. Just need to find time to take it to my tech to get the nut filed or replaced if necessary. Its not that bad really, more of a minor irritation than anything. But it should have been right from the factory.

FWIW mine is the early version, with the jack on the front. I think they moved to a different nut material on the v2 (Tektoid > GraphTech), probably for exactly this reason.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1420
    If $541 pre checkout wasn't an issue, I'd be going for this!