Josh Smith

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• These guys get criticised for "not having the songs" but I think the problem is one of context and genre.  In the mid 60s it was a lot easier to write blues based and blues-rock songs that sounded fresh.  Nowadays most efforts can't help but sound cliched, derivative and old fashioned.  There are some songs that transcend the genre by the likes of Jack White, Alabama Shakes, Black Keys, Drive By Truckers etc but they are rare enough to be the exceptions that prove the rule.  If songwriting is your thing, modern blues and blues rock probably isn't going to be.

This is very true, and because of this it tends to really highlight lame and cliched lyrics about 'missing my baby' and all that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7221
    In terms of modern blues Doyle Bramhall, Gary Clark, Vintage Trouble, Marcus King et al all have great songs without being super corny.

It's just I think there's a certain slice of the American way that doesn't necessarily travel too well, starting with most stuff involving cowboy hats. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2526
    DLM said:
    Strat54 said:
    My favourite young blues player sadly died...Sean Costello. His last album was fantastic and his playing on Susan Tedeschi's record Just Won't Burn was stellar. 
    @Strat54 Thanks for that, I'd heard the name but never the playing, so I pulled up the most watched video on YouTube. What a loss. :( This sort of music's not exactly my main thing, but that was sublime. 
    Yes, agreed. The blues isn't for everyone, its not something I can bare to listen to much these days either unless, its Doyle Bramhall/Marcus King type soulful blues. I will say one thing though, it just needs some raw real emotion over technical ability and songcraft. 
    Like this....no hats, no suits no multipedal double decker board....just guitar and amp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0dGhfMMqb0
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 192
    Strat54 said:
    DLM said:
    Strat54 said:
    My favourite young blues player sadly died...Sean Costello. His last album was fantastic and his playing on Susan Tedeschi's record Just Won't Burn was stellar. 
    @Strat54 Thanks for that, I'd heard the name but never the playing, so I pulled up the most watched video on YouTube. What a loss. :( This sort of music's not exactly my main thing, but that was sublime. 
    Yes, agreed. The blues isn't for everyone, its not something I can bare to listen to much these days either unless, its Doyle Bramhall/Marcus King type soulful blues. I will say one thing though, it just needs some raw real emotion over technical ability and songcraft. 
    Like this....no hats, no suits no multipedal double decker board....just guitar and amp:

If there is/was a modern “blues great”, I think many of our leading blues artists would say it was Sean Costello. 

But back to Josh, and to the original point, what a monster player. I think he is a giant from a blues player point of view. But so are Eric Gales and Matt Schofield, as other folks have pointed out.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3893
    Tremendously talented player, but no songs or riffs or anything memorable or particularly inventive. Chops for days, though. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2714
    Loobs said:
    Tremendously talented player, but no songs or riffs or anything memorable or particularly inventive. Chops for days, though. 

I agree with this.  First time I heard him he was demoing an amp i was interested in, and I had no idea he was any kind of name player, as far as I was aware he was just a guy demoing his new amp.  And I thought wow that guy is good.

Later I realised he was already a bit of a name, but the more I check him out, the less magic I'm hearing.  He has great touch and feel, he knows how to capture the spirit of the music he's playing.  But to me it's like he's a sponge, he can really absorb the vocabulary of the styles he's emulating and spew it out back out wonderful technique, good ears.  But he puts all that stuff he's learned - blues, a bit of old school jazz, country etc - into the melting pot and it maybe comes out mixed up in a different order or with unusual facility, but I'm not hearing that's new or magical or special to him. 

Great skills to have if you want to be a session guy, or a hired hand in a live band, or teach or demo guitars but not the ones you need to be a creative artist.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    one point I would throw in is he is really progessing, I have been checking out his stuff, and am excited to see where he can get to, once he feels really free on that guitar I still think something amazing is coming
    Strat54 said:
    DLM said:
    Strat54 said:

thanks @Strat54 my new favourite guitar player is Sean Costello, 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2526
    Glad to spread the word @mgaw . Only got to see him the once which was a shame but it was a memorable gig. He was destined for great things alas he was suffering from an undiagnosed case of bi-polar which lead to a rather quick demise. The world lost an amazing raw talent and its kind of sad that most people haven't heard of him. His mum I think runs his facebook page which has gained more of a following now and the family have helped raise awareness of the condition too. 
    will check that out