Universal Audio OX

What's Hot

Comments

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1360
    OX is a nice one box solution. Have not AB'd it directly but I currently have a Suhr RL into a Neunaber Iconoclast hardware speaker sim. Very east to use with no pissing about with IR's.
    If you bring your fryette around we can compare it with the RL and some IR's in my Wall of Sound vs the Neunaber. 

For simplicity if I were you I'd get a hardware IR loader (two notes cab M etc) if you plan to use it for regular practicing as well, that way there's no computer faff & less latency issues. 

Thanks mate - I'll bring the PS2 over when I pop down and we can take a listen.

Seems to me like the CAB M is probably the optimal solution at this point given that I've already got the PS2. 

I'm rigging this up with a De Lisle switcher as I sick to death of plugging stuff in and out :)

http://www.delisleguitar.com/shop/de-lisle-amp-speaker-selector-8x8-deluxe/

Si
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    edited March 2020
    I first had a suhr rl with celestion ir’s. Then I got a kemper where I mostly preferred my own j20 profile with pedals upfront. Then I got the ox which was the best of those three options. It has an amazingly spacious stereo sound with its room reverb, and a weirdly almost always in phase sound. I don’t now how they do it. Normally with a ribbon and a 57 if you flip the phase on one you would still hear the more extended low end of the ribbon, but with the ox, I remember they cancelled each other out. Voodoo! Or some severe high and low pass filtering. 

In the end I just figured I might as well use my own ribbon and 57 and do it old school
    But if I were to find one at my doorstep again, I probably would keep it for it’s nice and easy processed sound. 

Feel wise though, you still absolutely cannot beat a couple of real mics. It still feels more direct and alive, not regarding sound. 

The attenuation was not flawless. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 119
    I use the OX just for the speaker sim into headphones. It's great at that.

I had previously toyed with things I could foresee incorporating into my live rig like an unleash or power station, but neither of them had decent amp sim. I tried it into a mooer radar but wasn't that impressed. 

So now I'm resigned to having an attenuator for live and the OX for home.

When I play my amp into the OX and into headphones I'm 100% convinced it's an amp in the room. Very impressive.

But it is pricey, especially as I'm only using a small part of its functionality, and I'm tempted to have another look at the two notes stuff.
  • onyironyir Frets: 58
    I think you also need to consider whether you actually want to use the effects (in the load) live. The effects from the OX don't come out the speaker cab, but the Boss TAE and the fryette can do
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 456
    I also use a PS2 (mostly as loadbox with IRs/Two Notes software in the DAW, not very often as a reamp/attenuator device) and it really is an excellent piece of kit. I would love to check out an OX in person but I don't know anyone who owns one so that will probably have to wait for quite some time.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    OX is a fabulous piece of kit - use it for home practice through headphones for the last few years - it’s going nowhere - I’ve tried load box into PC for IRs etc, what an absolute faff, I value my time way more than that! 
  • I've tried the OX once or twice in store and it's never blown my balls off to the point where I think, "that's a whole lot better than my setup, I need it". And anyone that knows me knows I don't need an excuse to spend money on the latest and greatest! Are people hearing some voodoo that I'm not?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    onyir said:
    I think you also need to consider whether you actually want to use the effects (in the load) live. The effects from the OX don't come out the speaker cab, but the Boss TAE and the fryette can do
    Ultimately, this was the biggest failing of the OX for me. Nonetheless, those sounds that came after the amp (i.e. the effects) were truly superb.

I loved the functionality of the Boss; it just sounded a bit ‘meh/ok’ to me.
    onyir said:
    I'm not bothered about live post dynamics/fx for live - It's more for recording and the Ox seems very capable in that regard.

Early days but I'm currently leaning towards the CAB M at this point given that I've already got a PS2 for attenuation duties and the price difference is significant. I can feed thew CAB M from the line out of the Fryette and then take that into my DAW and process from there.

I'm in no rush so will take a listen to the Ox and Two-Notes and then decide on the best way forward,

Thanks for the input all.

Si
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    Ive got a Boss TUE which Im happy for you to try out if we ever get to the same Jam event. Can bring the laptop and tweak setting in software/record some riffs as well if needed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    @mrkb ;
     Thanks mate..
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 856
    onyir said:
    Ultimately, this was the biggest failing of the OX for me. Nonetheless, those sounds that came after the amp (i.e. the effects) were truly superb.

I get a bit confused about this. Have been mulling over getting an Ox for my old Jcm 800 combo. The idea would be to act as an attenuator but also to add reverb and delay after the distortion. @Wazmeister ;Would I not hear those effects through the speaker cab? Do they only get added to the line out? 
    I messaged Two Notes re the new Captor X and they confirmed that reverb would only be added to the line out, not to the sound coming from the cab after the unit. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    mattdavis said:
    onyir said:

I get a bit confused about this. Have been mulling over getting an Ox for my old Jcm 800 combo. The idea would be to act as an attenuator but also to add reverb and delay after the distortion. @Wazmeister ;Would I not hear those effects through the speaker cab? Do they only get added to the line out? 
    I messaged Two Notes re the new Captor X and they confirmed that reverb would only be added to the line out, not to the sound coming from the cab after the unit. 
    That’s exactly right.. to add post amp effects you need to run the line out through the effects and an external power amp then in to your cab.  The only thing I know of that does what you’re looking for is a powerstation.

im running a JCM800 in to a torpedo captor in to a helix for effects and cab sims out to a FRFR speaker and it sounds amazing 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    mattdavis said:
    onyir said:

Had a chat with the Two Notes chap at the Bham show and also the Distributors, there are lots of software and firmware bits and bobs in the pipeline so I wouldn’t count it out
    Thing is two notes don’t currently have any hardware that would support this.  The captor and captor x have a very limited resistive attenuator that’s not part of the reactive load circuit as far as I can tell, and the reload would need an effects loop adding to the powered out, quite an omission and an easy fix but would require a new model.  Other that the powerstation The only option is running another power amp post effects
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    John_A said:
    mattdavis said:
    onyir said:

That’s exactly right.. to add post amp effects you need to run the line out through the effects and an external power amp then in to your cab.  The only thing I know of that does what you’re looking for is a powerstation.

TAE also
    tekbow said

TAE also
    thats so expensive I deliberately forgot about it :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    edited March 2020
    I agree 100% with video, especially with regard to live use...

https://youtu.be/q_W7PFoLaGs
  • John_A said:
    Thing is two notes don’t currently have any hardware that would support this.  The captor and captor x have a very limited resistive attenuator that’s not part of the reactive load circuit as far as I can tell, and the reload would need an effects loop adding to the powered out, quite an omission and an easy fix but would require a new model.  Other that the powerstation The only option is running another power amp post effects
    Not sure if it’s relevant here, but it’s worth noting that the Powerstation’s effects loop is pre speaker out and post line out...so you can’t include your effects in a silent recording setup.

If I’m wrong, someone let me know! ;)
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited March 2020
    John_A said:
    For acting as an impedance load you of course want a reactive load, which the Two Notes products have. I am not convinced that a reactive attenuator would give any benefits over a resistive attenuator. An attenuator should turn things down, nothing more.

To be clear - when you connect an amp up to the Captor, it uses the reactive load. When you connect the speaker thru, then the load comes from the speaker. So the interaction between amp+speaker is still reactive. But there is a gain stage introduced in between that is passive and resistive. In this situation it's not a problem to do that because the direct connection between amp and speaker provides all the reactive elements you need.

As to having effects - just whack a pedal in the loop of your amp and call it a day guys. It's a bit more of a setup, but not too much, and being able to have control over which delays and reverbs you get access to is a boon in itself.

Bye!