I did a The Guitar Show Podcast

What's Hot

Comments

• JasonJason Frets: 1120
    tFB Trader

I never really go to games but I had been thinking this year I should make the effort toward the end of the season...oh well...

It’d be interesting to know how long the average visitor spends at the show, I certainly see people leaving ( although maybe coming back later, who knows) after what must be a maximum two hours and by late in the day the numbers inside are much lower so I doubt if many people normally  spend all day at the show.

Maybe the option of something like £15 ( or whatever) for those wanting a half day session and £20 for two sessions in a day on the understanding they have to vacate the premises for an hour in the middle. Food truck in the car park for those who have to hang around, jobs a good un. Maybe one biggest attraction per slot so if buying in advance you can choose your preference from Bumblefoot or TPS or Phil X or Barry and his Flying Ukulele or whatever. As there will be, presumably, maximum numbers per slot this might also drive up your advance sales ( basically what the Good Food Show used to do - watch James Martin make a soufflé but only if you’ve bought your tickets three months in advance). 

I remember years ago someone did a bit of research ( probably not very accurately ) on visitors to Coventry. Both cathedrals, the Godiva clock and a cup of coffee and done in two hours.  I think the point being is that the tolerance for taking an interest in something isn’t that high, a 4 hour slot would probably be fine for most people. 

It used to be about 3 hours, but as the show has got better it has extended, I even have some visitors coming for both full days now.

I think that for the vast majority 4-5 hours would be fine, my main concern is the exhibitors being prepared to do it. I guess some will, some won't, I have an in box of emails from new companies asking to do it, so they at least are looking ahead favourably.

I just hope that the visitors are understanding of all events and the measures that will have to take place, hopefully for only 1 year.

Whilst I like the food truck in the car park idea, I am aware its in February and I know I've been generally really lucky, its still a bit nippy out there, still, a hot coffee and a dirty burger, they'll be fine :-)
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    I think as long as you retain the curry stand everyone will be happy - even though most curry in the Midlands is that good ;)  I didn't get to the show this time for various reasons but I've always enjoyed it, especially since I befriended the ACS people.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I think as long as you retain the curry stand everyone will be happy - even though most curry in the Midlands is that good ;)  I didn't get to the show this time for various reasons but I've always enjoyed it, especially since I befriended the ACS people.

Curry isn't going anywhere :-)
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3027
    Just to distract from all this chat about Curry.    Really enjoyed the show this week.  Loved the interview with Thorpy.  Ive read his wise comments on here for many years so it was great to hear the man in person.      Thanks to you and Ant for putting these out.  

tFB Trader
    Just to distract from all this chat about Curry.    Really enjoyed the show this week.  Loved the interview with Thorpy.  Ive read his wise comments on here for many years so it was great to hear the man in person.      Thanks to you and Ant for putting these out.  
    Cheers, really appreciate that 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    Great again this week. What an interesting and eloquent bloke Mikey is. Top stuff.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

tFB Trader
    Great again this week. What an interesting and eloquent bloke Mikey is. Top stuff.

Cheers mate, glad you enjoyed it, Matt from Monty's next
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    From your earlier comments @Jason - 1) Extend the opening hours, but make it an AM or PM ticket, so the same number of people can come but only half at at time. Have a break in the middle of the day, everyone out, clean loos, catering area etc, let the afternoon's visitors in. This would probably require the show going from 10.00 - 17.00 to 10.00 - 20.00. To do this I would require the agreement of all exhibitors, afterall they can't go

One option is to go Fri/Sat/Sun - but with loading in then moving to Thurs and sorting out Monday when we all return to base, then 5 days is probably to long and more substantial costs for all - On that basis I can see merit on a Sat running 10-8 in 2 shifts - I'd still see Sunday as 10-5 as we all have to pack up and go home - I live close by and would struggle to be back home, unloaded etc by 8pm, based on a  5pm shut down - So would not want to see that move to 11pm

Now you have conquered the noise issue based on the 2020 show, then continue with this theme and I would have no issue with a 10-8 Sat shift - I can't see it costing any more, but not excessively as man power will be the main expense - But more visitors should create more sales, so who is complaining - It would be nice if we did a 10-8 shift that for say 40 mins to 60 mins we can have a complete break, no noise, no customers and time for a quick sit down, eat, drink, relax, tidy up the stand/re-stock and then continue - I see more positives than negatives with this
    tFB Trader
    From your earlier comments @Jason - 1) Extend the opening hours, but make it an AM or PM ticket, so the same number of people can come but only half at at time. Have a break in the middle of the day, everyone out, clean loos, catering area etc, let the afternoon's visitors in. This would probably require the show going from 10.00 - 17.00 to 10.00 - 20.00. To do this I would require the agreement of all exhibitors, afterall they can't go

One option is to go Fri/Sat/Sun - but with loading in then moving to Thurs and sorting out Monday when we all return to base, then 5 days is probably to long and more substantial costs for all - On that basis I can see merit on a Sat running 10-8 in 2 shifts - I'd still see Sunday as 10-5 as we all have to pack up and go home - I live close by and would struggle to be back home, unloaded etc by 8pm, based on a  5pm shut down - So would not want to see that move to 11pm

Now you have conquered the noise issue based on the 2020 show, then continue with this theme and I would have no issue with a 10-8 Sat shift - I can't see it costing any more, but not excessively as man power will be the main expense - But more visitors should create more sales, so who is complaining - It would be nice if we did a 10-8 shift that for say 40 mins to 60 mins we can have a complete break, no noise, no customers and time for a quick sit down, eat, drink, relax, tidy up the stand/re-stock and then continue - I see more positives than negatives with this

Cheers Mark, lets see what the summer brings and then I'll decide - Sunday close time noted :-)
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1292
    Is there some way to download these rather than stream online? I may be a bit of a luddite but I can't seem to find a download button on any of the linked platforms.
    tFB Trader
    Is there some way to download these rather than stream online? I may be a bit of a luddite but I can't seem to find a download button on any of the linked platforms.

Hi, I download podcasts on my phone via the podcast app (via iTunes) if that helps, I'm sure that android have similar apps too

Hope that helps

Jason
    I don't have a smartphone - I'm on a laptop. I can't see any way to download on any of the platforms.

I like to listen to podcasts in the bath so I download them onto a memory stick and have a little mp3 player/speaker thingy.
    tFB Trader
    I don't have a smartphone - I'm on a laptop. I can't see any way to download on any of the platforms.

I like to listen to podcasts in the bath so I download them onto a memory stick and have a little mp3 player/speaker thingy.

My Macbook has a podcast app on it, not sure about PC, but I would have thought they would have one available...?

What do you use to download others? Maybe the podcast platform has that too, let me know and I'll check
    I usually download from Podbean or from the BBC.
    tFB Trader
    I usually download from Podbean or from the BBC.

It doesn't look they they offer a download, I could stick them up on soundcloud if thats any use?
    That would work for me. Already have a soundcloud account. Thanks.
    tFB Trader
    Ok, give a couple of days to set up an account etc. I’ll post here when it’s done 
    tFB Trader

Hi, the first 5 are up, just awaiting them to update the profile to Pro so I can upload the rest

https://soundcloud.com/user-852421312 -  9-42 TheGuitarShowPodcast

Thanks. I'll look forward to listening over the coming weeks.
    tFB Trader
    Thanks. I'll look forward to listening over the coming weeks.

Hello, the rest are done now, all in to a 9-42 playlist
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom