Josh Smith

What's Hot
mgawmgaw Frets: 5322

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5322
    cant help but feel he is going to be one of the very best blues guitarists of all time,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    This came up as a suggested video for me on YouTube just the other day. It’s the one with the Bonamassa v Emmanuel and Smith guitar duel! 

I had no idea who Smith was until I saw your post but I just rewatched. He takes the first solo in the full vid. Awesome timing and really tasty licks. Seriously impressive guitarist and looks like he’s having a blast! 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7023
    edited March 2020
    Lovely bloke. Clearly a virtuoso. I've listened to everything he has put out. 

Doesn't have a single memorable song. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2450
    .A great player but far from the ever being the best. He has a dreadful pub singer blues vocal and his songs are pretty dire. 
    He's one of the many players who appear to be everywhere on your feeds, but when they come to tour they are still playing glorified bars. I'd be surprised if he makes the transition from there to 'theatres' Not that it matters cos I was told that his child is a hugely successful actor in America.
    I much prefer the playing of his mate Kirk Fletcher or even Eric Gales. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1401
    Depends on what he’s looking to achieve. Guitar orientated music is arguably niche anyway so doubt he has set his sights on a stadium tour. I saw him live when he was last over here and he is a monster player. Bought cds there and then and I like them. Ymmv
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    Kirk has better songs sadly his voice is just shy of where it needs to be to hit the next level. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    edited March 2020
    soma1975 said:

Lol mind you neither has bonnamassa really Well I’ve heard one called slo gin but I wouldn’t be able to hum it back to you  

Bonnamassa is a great player no doubt and a generally nice bloke but comes across a bit of a poser to me. Josh seems to be more the real thing imo  
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited March 2020
    soma1975 said:

Lol mind you neither has bonnamassa really Well I’ve heard one called slo gin but I wouldn’t be able to hum it back to you  

Bonnamassa is a great player no doubt and a generally nice bloke but comes across a bit of a poser to me. Josh seems to be more the real thing imo  
    Nah, Bonamassa is a better song writer, as evidenced over many albums. He’s not Paul Mccartney, and he’s said in a recent interview he’d gladly swap some technical ability for songwriting skill. But he’s written better modern blues / blues-rock songs than the majority of the current new blues generation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ten77guitarten77guitar Frets: 1174
    Tim Curry wrote Sloe Gin. JoBo’s cover is great though.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ten77guitarten77guitar Frets: 1174
    soma1975 said:

That’s the fella. It is somewhat telling that probably Joe’s most memorable song was written by someone more famous for his acting.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16377
    Josh's rig rundown is the current one on Premier Guitar. He has an interesting approach to getting his sound, his playing is controlling what for many of us would be a difficult set up. He's done a fair bit of session work so I guess we could have heard his work and not be aware of it. 
    His solo stuff is probably a bit niche and not really my thing but the knowledge and skills are very admirable. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2450
    soma1975 said:
    Kirk has better songs sadly his voice is just shy of where it needs to be to hit the next level. 
    Yeah, shame about that..always sounds a little flat. If he had the voice he'd be the next BB King. I like his plug in and play approach, he's not one to get sidetracked by amps and effects. 
    My favourite young blues player sadly died...Sean Costello. His last album was fantastic and his playing on Susan Tedeschi's record Just Won't Burn was stellar. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23596
    Josh's rig rundown is the current one on Premier Guitar. He has an interesting approach to getting his sound, his playing is controlling what for many of us would be a difficult set up.
    I watched it, but I was distracted... I kept worrying about whether his hat was justified or simply phoney.  Is he trying to imply a genuinely robust musical background?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1359
    I think Josh is an amazing player.. really interesting guy and gives it straight when commenting on what he needed to do to get to where he is. His stuff on Truefire is worth a watch for his approach but beware within the first couple of 'lessons' he basically says what you need to know and that's pretty much everything.

I can listen to him play all day and never tire but have no time whatsoever for his songs and voice..

Bit like Matt Schofled although I do actually like some of Matt's tunes.

Si
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16377
    Philly_Q said:
    Josh's rig rundown is the current one on Premier Guitar. He has an interesting approach to getting his sound, his playing is controlling what for many of us would be a difficult set up.
    I watched it, but I was distracted... I kept worrying about whether his hat was justified or simply phoney.  Is he trying to imply a genuinely robust musical background?
    As long as Rocker didn't spot his tattoos, those would be worth some tutting and a two page Discussion. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    He's no polyphia...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5322
    I think Josh is an amazing player.. really interesting guy and gives it straight when commenting on what he needed to do to get to where he is. His stuff on Truefire is worth a watch for his approach but beware within the first couple of 'lessons' he basically says what you need to know and that's pretty much everything.

I can listen to him play all day and never tire but have no time whatsoever for his songs and voice..

Bit like Matt Schofled although I do actually like some of Matt's tunes.

Si
    couldn't agree more, bought an Album, certainly not my favourite, but as a player/sideman I think the guy is an outstanding player, and keeps pushing
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Saw him a few times last year including his clinic at Peach which was great. He's a fantastic player but I agree that I don't find any of his songs that memorable. Perhaps "Penance" which is a bit gilmour-esque and very different in style.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1359
    edited March 2020
    sgosden said:
    He's no polyphia...
    Thank fu..