80's Pedalboard, what's on it?

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8625
After many years and much expense I feel that I've finally nailed my "serious" pedalboard.

Now for the fun stuff. I'm thinking of putting together a second smaller board with a view to nailing some 80's-esq rawk tones, just for a laugh, and because I'm occasionally in the mood for such stuff.

So, what pedals would you use to make up a simple 3 - 4 pedal board, not too expensive, that would get you into EVH / Lukather sunset strip type sounds. I plug into a clean amp so need the drive element as well. 

Don't need to be authentic 80's pedals, modern stuff is fine if it gives the sounds.

Thinking Drive, chrous / flange, delay.

What would you choose........
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31586
    Firstly, you must wear your guitar very high to get the 80's tone.

Secondly, you can only use Boss or rackmount

Thirdly it must have an ART rack unit somewhere.

Fourthly, something must be made by Rocktron and you must have at least one Peavey amp.

Now go for it...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    DS-1 or a RAT.

Boss CE-something (I'd say 1 or 2, but apparently they're now 'vintage' so go for stupid money :/ )

Delay of some sort...dunno, I'm not up on delay. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    Oh a Dimension D pedal as this works well on cleans and sounds good on overdrive. The Providence Heatblaster is meant to be good for the 80s rock tone and then a delay, possibly one that does ducking! You could get a Boss SE-50 half rack and a good 80s rock pedal.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
    MXR Distortion +,  Boss Dimension C, DOD 280 Compressor, Carlsbro Echo and Dunlop Crybaby
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    sd1 and then some kind of hot rod marshally distortion pedal as well

something ce2-based would probably work for the chorus
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8625
    Kebabkid said:
    Oh a Dimension D pedal as this works well on cleans and sounds good on overdrive. The Providence Heatblaster is meant to be good for the 80s rock tone and then a delay, possibly one that does ducking! You could get a Boss SE-50 half rack and a good 80s rock pedal.
    Actually Cos, I've been thinking the Zoom MS-70CDR could take care of everything but the drive, what do you reckon as an owner of said unit?
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    There's only one answer to this. Sell one of your Harleys, pop the cash in an envelope then head over to Bob Bradshaw and pay for the full rack treatment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    I'd say you need:

A compressor - SP is my fav, but not cheap, all cleans must have stacks of compression

A distortion - If you are going into a bright clean amp then I'd think a Riot, Crunchbox, or Pinnacle if you want ampy or a RAT if you want hard edged distortion.

A chorus - a Boss digital chorus will do the job

Delay - Boss DD3
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Boss digital delay (take your pick)

MXR Microchorus, or Boss Chorus (take your pick)

Marshall Guvnor Mk1, Guvnor2, Jackhammer, Drivemaster or shred master (take your pick)

MXR phase 90 and/or MXR Microflanger/MXR EVH Flanger  (take your pick)

Any combination of the above will get you in the right area.

The Digitech Digidelay and chorus are decent alternatives too

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    dindude said:
    After many years and much expense I feel that I've finally nailed my "serious" pedalboard.

Now for the fun stuff. I'm thinking of putting together a second smaller board with a view to nailing some 80's-esq rawk tones, just for a laugh, and because I'm occasionally in the mood for such stuff.

So, what pedals would you use to make up a simple 3 - 4 pedal board, not too expensive, that would get you into EVH / Lukather sunset strip type sounds. I plug into a clean amp so need the drive element as well. 

Don't need to be authentic 80's pedals, modern stuff is fine if it gives the sounds.

Thinking Drive, chrous / flange, delay.

What would you choose........
    Boss OD-2 Turbo Overdrive
    Boss BF-2 Flanger
    Boss DD-3 Delay

If you want four then add either:

Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
    or
    Boss CE-2 Chorus

… depending on whether drive or modulation is more important.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I ought to put in a good word (cause no-one else will!) for the immortal and infamous Boss HM-2 

Wide range of tones, and about as 80's as wearing a suit jacket with the sleeves rolled up, blonde highlights in your hair and Michael Knight and KITT ;)
    There's also the Ibanez SS-10 Session Man pedal, which is a distortion with chorus… LA Sound in a box and comes in a lovely 80s shade of pinky-purple :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited June 2014

One of these - is a cheap way of covering much of what your after - particularly if your clean amp can be be pushed into breakup easily

dindude said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Actually Cos, I've been thinking the Zoom MS-70CDR could take care of everything but the drive, what do you reckon as an owner of said unit?
    Oh yeah. The Zoom is a no brainer. Well, I'm a big fan of the Fulltone OCD V.4 and that would work but I'll try just those 2 into my amp soon and let you know. If you add something like an Xotic EP Boost to the OCD or a TS (or your Mad Professor), that puts the cherry on the cake, however, then the board starts to get bigger, which defeats your original objective. Hopefully, we're meeting soon so you can try the pedals yourself :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JMP220478 said:

[Boss BE-5]

That's actually more 90s. (Came out in '91 according to BossArea.) It's the ME-5 which is the definite 80s one.

But what you want for the ultimate 80s Boss pedalboard is the ME-X…

Those are actually still quite sought-after, with good reason. A clever blend of programmability, analogue single-pedal function where it's most needed, and decent digital effects. Plus it has a tuner, which is one of the biggest failings of the ME-5.

Kebabkid said:
    dindude said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Oh yeah. The Zoom is a no brainer. Well, I'm a big fan of the Fulltone OCD V.4 and that would work but I'll try just those 2 into my amp soon and let you know. If you add something like an Xotic EP Boost to the OCD or a TS (or your Mad Professor), that puts the cherry on the cake, however, then the board starts to get bigger, which defeats your original objective. Hopefully, we're meeting soon so you can try the pedals yourself :)
    Edit: Not much here, as in pedals from that era, but they should do the job -
    Compressor (MXR Dynacomp for gritty, very obvious and effected compression or the new Xotic SP Comp). The Zoom MS-70CDR for all your modulations, delays and reverbs too and some pitch effects, an OCD and possibly a wah.
    edited June 2014
    Kebabkid said:
    Kebabkid said:
    dindude said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Edit: Not much here, as in pedals from that era, but they should do the job -
    Compressor (MXR Dynacomp for gritty, very obvious and effected compression or the new Xotic SP Comp). The Zoom MS-70CDR for all your modulations, delays and reverbs too and some pitch effects, an OCD and possibly a wah. @Bellycaster knows his 80's sounds and achieves them well with his board. Oh, and the Wampler Pinnacle is a good one (the 2 button Deluxe version) and the Radial Engineering Trimode

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

Memories of my childhood in the 80s are slowly being corrupted.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/imadray/pedalboard_zps6f9b88f1.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited June 2014

@ICBM - I got my BE5 in late 80's - the ME models followed with programming etc 

The BE5  featured on front of  vol6 of boss guitar effects guide 1989

this thread is an interesting read on the BE5 and some 80/90's alternatives

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/218016-80s-boss-5-pedal-board-boss-single-pedal-circuits-inside.html