80's Pedalboard, what's on it?

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8625
    Thanks for all the suggestions people, some great stuff here, and a few trips down memory lane, not surprised to see Boss figure so prominently.

At the moment I'm thinking maybe a Rivera Double Shaman into a Zoom MS-70CDR. The Rivera is bit more than I want to spend but it seems like it could get SRV type breakup on the one side and then modded Marshall on the other channel, combined with the Zoom could be a very versatile 2 pedals set up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    My old board is a Jen Wah, really wonderfully battered Route66 and an EHX Small Clone with now paint ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099
    edited June 2014
    Kebabkid said:
    Oh a Dimension D pedal as this works well on cleans and sounds good on overdrive...
    [pedant mode]  The Dimension D was a big ol' rack mounted lump; the Dimension C was the pedal. [/pedantry]

But I reckon I'd use an EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress to get that 80s chorus/ flange sound.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    @dindude - I tried the OCD into the Zoom and it works really well with a couple of the chorus/delay presets working really well on both clean and dirty. Personally, the sound benefited from my compressor (Keeley) and was even better, as in more singy, when I added the Xotic EP or my Keeley TS808. So, if you can find a good  "LA" overdrive pedal that compresses well and naturally and has a boost, pair it up with the Zoom and I think you're onto a winner. Don't forget that the Zoom has a decent in-built tuner too and a lot of other effects other than chorus, delay and reverb - univibe, trem, vibrato, flange, phaser and pitch effects.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    Grunfeld said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Oh a Dimension D pedal as this works well on cleans and sounds good on overdrive...
    [pedant mode]  The Dimension D was a big ol' rack mounted lump; the Dimension C was the pedal. [/pedantry]

But I reckon I'd use an EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress to get that 80s chorus/ flange sound.
    Ah yes you clearly need an Electric Mistress, or a Mooer clone of one. 

Not that I have one in the classifieds or anything. 

Instant Police. 
    Grunfeld said:
    Kebabkid said:

Yep, you're right @Grunfeld - it was the Dimension C. Cheers
    Kebabkid said:
    @dindude - I tried the OCD into the Zoom and it works really well with a couple of the chorus/delay presets working really well on both clean and dirty. Personally, the sound benefited from my compressor (Keeley) and was even better, as in more singy, when I added the Xotic EP or my Keeley TS808. So, if you can find a good  "LA" overdrive pedal that compresses well and naturally and has a boost, pair it up with the Zoom and I think you're onto a winner. Don't forget that the Zoom has a decent in-built tuner too and a lot of other effects other than chorus, delay and reverb - univibe, trem, vibrato, flange, phaser and pitch effects.
    Thanks for trying that Cos, I'm pretty convinced the Zoom will do the job for me here
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    edited June 2014
    Kebabkid said:
    Dimension D pedal .
    I picked one up this week. Amazing pedal, sounds awesome with distortion for that Killing Joke sound I love or with loads of delay and reverb for a great Cocteau Twins sound.
    Kebabkid said:
    Grunfeld said:
    Kebabkid said:

Yep, you're right @Grunfeld - it was the Dimension C. Cheers
    @Grunfeld, theres more to it. The Dimension D rackmount was by Roland then came the analogue Boss Dimension C (DC-2) pedal then the digital/stereo Digital Dimension D (DC-3) pedal later named the Digital Space D (same circuitry as the first DC-3)

Pearl all the way;

+1 Absolutely. I still have the Overdrive OD 05 and I had 2 Pearl Flangers but they got stolen, in fact I bid on one on eBay last week but didn't get it.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    @KarlosSantos I have the 2 pictured above on my board and I'm always hunting for others. The CHO1 kicked an analogueman bi-chorus off the board. My all time favourite pedal. The overdrive and delay are on my list too. Will have to keep my eyes out for the flanger too
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    When my flangers got nicked I bought a Boss flanger on the assumption that it would be great as at that time I was using a lot of Boss pedals - hated it. Never heard a flanger that cut the mustard the way the Pearl did.

Funny that @kelvinburn you have the DS06. My late father took me to buy my first guitar pedal (apart from the fuzz that he made for me) and I had to choose between the Pearl Overdrive and the Distortion but I was sold on the parametric EQ on the OD. I still love that pedal for sentimental reasons as well its amazing sound. 
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    The spectrum function on the distortion is brilliant, I was assuming the parametric EQ on the OD would be equally as good so I can ditch my Stone Deaf PDF. Good to know. Cheers
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3091
    edited June 2014 tFB Trader

Still have my ME-5 from 87 or 88. Was going to sell but dang me if it still doesn't do some useful things. Even if what I want from it is a fraction of what it was meant to do. "Step away from the flanger".

Arion pedals. Although they mostly expired within minutes of being plugged in.

• gubblegubble Frets: 1826
    edited June 2014
    How about a JHS (not posh JHS) Wah?

I've a lovely Delta Labs Effectron Jr  delay unit that i can let you have if you're going rack mount.

It's brown too !!!!!!
    edited June 2014
    I went with these in the end, nice and simple, haven't had much time with them but I'm already in 80's-tastic land. Bullseye hopefully.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    Flippin' 'ell - they look good D and do you think you'll need a compressor?
    Recommended are the Smooth Delay setting on the Zoom
    @kebabkid I've tried but I don't get on with compressors very well. My main board has very dynamic drives on them so that is my default. The Rivera is pretty compressed anyhow (more so than I would normally use) so does the job there. 

Really enjoying the Zoom, it's a fun pedal.
    Re:Zoom, I knew you would - it's a lot of pedal for the money and the sounds are decent!
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    surely for 80's sounds you would need a tube screamer? as plugging one of those into an OD is instant 80's!
    so how about.....

TS808
    OCD or HT Dual
    MXR Stereo Chorus (nothing says 80's more than gratuitous amounts of chorus)
    and boss DD2
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    You only need a shitty CHORUS pedal for 80s authenticity - and turn everything up to 10 so it sounds like your playing in a shopping Mall...

Sorted.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>