Universal Audio OX

What's Hot
grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1360
Be interested if anyone has any views on this?

I currently have a Fryette PS2 for attenuation duties but am looking to move towards emulation for recording so was thinking about getting one of these for a one-box solution. Could also be used live as well..

To be honest I know sod all about these types of devices as I've only ever mic's up a real cab or used a VST (Softube/S Gear)

Appreciate any insights.

Si
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 456
    All of the units in this section of the market do their jobs fairly well (both the OX and BOSS Tube Expander). You may also want to consider the new Two Notes Torpedo Captor X which offers similar functionality to the other units at less than half of the price of the other two.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    susbemol said:
    All of the units in this section of the market do their jobs fairly well (both the OX and BOSS Tube Expander). You may also want to consider the new Two Notes Torpedo Captor X which offers similar functionality to the other units at less than half of the price of the other two.
    I have a Captor X on pre order, great bit of kit 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    As I'm now a reactive load expert (not) would just like to add that the Captor (even cheaper) & Captor X offer a great solution for recording, but live they are not really useful other than providing a emulated out on the captor or a proper IR on the captor x.  The in-built attenuator is a fixed level and not part of the reactive load circuit, it's a simple resistor one and sounds a bit rubbish.  The two notes reload may be a better option, but the TAE definitely has more features.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    I've owned the Fryette PS, the OX and the Boss thingy...

My thoughts are below;

1.) Best amp attenuator - Fryette PS

2.) Best 'after-the-amp' effects - By far, by far the OX

3.) Worst of the bunch - the Boss - more options, but dulled the sound, imho.

The Fryette is excellent for attenuation, and adds an fx loop. 

The attenuation on the OX was 'ok', but didn't reproduce the amp it was plugged into (again, imho). But the verbs, delays and iPad manipulation were outstanding, and produced some of the best sounds Ive heard.

The Boss was 'meh'  all round.

If I had the funds, Id buy the OX again. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Can you not just use the line out from your attenuator and get a IR plugin for your DAW?

Seems a bit pointless doing it in hardware in the modern world.
    edited March 2020
    Can you not just use the line out from your attenuator and get a IR plugin for your DAW?

Yep, or for a hardware solution the PS2 in to a Mooer radar or similar would be a great setup
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1360

Thanks - I looked at Two Notes WOS which would work but ideally I wanted a hardware solution so that I could gig with it if I wanted to. I'm also quite a fan if the convolution/modelling being done in local DSP as well tbh..

Si
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    I’ve just tracked an album using my Ox. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Ran my 800 and Friedman up into it for hours with no issues. The tones are brilliant. Indistinguishable from mic’d cabs. The flexibility is great. The effects are great. It also works brilliantly live, too. I’ve gone direct to the PA several times and it’s been awesome. What’s really cool about it, is that you can turn the amp volume down whilst soundchecking to really hear what’s coming through FOH. Great piece of gear. Pricey, but worth it, IMO. 
    tFB Trader
    Personally I find dicking about with too much gear at a gig just leads to problems and long set up times.

I'm either going to have a real amp moving air or something like a Helix into the desk. Everything I've tried that falls between two stools ends up not being worth the hassle.

For recording I like to do as much on the PC as I can. That way I can just capture the take and worry about what it sounds like later. I find if I'm trying to get a sound by the time I've got it sorted the inspiration has gone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1360
    Thanks to all.

Looks like I have two options based on all the feedback

1. Ox
    2. Existing Fryette Power Station 2 into something else

I think I'll give the Two-Notes WOS a go and if that works out perhaps go for a hardware unit. The post FX of the OX is tempting however.. :)
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 456
    The thing is, sometimes the right sound can make the difference between a take that is just ok or a fantastic one. I suppose we all work differently so there is no one single right or wrong way of doing things which is great.
    tFB Trader
    susbemol said:
    The thing is, sometimes the right sound can make the difference between a take that is just ok or a fantastic one. I suppose we all work differently so there is no one single right or wrong way of doing things which is great.

I can see the arguments for either.

I found a really awesome way to record was to use a blackstar id recording passthrough.

It sounded fairly shit so you just had to focus on the performance. Once that was done you could spend an hour in scuffham reamping and absolutely honing the tone.
  • Dont do it for live. At home it's a superb option.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Add a Cab M to the PS2?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    edited March 2020
    OX is a nice one box solution. Have not AB'd it directly but I currently have a Suhr RL into a Neunaber Iconoclast hardware speaker sim. Very east to use with no pissing about with IR's.
    If you bring your fryette around we can compare it with the RL and some IR's in my Wall of Sound vs the Neunaber. 

For simplicity if I were you I'd get a hardware IR loader (two notes cab M etc) if you plan to use it for regular practicing as well, that way there's no computer faff & less latency issues. 

OX is a nice one box solution. Have not AB'd it directly but I currently have a Suhr RL into a Neunaber Iconoclast hardware speaker sim. Very east to use with no pissing about with IR's.
    If you bring your fryette around we can compare it with the RL and some IR's in my Wall of Sound vs the Neunaber. 

For simplicity if I were you I'd get a hardware IR loader (two notes cab M etc) if you plan to use it for regular practicing as well, that way there's no computer faff & less latency issues. 

This.

AFAIK the OX has emulation for the speakers and Mics which is fine, but you can't load your own, you're restricted to what the give you.

I'm also not sure if you can load multiple mics on a cab, ditto the Suhr RL, which probably isn't an issue live, but maybe limiting at home.

With the CAB M, you've got up to 2 mics on a given Cab, plus power amp sims, EQ and I think compression.

First I've heard of someone not liking the TAE.
    Another option is adding a HX Fx, or stomp. I used a helix to add IRs and post amp effects.  A stomp running amp sims in to the PS could also be used as a amp less backup rig
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    tekbow said:

AFAIK the OX has emulation for the speakers and Mics which is fine, but you can't load your own, you're restricted to what the give you.

Im no expert on this, but I think thats the whole point of the OX. Simple, easy to use, but ive never heard IRs sound better than the OX.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Considering the Two Notes is less than half of the price of the OX and Boss and straddles both in functionality it’s bit of a no-brainier tbh. The only fly in the ointment atthe moment is the hold up in China, the Distributors are keeping fingers crossed but it might be marginal for the end of March 
    tekbow said:

Im no expert on this, but I think thats the whole point of the OX. Simple, easy to use, but ive never heard IRs sound better than the OX.
    I never said they did, what I said was that you're stuck with what Ox gives you, and i think you get one mic position plus a room mic? Or "room effect" rather than a mic.

The Ox is a great box, but it's really hard to say which is the best.

I'd just want something with user slots.